Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Games these days (Soapbox rant)  (Read 4756 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Games these days (Soapbox rant)
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 12:39:39 am »

You're deliberately missing the point Max White. The point fqllve is making is that for instance. The two newest Call of Duty games spend a LOT of time telling the mostly passable storylines in a dull and drawn out way. Which makes them appear to be filler. In black ops especially the scene where you meet with Kennedy does nothing to advance or add to the plot other than use some of the models they made for the map "Five".

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2011, 12:59:09 am »

You're deliberately missing the point Max White. The point fqllve is making is that for instance. The two newest Call of Duty games spend a LOT of time telling the mostly passable storylines in a dull and drawn out way. Which makes them appear to be filler. In black ops especially the scene where you meet with Kennedy does nothing to advance or add to the plot other than use some of the models they made for the map "Five".
Yes, this is exactly the point I was trying to make.

'Story heavy' is what all games should be, but that doesn't have to involve a direct plot.
I'm more inclined to agree with this with your definition of story than mine (which was essentially story = narrative), but I still don't feel that every game needs to be story heavy. Games are defined by gameplay not story, after all. In most cases, yeah, you're gonna need some characterization, scene setting, plot, etc to keep the player interested, but the more fun your gameplay is the less important these things are.

Of course, combine great gameplay and an excellent story and well...
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 05:21:56 am »

I won't comment on the industry as a whole but I do think Nintendo has gone downhill. I don't mean this across the board as, after a dodgy patch, Mario games are doing ok but the Zelda franchise is another story. Zelda games were my introduction to gaming so there is a certain amount of nostalgia involved but they have been getting much shorter and with the two DS games more mediocre. Prime example being Wind waker: brilliant design, very playable, felt like a return to LTTP (likely the music), but should have been longer as was planned.

Now that I've ranted a little I'm in the mood to comment on the industry as a whole. Not having a PC at the time I've had to go back and play a lot of old classics and I'm still surprised at how different they are from one another. The mainstream doesn't seem to offer this today and so I play more indie games than mainstream ones. I guess I'm mainly just bored with FPS mechanics and the strive for realistic graphics. I'd love to see some of the old ideas rehashed with the better technology of today.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 05:29:36 am »

Yes, that scene does add to the story for Black Ops. The impact of the scence doesn't come later, until near the climax of the game, where the big bad retorts to the protagonist saying "I will never kill the president! you failed!" or, something along those lines, and the retort was something along of "Oh you haven't?"

As when you meet the president, you're feeling a bit tripping, and you have that scene where you pull a weapon on JFK. Then it turns out that was a hallucination. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 12:50:46 pm »

That scene is actually vital to the most ridiculous bit of the storyline (I admit that I laughed as the game ended.  So.  Goddamn.  Silly).  I mean, it lets them work out what they brainwashed you to do much earlier.

And I think his response was actually just "No, we didn't fail...".

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »

The story shouldn't have to make the game, think back to your life of gaming. Weren't some of the best moments just you using the gameplay mechanics in a new/ exciting way. While there definitely should be a strong narrative to each and every game, there also needs to be a lot of game. Story just for stories sake is not fun. Part of what gaming is is being able to use the game and it's narrative to build your own unique story. I truly think this is what's missing from a lot of games

In summary
Games make the story.
Stories don't make the game.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2011, 04:51:03 pm »

In summary
Games make the story.
I can honestly say that I activate cheat codes to get through the gameplay and back into the story.

Subjectivity is an amazing thing, is it not?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2011, 04:54:29 pm »

In summary
Games make the story.
I can honestly say that I activate cheat codes to get through the gameplay and back into the story.

There are these things called books, they're kind of like video games but focus on the story.  You should try them.
Shoes...

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2011, 05:02:28 pm »

I've done the same thing. It depends on the game really. Obviously I'd never do it for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Puyo Puyo Machine, but man there was no way I was gonna finish Star Ocean 3 properly.

But any game where I feel like rushing through the gameplay to get to the next plot point gets listed under bad game. Games oughta be fun to play.

While there definitely should be a strong narrative to each and every game
It's not good to make pronouncements on what every game should have. If they add a strong narrative to Flightgear I will flip my shit, no joke.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2011, 05:05:13 pm »

There are these things called books, they're kind of like video games but focus on the story.  You should try them.
Surprisingly, and I know that with books being the Niche market they are this may surprise you, but I already have.

Anyway, have you every heard of a book that let you Choose Your Own Adventure, and wasn't complete shit?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:41 pm »

Dwarf Fortress.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2011, 05:18:52 pm »

If you haven't you should try out some visual novels. They're basically games without the gameplay.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2011, 06:41:39 pm »

Or if you're going down the cutscene route, there's computer generated movies.

I guess there could be a game where the storyline is the main focus but the gameplay contributes to it in a meaningful way.  Can't think of any, though...

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2011, 10:51:31 pm »

Hey, I got a real kick out of whatever WW2 game it was where the WW2 campaign started you out with five rounds and no ammo.  That was great, and moments like that keep me playing.

Funnily enough, I'm fairly sure that was Call of Duty; i.e. the first one.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2011, 01:05:59 am »

All art fields are dominated by profiteers. And just because those profiteers are on top doesn't mean that the medium is dying, dead, or garbage. After all, movies weren't ruined forever when Die Hard 4 came out and neither will games be ruined forever by Dead Island. Just ignore the trash if it doesn't appeal to you
This entire thread (and any thread like this that pops up on the forums) can be summed up with this paragraph. It should replace the bulletin at the top of the Other Games board, seriously.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5