Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Find dwarves based on skill  (Read 5427 times)

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Find dwarves based on skill
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:22:28 pm »

I often find myself in a situation where I have a particular job I want to get done (like, say, weave thread into cloth) but I don't know if I have any dwarves with that job enabled or with ranks in that skill.  What I end up doing is finding some dwarf that has nothing to do and assigning him to that task, but if I keep doing that I might end up with a set of dwarves that have a tiny amount of skill in a bunch of different professions with nobody being particularly good at this particular skill.  This gets harder to manage the more dwarves that I have.  I end up with a fortress full of jacks-of-all-trades with nobody being particularly good at anything unless they came to my fortress that way.

It would be a lot easier if I could somehow search for dwarves with a particular skill or see all dwarves that have any ranks at all in that skill.

Anybody have any good suggestions on how to handle this sort of thing, short of looking at each dwarf individually for anyone with that particular skill?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Find dwarves based on skill
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:27:27 pm »

You need dwarf therapist:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.0

It's a seperate program that runs alongside DF, you can change job assignments in DF using therapists interface.  It will make your live much easier, I don't know how I managed to play DF without it.

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:29:07 pm »

Ooo, I was hoping there was something like that.  I just couldn't find it.  I'll give it a try, thanks!  :D

MatterStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:15:46 pm »

Yes, Dwarf Therapist is great for that. Also though, I customize the profession names for all my dwarves. So when a migrant comes with Expert Armorer, I give that guy the Armorer profession and name his profession Armorer. So even if he also has High Master Fish Cleaner and there's not a water source without alligators, I can know that he's an Armorer. In addition, I make it "Armorer-" so I know which Dwarves have been assigned a custom profession.

This probably isn't necessary, but I like it.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:42:22 pm »

Any one have ETA on Dwarf therapist for 31.20?
I was also wondering, since there is not much difference in .19 and .20, if i could just tell my .19 DT that it is in fact compatible with .20 and not to get so hung up on numbers.
Is it possible to update it myself as a band-aid fix. I'm having DT withdrawal pangs and i only DLed .20 an hour ago.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 02:58:56 pm »

I was also wondering, since there is not much difference in .19 and .20, if i could just tell my .19 DT that it is in fact compatible with .20 and not to get so hung up on numbers.
You may be able to modify the data file for .19 to claim that it is for .20, thus tricking DT to think that it is compatible, but don't think this would actually *make* DT compatible.  Short answer; no.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 03:02:36 pm »

I would suggest checking out the DT specific thread over in the modding section for questions about when it will be updated to work with .20.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.