Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Get out of my fort you god damn unicorns!!!  (Read 2186 times)

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Get out of my fort you god damn unicorns!!!
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:10:43 am »

So in my early stages of trapdom i seem to have developed a unicorn bait maze which draws them in but refuses to let them path out. They're everywhere in my fortress and more are coming in. The ones that got in have gone down my stairs to harass my masons. My hunter recently went insane and if i draft everyone into militia to attack them theyre going to get speared by magical horns :|. Arg!

Maybe this design could be used to capture other herds ....
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Get out of my fort you god damn unicorns!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:26:29 am »

It's the fenced in water, I suspect. Animals seem to gravitate to bodies of water.

Recommended Curative Measure: 10x Serrated Iron Disc Trap, repeat as needed.
Alternative: CAGE TRAPS. Lots of CAGE TRAPS. (And then apply pit and trainee marksdwarves as needed.)

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:38:14 am »

Yeah thats the problem i havent got the resources for traps yet. I ended up drafting 10 axe dwarves to attack the unicorns. it ended badly... 7 dead many otherd critically injured. Those god damn horns. I need war Unicorns
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:14:24 am »

Reminds me of when Mountain Goats somehow got into my fort and into my farming chamber. They just kept being scared deeper in whenever they tried to leave, and in the end they just got stuck in the plumbing.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:21:27 am »

All you need for a cage trap is 1 stone and 1 wood which you can change into a mechanism and a cage. It's really basic material and you might want to invest in it.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:45:53 am »

All you need for a cage trap is 1 stone and 1 wood which you can change into a mechanism and a cage. It's really basic material and you might want to invest in it.

Yeah until i breach the aquifer alls i have is the blocks of marble and bars of coke i brought with me.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 12:54:04 pm »

Build a door, make it tightly closed.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 02:53:41 pm »

Yeah thing is they were already in so putting a door there wasnt going to do much good. I hadnt suspected theyd be stupid enough with all my hunters going in and out

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »

I keep getting wolves in my forts... why those furry bastards want to hang out in my stockpiles and cancel jobs is anyone's guess.  I started either leaving a good axedwarf on patrol around the fort, and/or a few cages at the front to catch them, THEN have the axedwarf finish them.  Wolf Leather Socks for everyone!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 07:03:01 pm »

Are you crazy? Don't get rid of them! Mod them to lay eggs and make nest boxes for them. Breed them for their bones and sweet, sweet unicorn flesh.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 07:25:36 pm »

Are you crazy? Don't get rid of them! Mod them to lay eggs and make nest boxes for them. Breed them for their bones and sweet, sweet unicorn flesh.

Although I've tried to capture a few of them in cages there seems to be more than enough wild herds of them to feed my meat grinders while training my archers.

I have modded them to be trainable and pets though so hopefully if i can catch a breeding pair i can train loads of war unicorns

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:27:11 pm »

If they're giving that much trouble to soldiers, just think about goblins.  Too bad we don't have mounts yet...

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 08:37:29 pm »

That is a cool fort.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »

You could just use dfliquids and encase them all in obsidian. Just a thought.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 09:46:39 pm »

If they're giving that much trouble to soldiers, just think about goblins.  Too bad we don't have mounts yet...

No mounts yet. But if i can get these unicorns to breed at any reasonable rate my militia commander will have quiet a few new war animals with him for the next siege/megabeast

You could just use dfliquids and encase them all in obsidian. Just a thought.

Yeah I ended up using this method to catch the ones inside my fort as they were stopping everyone from eating
Pages: [1] 2