Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building a pyramid, suggestions please!  (Read 691 times)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building a pyramid, suggestions please!
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:53:01 pm »

My current fortress in the desert has a bit of a pyramid thing going on. We already have 1 1/2 small ones where all the peons go after having too much !!FUN!! (construction had to be accelerated after a tantrum spiral which killed about 60 of them) and every noble, and maybe some of the mightier warriors, is going to get one to himself when he dies. But I've also been building a much, much bigger one over my main fortress entrance (the actual fort is half a dozen z's down underneath an aquifer) and the thought just struck me... what am i going to do with this bloody great pyramid?

To use it for burial seems wasteful, as does just leaving it empty. It doesn't necessarily have to stay as the fort's entrance (I am sinking another hole through the aquifer for underground above-ground farming, and i could put the entrance in there if necessary), but I am wondering whether i could make it into a deathmaze. But does anyone have any more imaginative suggestions?

For info the actual pyramid is 21x25 tiles at the base, with an additional 6-tile wide terrace up to the first level.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Re: Building a pyramid, suggestions please!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:12:25 pm »

Giant drowning chameber, using aquifer for gathering water and then draining it!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:24:23 pm »

Bury some cats alive in it.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 03:17:46 pm »

To use it for burial seems wasteful, as does just leaving it empty. It doesn't necessarily have to stay as the fort's entrance (I am sinking another hole through the aquifer for underground above-ground farming, and i could put the entrance in there if necessary), but I am wondering whether i could make it into a deathmaze. But does anyone have any more imaginative suggestions?

Fill it with lava and have lever-controlled floodgates at the base.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:24:31 pm »

I don't have any magma yet, sadly, but using water is not a bad suggestion. Also I think whatever I do with the interior, I'll fortify the terrace and put siege weapons on top of it. They can fire across z-levels, right? Because from there they'll have a commanding view over the whole map  8)
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:06:55 pm »

Btw I just noticed that my militia commander is carrying two swords. In one hand. And a shield in the other. How does that even work?

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 06:15:27 pm »

Btw I just noticed that my militia commander is carrying two swords. In one hand. And a shield in the other. How does that even work?
Big hands , Duh
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 06:21:01 pm »

See if it improves his combat effectiveness...