Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sounds  (Read 1309 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Sounds
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:34:54 am »

Well, I've been messing with creating more sounds, it's currently only capybaras so I thought, why not add some ambience in when you're playing, so I've been tweaking some sounds for sentient races coughing, yawning, muttering, sighing etc. which looks quite nice.

But, you don't even need to use sounds, of course. I got my adventurer to 'stretch' etc.

So this is all nice and good and such. But.

Does anyone know what tags there are for sounds in situations. I mean, there's alert and peaceful, in the capybara. And that's it. Is there any way of finding if toady added any more which could be used? Currently we can only have peaceful chattering and alerts, which (as far as I have seen) don't continue after the first alert (so we can't have roaring with rage etc. in combat)

(BTW. if this goes well I will start adding in some sounds for all major animals as a mod.)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:00:51 am »

How do these sounds work? Got a SS?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:02:11 am »

Not actual sounds... have you read the info on capybaras in the update news?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:10:28 am »

I did but i don't understand it fully. The impression i got was that in adventure mode they would give messages in the event log saying whatever the raws give them but i cant see any thing like this in the arena and don't have time to hunt them down to see myself.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:26:59 am »

It does, and can be seen in the arena. Basically, 'Blahblahblah barks' or whatever. Here's an example I added to dorfs:

[SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:2:10000:VOCALIZATION:mutter something to yourself:mutters something:a slight mumble]

Randomly happens in peaceful situations, range of 2 (V.small), 10000 is a time value... not sure how time runs in adv. mode in terms of individual ticks, 10000 is reasonably common, 50 seemed to trigger every turn (ie bloody annoying).

So you'll get either

'You mutter something to yourself'
or
'Dwarf1 mutters something'
or
'You here a mumble' (Out of sight. With a range of 2 it's a bit pointless really)

I also have no idea what the difference is between VOCALIZATION and NONE is.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:41:28 am »

I suspect VOCALIZATION means that the sound is related to breathing and/or the mouth, so it shuts off when the creature can't say anything.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:27 am »

Situations as in...?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 10:45:03 am »

You know, such as asphyxiation. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have anything whatsoever to do with mouthparts and instead just checked if the creature could breathe or not.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:47:01 am »

This is very exciting. So do they not do anything when alert to enemies nearby? Is there a different tag for when fighting?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:49:34 am »

That was what was being asked in the OP.

Right now, nobody knows, and the only immediate means of figuring out whatever sound types there may be is trial and error (and it'll stay that way unless either Toady tells us what the arguments are, or somebody updates the string dump).

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 10:56:34 am »

That's what I'm trying to figure out. So far I can (more or less) confirm...

Sound can be placed in ind. castes. So I've got personalised he/she etc.
Higher number means longer time periods.
Range is tiles.
3 inputs in order are 'You -', '[Creature in sight] -', 'You hear -'.
Vocalization sounds are not active when unconcious.
Neither are None sounds. Maybe it's based on breathing...
One the capybara has a sound.
The tags confirmed by the capybara are:
Code: [Select]
[SOUND:ALERT:100:1000:VOCALIZATION:bark:barks:a loud bark]
[SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:100:10000:VOCALIZATION:whistle:whistles:whistling]
[SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:25:10000:VOCALIZATION:grunt:grunts:grunt]
[SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:5:10000:VOCALIZATION:purr:purrs:purr]
[SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:25:10000:NONE:click:clicks:click]
Peaceful intermittent seems to trigger randomly in relation to time values.
Alert seems to trigger once, when the creature first seems an enemy. This allows 'The Human shouts "Hey, you're gonna die!", for example.
Dunno if it's possible to trigger in combat, like "The human roars with rage", "You scream at your opponent" etc.

Well.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:06 am »

I mean, there's alert and peaceful, in the capybara.And that's it. Is there any way of finding if toady added any more which could be used?
And that's it indeed. There are no other sound circumstances this time around. There are a few ways to create string dumps that can be checked for things like that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:50 am »

Care to suggest how?

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 11:04:08 am »

That was what was being asked in the OP.

Oops

What happens with the "you-" one if it is left empty? does nothing show or do you just get "You ..."?
I'll probably do some experimentation when i finish the world gen i'm currently working on.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 11:06:13 am »

Well, on Linux, there is a strings command that I've used. It seems there is such a program for other operation systems as well.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: [1] 2