Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Mineral Occurrence Setting  (Read 44825 times)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mineral Occurrence Setting
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 11:09:56 pm »

I genned a world with a scarcity value of 1000, and I received a multitude of hits for sites with multiple shallow and deep minerals, flux stone, no aquifers, clay and at least some soil (my best guess is 100+ hits on a large map, quite possibly higher).

On my first embark I'm finding a significant amounts of copper (various forms) and lignite as well as useful amounts of gold and bauxite. I've dug down 15 Z levels so far (1st cavern), and have not conducted significant exploratory mining.

My gut feeling is this is slightly too much metal for me. I'm guessing I have enough copper to never need to worry about it absent a massive arms industry, and enough gold to make some high value objects for significant dwarves. I have enough lignite that I don't need charcoal.

Are people finding a Goldilocks setting?

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 11:14:37 pm »

I genned a world with a scarcity value of 1000, and I received a multitude of hits for sites with multiple shallow and deep minerals, flux stone, no aquifers, clay and at least some soil (my best guess is 100+ hits on a large map, quite possibly higher).

On my first embark I'm finding a significant amounts of copper (various forms) and lignite as well as useful amounts of gold and bauxite. I've dug down 15 Z levels so far (1st cavern), and have not conducted significant exploratory mining.

My gut feeling is this is slightly too much metal for me. I'm guessing I have enough copper to never need to worry about it absent a massive arms industry, and enough gold to make some high value objects for significant dwarves. I have enough lignite that I don't need charcoal.

Are people finding a Goldilocks setting?

No luck yet, I think. I genned a 2500 world in a 3x3 embark, got the reasonable sum of 3k gold in all map but ONLY gold, despite the embark saying it was metals that the site had. It seems that "deep metal" is bugged in the embark screen, as it seems it list junk stone as deep metal. something between 2000-3000 seems good, what is screwed is the variety.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 11:34:33 pm »

So I just ran dfprospector (hey, it's not cheating if it's for science!) and on a flat 3X3 embark I have:

1683 hematite
2203 tetrahedrite
2353 malachite
2758 lignite
5390 native silver
9891 bauxite
531 candyfloss

This feels a little high to me, given that I like to keep my forts around 50 dwarves or so.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 11:40:59 pm »

What I don't get is... if regular setting (2500) is like .18, then what on earth is 100,000 like?  It would be like a stone-age scenario where everyone fights with bone and rock weapons, except for the god-like people with the magical shiny copper axe.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 11:43:04 pm »

What I don't get is... if regular setting (2500) is like .18, then what on earth is 100,000 like?  It would be like a stone-age scenario where everyone fights with bone and rock weapons, except for the god-like people with the magical shiny copper axe.

The regular setting isn't like .18, 650 or so seems to be like .18.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 11:47:12 pm »

Sorry, I mean .19

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 11:48:49 pm »

It would be like this:

Set mineral scarcity to maximum (100000), and ended up with no dwarf cultures that I could buy iron ore from. After embarking in a 6x6 area, I took a look with dhprospector.

MILK OPAL : 14
QUARTZ_ROSE : 106
MOSS OPAL : 127
LAPIS LAZULI : 149
OPAL_HARLEQUIN : 167
PYROLUSITE : 170
RED PYROPE : 178
RHODOLITE : 265
PYRITE : 279
TETRAHEDRITE : 884
SPINEL_PURPLE : 1136
VIOLET SPESSARTINE : 2937
PRASE OPAL : 4484
CLEAR ZIRCON : 5778
MOSS AGATE : 6133
HELIODOR : 7791
RAW_ADAMANTINE : 8430
OPAL_LEVIN : 8941
HORNBLENDE : 19858
WOOD OPAL : 30655
SPHALERITE : 43763
CINNABAR : 52784
SLADE : 213924

Yes, that's 884 tetrahedrite in an entire 6x6 region, and it doesn't seem particularly unique. Obviously higher settings make minerals more scarce. Strangely, quantities of slade and adamantine seem about the same as usual, so I guess they're generated using a different algorithm.

An 6x6 embark with TETRAHEDRITE : 884. You can't even build a pump stack with this, I think.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 11:58:57 pm »

It would be like this:

Set mineral scarcity to maximum (100000), and ended up with no dwarf cultures that I could buy iron ore from. After embarking in a 6x6 area, I took a look with dhprospector.

MILK OPAL : 14
QUARTZ_ROSE : 106
MOSS OPAL : 127
LAPIS LAZULI : 149
OPAL_HARLEQUIN : 167
PYROLUSITE : 170
RED PYROPE : 178
RHODOLITE : 265
PYRITE : 279
TETRAHEDRITE : 884
SPINEL_PURPLE : 1136
VIOLET SPESSARTINE : 2937
PRASE OPAL : 4484
CLEAR ZIRCON : 5778
MOSS AGATE : 6133
HELIODOR : 7791
RAW_ADAMANTINE : 8430
OPAL_LEVIN : 8941
HORNBLENDE : 19858
WOOD OPAL : 30655
SPHALERITE : 43763
CINNABAR : 52784
SLADE : 213924

Yes, that's 884 tetrahedrite in an entire 6x6 region, and it doesn't seem particularly unique. Obviously higher settings make minerals more scarce. Strangely, quantities of slade and adamantine seem about the same as usual, so I guess they're generated using a different algorithm.

An 6x6 embark with TETRAHEDRITE : 884. You can't even build a pump stack with this, I think.

That should be enough copper to build a 400+ tall pump stack if you use stone blocks...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 12:02:29 am »

If you could just make pump components out of gems, you could make a massive stack out of wood opals.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 12:04:00 am »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:03:44 pm by arkhometha »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 12:08:19 am »

Such a downer. I can't even exaggerate.

What I'm trying to say it's that there's not enough to equip a military and establish a long term trading industry based on metal working. Your export industry could be food, beer and some clothes but then you would be an elf farmer not a dwarf!

Dwarven Syrup roasts...  Need I say more?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 12:14:02 am »

Granted, a 6x6 embark with such little tetra... that's 82,944 tiles square on a 6x6, with 844 over the whole map.  That's ~0.0102 tetra per tile.  My maps are always ~100 deep, not counting caverns because they're open space.  Assuming the lower 1/3 of the map has tetra (which is true of my current embark) that's... something around .000034 tetra per tile I think, under the third cavern only.

Too much numbers for you?
That's like one piece of tetra for every 20,000+ tiles explored.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 12:24:19 am »

Such a downer. I can't even exaggerate.

What I'm trying to say it's that there's not enough to equip a military and establish a long term trading industry based on metal working. Your export industry could be food, beer and some clothes but then you would be an elf farmer not a dwarf!

Dwarven Syrup roasts...  Need I say more?

Less dwarfy than selling steel axes for humans to destroy elven forests.

And Girlinhat added a point that I overlooked:

How the hell could you find this small quantity of metal to build the pump stack without cheating?
You could always dig the entire map and take a shit load of time and find it, but that would be stupid dwarfy.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:30:36 am by arkhometha »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 12:32:48 am »

It would be much quicker to actually trade wooden crafts to buy steel, that to actually mine out that tetra.  It would be quicker to sell seeds to buy steel, for that matter.  Hell, it would be quicker to wait for the off-chance that a trader should happen to die of old age while at your fort, and drop some steel bars at the depot, rather than mine out that tetra.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 12:37:00 am »

So gems = minerals in the finder? Hopefully iron will be a little more readily available...

(Waiting to get my computer back before I download 31.21 - 8 months old.  First time it went in it got a new hard drive.  This time, apparently, a new motherboard... Can hardly wait to see what's next...)

Because DF players are heavily into pain.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9