Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Earthbound Question.  (Read 1367 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Earthbound Question.
« on: March 06, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »

In the beginning of the game, when Pokey and Picky join you, what's all that they can do?

(Play dead ect)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Earthbound Question.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:35:38 pm »

Aren't those just skills npc's use who don't permanently join your party?

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:56:25 pm »

Picky tries to be useful, mostly. Pokey will throw shoes, apologize profusely, use you as a shield, play dead...I think he does a couple more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

EDIT:

Here, full list.
Pokey's "skills" as a temporary party member in EarthBound are as follows:
Complains to Ness.
Uses Ness as a shield.
Pretends to cry.
Smiles insincerely.
Plays dead.
Thinks to himself.
Apologizes profusely.
Tries to edge closer to the enemy.
Acts all innocent.

Picky provides some small aid to Ness in battle during this initial part of the game, although his attacks only cause 1 point of damage, and sometimes he chants a completely useless spell.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:58:16 pm by creodor »
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:31:01 pm »

Man I love this game so much.

But yeah, Pokey's useless and annoying, mostly.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »

Man I love this game so much.

But yeah, Pokey's useless and annoying, mostly.

Until
he becomes an antagonist.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 09:04:44 pm »

Well I feel like he's always an antagonist. He just increases in... antagonicity?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:11:31 pm »

I thought it was a bit cheap how he suddenly jumped from annoying neighbor kid to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, but yea, he's completely useless as a party member.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 10:04:57 pm »

I thought it was a bit cheap how he suddenly jumped from annoying neighbor kid to
, but yea, he's completely useless as a party member.

I dunno, I think he basically went about the same length of journey as Ness did. Not to mention he had tons of help from Gygas' power.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:18:43 pm »

I wonder if they're ever going to make a fourth Earthbound game. Mother 3, despite not coming stateside, had a lot of love put into it, and seeing the series end at that is slightly disappointing.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:22:19 pm »

Considering people petitioned hardcore for about a decade- sending Nintendo entire binders full of signatures year after year- I think some patience might be in order before ruminating on a fourth.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »

Until
he becomes an antagonist.

I played it for about 30 minutes a year or two ago, before concluding that it was a really badly designed game with what appeared to be a generic plot (in the beginning, at any rate) about yet another child hero. I could complain about the spoiler, but it was so bad (and the constant random encounters so annoying) that I've never played it again since that one time, and probably never will.

This may be hype backlash.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 10:54:46 pm »

I feel the game suffered from poor dialogue, complete lack of characterization, and mediocre story. The RPG mechanics were sound, although the balance was a bit off in a few areas. It's one of those games were it's good, but not nearly as good as the fans sometimes like to say. The story gets a slight redemption from being nonsensical in that the whole thing is obviously supposed to be nonsense to begin with, but either the localization was poor, I ran into a major glitch in my emulation legally purchased copy of the game, or I'm a moron, but everything in the game was just a stupid joke. I can see why it sold terribly in America and did well in Japan.

Mother 3 is a far superior game. The story's better since it's not a complete joke like Earthbound's was. The plot isn't ridiculous, either. In fact, it's almost too serious to accommodate the ridiculous shit that's happening. The characters have a reason to be there besides to help the protagonist (ok, that's Boney's entire backstory, but he's a dog). There's no weird hanging plot hole where your parents are just ok with you wandering around in a world full of monsters and shit. It's just a much better game in general.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 11:36:44 pm »

Earthbound sorta makes some sense if you play the original mother game. Not that the two plots are tied togheder or anything (well, they are, but in a very loose way), but you at least get to know that gygas actualy has a purpose comming back other then CONQUERING EVERYTHING FOR THE EVULS. It was an ok game, gameplay wasn't very special and the atmosphere wasn't quite enjoyable till the last part of the game (were everything is turned inside out and suddenly there's cosmic horror and and suffering and is that a vagina analogy?).

Mother 3 was indeed superior altough not nearly as creepy (it was going to be actualy, if you search youtube you can find a video of an unused background for the last fight, and its pretty creepy), altough you get people dying around you, general suffering, and

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:40:24 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 11:40:36 pm »

The game had embedded copy protection that caused serious glitches if it was copied improperly.

As for the jokes, yeah, it was pretty heavy with the jokes, but I didn't think the plot holes were that major. You went out at night to check out something cool that happened, and start getting attacked by wild animals. Odd, but once you know the whole plot, understandable. Then you head out to town in the morning, get jumped by a gang, trounce the gang, and investigate something interesting nearby. Plus there is the fact that learn later that he had PK powers basically as soon as he was born and was very self sufficient as a kid as a result.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 12:26:09 am »

The removed rope snake background was seriously creepy. No clue why they took out out.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: [1] 2