Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: am i the only one?  (Read 8703 times)

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: am i the only one?
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2011, 10:56:12 pm »

i still think that people who don't enjoy music usually don't enjoy it because they never found the right music

I couldn't disagree more. This is like saying people who don't like watching ballet just haven't seen the right ballet. It's just silly.

One option is that they simply don't, for whatever reason, appreciate the ballet they have seen. No matter how many ballets you show them, this is unlikely to change. This is how MOST people are about music they don't "like".

The other option is they understand exactly whats going on, and it simply doesn't interest them. I can understand this point of view too. This is how most people are with music they USED to like but don't anymore. They understood it, they simply lost interest and no longer connect for some reason.

Considering most people have both of these to varying extents, its perfectly possible to show a person every piece of music in existence and not have them like any of them. Especially since the second bit is based on context as much as anything else - it may just be he hasn't heard the right song in the right situation, but then... there might not BE a right situation. Even if there is, there's no easy way to predict it.
Music is much older, much more diverse, and much more integral to human society than ballet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2011, 11:06:54 pm »

God people, it was a poor comparison.

We've moved on, replace instances of ballet with sports.

Or even more, fighting!

Some people just aren't interested in fighting (which I find pretty damn enjoyable in all its various incarnations). But I don't judge them for refusing themselves the enjoyment of a good fight!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2011, 11:47:28 pm »

God people, it was a poor comparison.

May the weight of the poor comparison hang 'round your neck like an albatross for all time.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2011, 12:01:14 am »

May the weight of the poor comparison hang 'round your neck like an albatross for all time.
And everything comes back to metal.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2011, 12:08:02 am »

Hmm, post rock has made some very sexy music in it's day, and it is some what unknown. Perhaps it will turn some more over to enjoying music for the sake of music? It's soft and happy, yet wussy or sugar high.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2011, 12:26:23 am »

I can't understand not liking music.

I'm sure people who don't like music can't understand liking it.

Well, I mean, I'm sure the two different sides can be UNDERSTOOD in terms of science and such, but if you don't enjoy music you don't know what it's like to experience enjoying music, and vice versa.

The two camps can't understand each other; what's the point in arguing, once it's been determined that someone isn't just a closet music-lover in denial?

That said, as long as nobody's putting anyone else down for their opinions, everything's fine by me.

Also, that Albeniz guitar piece was just awesome.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2011, 01:15:34 am »

If it helps, here is a list of things I do enjoy:

Managing projects (I have 11 going right now)
Playing games, especially incredibly intricate games (Dwarf Fortress, Aurora) which challenge me (not minecraft)
The beautiful ballistic curve of a precision suborbital munition which strikes a target halfway around the world within a tolerance of 10 meters.
Space (pretty much anything to do with it)

I think I am very very 'left brain', which impedes my appreciation of certain aspects of creative art. I analyze art and music, breaking it down into separate patterns in my head and then cataloging it. When I talk about art and music in video games, like the one I am designing, it is from the perspective of "What art style will help sell this video game? What cool thing can we do with music which will hook the artsy types?"

My mind is one of numbers and right angles. My only creative outlet is writing, really, and the only artsy thing I am really good at is creating D&D adventures and similar things. Makes me a good DM I suppose.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2011, 04:31:05 am »

If you like analysing things like that, you might want to look into the use of mathematics in music.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2011, 04:34:03 am »

I've only ever met two people who don't like music. The first simply didn't listen to it but didn't mind it. The second was a good friend of mine who could play the violin but never listened to anything outside of that. When his group of friends, myself included, found out we lent him a load of albums and now he's never without his MP3 player.

Personally I get a lot of enjoyment out of music. I do relate to people who have no real interest as I go through phases of not really enjoying it and having no real interest in playing anything.

I think I am very very 'left brain', which impedes my appreciation of certain aspects of creative art. I analyze art and music, breaking it down into separate patterns in my head and then cataloging it.
My mind is one of numbers and right angles.
I'm surprised you've never enjoyed any music for it's complexity.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2011, 06:28:04 am »

Raps good. So's power metal, metal, rock, some country, the tiniest amount of screamo and some 'sad metal' (close to emo and goth, but not quite there)
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2011, 06:50:44 am »

I do not like rap very much, but that again lyrics so often just do not do it for me, and I listen to the tune rather then the words. As such, a drum machine on repeat doesn't make for very good music.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2011, 08:15:29 am »

Sorry to repeat the guy who said this a few posts up - I didn't think it was 'possible' to not enjoy music either, but I'm fascinated to learn otherwise. Each to their own, I say; you're as free to your tastes as I am to mine. There are no absolute rights or wrongs!

Having said that, I would like to ask something, no offense intended:

Of the people here who have said they don't enjoy music, do any of you enjoy something even as technically basic as "catchy" rhythmic percussion beats? Has any musical beat, regardless of genre or accompanying instruments (if indeed, any at all) ever had the power to get you tapping a foot, or nodding your head, subconsciously or otherwise?

And:

Do random tunes ever play in your head, even if you haven't heard them in years, OR even if you don't like that piece of music (I get this a lot myself)?

I'd love to hear the answers to these!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2011, 09:01:47 am »

Raps good. So's power metal, metal, rock, some country, the tiniest amount of screamo and some 'sad metal' (close to emo and goth, but not quite there)

Now this is just my opinion. But emo? I personally can't stand the stuff. 'Cause now we got a buncha people who try to make a techno-scream hybrid. Case in point:http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2011, 09:46:51 am »

Playing games, especially incredibly intricate games (Dwarf Fortress, Aurora) which challenge me (not minecraft)
The beautiful ballistic curve of a precision suborbital munition which strikes a target halfway around the world within a tolerance of 10 meters.

I think I am very very 'left brain', which impedes my appreciation of certain aspects of creative art. I analyze art and music, breaking it down into separate patterns in my head and then cataloging it. When I talk about art and music in video games, like the one I am designing, it is from the perspective of "What art style will help sell this video game? What cool thing can we do with music which will hook the artsy types?"

My mind is one of numbers and right angles. My only creative outlet is writing, really, and the only artsy thing I am really good at is creating D&D adventures and similar things. Makes me a good DM I suppose.

you might enjoy some branches of classical music, not necessarily the baroque music that's played everywhere, but possibly some late 19th century and early 20th, look up names like bartok and mahler... then again, classical music sometimes is a bit hard to appreciate, precisely because it requires some background knowledge and an analytical mind

other things your analytical mind might enjoy is modern freeform jazz, it's often so strange it's fascinating, or perhaps some *real* folk music collected by actual ethnologists, it's like reading an encyclopedia

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

to the guys linking music and discussing which is better, etc. get a room

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2011, 09:58:14 am »

you might enjoy some branches of classical music, not necessarily the baroque music that's played everywhere, but possibly some late 19th century and early 20th, look up names like bartok and mahler... then again, classical music sometimes is a bit hard to appreciate, precisely because it requires some background knowledge and an analytical mind

other things your analytical mind might enjoy is modern freeform jazz, it's often so strange it's fascinating, or perhaps some *real* folk music collected by actual ethnologists, it's like reading an encyclopedia

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

to the guys linking music and discussing which is better, etc. get a room
reminds me of this :P
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11