Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No flux?  (Read 1720 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No flux?
« on: March 06, 2011, 05:58:17 pm »

I set my sitefinder to look for flux, it gave me a bunch of results, I embarked, dug down and got nothing but siltstone and no flux! I've modded marble to not be flux so it shouldn't be deeper down. What's going on, is there a new flux stone?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No flux?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:20:39 pm »

Use dfhack (dfprospector or dfreveal) to check if there really is none. Chances are you have just missed it.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:21:55 pm »

Well I've noticed that some sites have flux listed on the side along with shallow metals, soil etc, but most that come up on the sitefinder as having flux don't say that.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:37:54 pm »

Did you just randomly place your embark in one of the locations marked as OK for your criteria? Because there can be multiple biomes in those, and not all of them necessary are what asked for. Sometimes the area that actually fits your search is just one square in the corner of the mini-map, or it might require you to place your site between multiple biomes.

You still need to actually check what you are picking, the site finder just shows where you can potentially get what you want.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:40:25 pm »

I've checked, and they rarely actually say flux stones in any of the biomes. Also, can't use DFprospector yet as it's not been updated for .20 :(

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:44:19 pm »

But is there at least one biome with flux, no matter how small, in those map squares the site finder marks as okay? And you didn't get "partial match" instead?

wwWraith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 06:49:46 pm »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 06:51:29 pm »

Ah, so it's a known bug. How annoying! Thing is though, if I set all the site finder parameters to N/A apart from flux, it finds the flux no problem. Only then I end up with a lot of undesirable sites to sift through.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:12:08 pm »

I've done a few flux embarks in .19.  Every time it's marble, relatively close to the magma sea.  Though, I haven't found any sandstone, limestone, or dolomite, either.  Probably just my screwy worldgen.

New version has a mineral availability worldgen parameter though.

Rimbecano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:51 pm »

I found a flux embark with surface limestone.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »

I actually had the opposite problem a day or 2 ago. I was looking for a site with absolutely nothing on it. The embark listed "some soil" and nothing else, I even went back and checked for multiple biomes which there was none. And I found several mineral types and even a marble layer.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:47:58 pm »

I actually had the opposite problem a day or 2 ago. I was looking for a site with absolutely nothing on it. The embark listed "some soil" and nothing else, I even went back and checked for multiple biomes which there was none. And I found several mineral types and even a marble layer.
I see this pretty common. Not seeing a "flux" indicator on the embark screen isn't always a sign that there is no flux. This is also linked into the site finder, though; if you search for a site with flux it'll return sites that don't have flux listed but actually do have flux.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 12:05:59 am »

I don't use the embark finder. Habit from it being completely useless for so long. I do all my searching manually.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 12:15:40 am »

I just did a little experimentation, and in .20 it seems that even if your first stone layer is flux you wont get the indication on the embark screen.

Do ascertain this I went and set limestone and chalk to have the aquifer tag and remove aquifers from everything else.  I then went and looked around a couple worlds and not a single area which showed an aquifer also showed flux.  It appears that it is even more broken now than before.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 07:33:23 am »

Odd, since I have seen some sites marked as having "Flux stone". Has anyone else seen this? I've not actually embarked on them to check anything yet, but once DFProspector is updated I'll check them out.

Sod it, I'm going to mod every sedimentary rock layer to be flux, that should increase my chances a little.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:23:08 am by Chattox »
Pages: [1] 2