Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: am i the only one?  (Read 8697 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: am i the only one?
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2011, 01:33:39 pm »

I couldn't disagree more. This is like saying people who don't like watching ballet just haven't seen the right ballet. It's just silly.

I gotta disagree there. That's limiting your argument to on genre. For example what if I said: "You probably haven't found the right kind of metal." It would be ridiculous. In this case to have an effective argument ya might wanna broaden things up.

If your not trolling your are at the very least not the owner of the human trait empathy.

Well I'm not trying to offend, so I guess I lack empathy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2011, 01:59:37 pm »

There are several genres of ballet.

But even Even if they split it into a hundred different variants though, where people wore predominantly one color or another and moved in certain ways and so on and so forth, its still doesn't mean everyone will like ballet.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2011, 02:00:02 pm »

I don't like watching *any* sports. Feel free to use that as a slightly better analogy.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2011, 02:01:41 pm »

Yeah, that ones better. Because I'm the same way. And since I PLAY sports and enjoy them and understand them, but still abhor actually watching them, its actually really good as an example.

No matter how many sports you show me, I simply do not enjoy watching them.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2011, 03:15:17 pm »

I like pretty much anything with emotion. That's the point of the music to me, which is why I generally don't like rap or pop, the emotions seem very muted or all together fake. I like metal mostly, don't necessarily like the culture around it. Of course, there's a lot of metal out there I don't like. I pick and choose from each genre to see what I like best. I mostly listen to music while exercising.

And as for not liking a form of entertainment, I don't like TV, but I still watch it with my family once or twice a week. Never in my personal time though. Don't like watching sports, but I'll still watch the Alabama game every week with my dad. I guess it's less about the activity itself and more who you spend time with. I have friends that like metal as much as I do and we enjoy talking about the various bands and songs, and discussing the meaning behind the more cryptic ones (looking at you, Tool).

But in the end, to each his own.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2011, 03:42:44 pm »

I listen very strongly to lyrics in a song, and they often make up a large portion of my experience. This means I detest most rap, as it's often not got any meaning to it that warrants more than ten seconds of speech.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2011, 04:14:53 pm »

I like pretty much anything with emotion. That's the point of the music to me, which is why I generally don't like rap or pop, the emotions seem very muted or all together fake. I like metal mostly, don't necessarily like the culture around it. Of course, there's a lot of metal out there I don't like. I pick and choose from each genre to see what I like best. I mostly listen to music while exercising.

And as for not liking a form of entertainment, I don't like TV, but I still watch it with my family once or twice a week. Never in my personal time though. Don't like watching sports, but I'll still watch the Alabama game every week with my dad. I guess it's less about the activity itself and more who you spend time with. I have friends that like metal as much as I do and we enjoy talking about the various bands and songs, and discussing the meaning behind the more cryptic ones (looking at you, Tool).

Tool is <3, but your comment about rap just have me going.. What? No emotions in rap? I rap, and I sing metal. And every bit of lyric I put down have the deepest meaning to me and I could show you music tracks where you can hear how they hurt saying things or hear the terrible anger in them as they lighten' their hearts. Please don't cut all rap across as shallow just because top40 rap is.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2011, 04:30:50 pm »

Am I the only one that likes this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0VPVawpN8E

I have friends that like metal as much as I do and we enjoy talking about the various bands and songs, and discussing the meaning behind the more cryptic ones (looking at you, Tool).

Try and tell me the meaning of the following, I dare ya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ybOWEsD28

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »

Am I the only one that likes this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0VPVawpN8E
The instrumentation is nice, I am not the biggest fan of the vocals. Then again, I always like clean vocals to counterpoint harsh vocal, or no harsh vocals at all. (I am more a fan of the vocal stylings of Dio, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, and Angra when it comes to metal) (an example of a good point-counterpoint clean-to-harsh vocals, the band I go to is Emery, and no, they are not metal)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2011, 06:44:35 pm »

i still think that people who don't enjoy music usually don't enjoy it because they never found the right music

I couldn't disagree more. This is like saying people who don't like watching ballet just haven't seen the right ballet. It's just silly.

One option is that they simply don't, for whatever reason, appreciate the ballet they have seen. No matter how many ballets you show them, this is unlikely to change. This is how MOST people are about music they don't "like".

The other option is they understand exactly whats going on, and it simply doesn't interest them. I can understand this point of view too. This is how most people are with music they USED to like but don't anymore. They understood it, they simply lost interest and no longer connect for some reason.

Considering most people have both of these to varying extents, its perfectly possible to show a person every piece of music in existence and not have them like any of them. Especially since the second bit is based on context as much as anything else - it may just be he hasn't heard the right song in the right situation, but then... there might not BE a right situation. Even if there is, there's no easy way to predict it.

all you said makes sense to me, just the comparison to ballet is a bit poor. ballet a very specific genre of visual display, while the term music refers to any aesthetically arranged sounds...
what i mean is, one may not enjoy ballet, but he may enjoy watching sports, or watching a play, etc.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2011, 07:04:04 pm »

The instrumentation is nice, I am not the biggest fan of the vocals. Then again, I always like clean vocals to counterpoint harsh vocal, or no harsh vocals at all. (I am more a fan of the vocal stylings of Dio, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, and Angra when it comes to metal) (an example of a good point-counterpoint clean-to-harsh vocals, the band I go to is Emery, and no, they are not metal)

Well, I really like Dio and Blind Guardian but I'm not a fan of the others. For the band I posted the singers vocal style is kinda hard to get used to. I know it was a while before I started liking it.

Here's something ya might like:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6fCWLjOolk]

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

I like how this thread was supposed to be about why some people don't enjoy music, yet has evolved into just another musical discussion.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2011, 07:22:36 pm »

I like how this thread was supposed to be about why some people don't enjoy music, yet has evolved into just another musical discussion.

What can you do? Music is really powerful, it isn't strange for people to feel at lost if someone says they don't like music, before this thread I must admit I didn't really think it'd be possible, in my mind the idea is simply impossible.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2011, 07:37:49 pm »

I think it's because there are probably 2 categories of people who don't like music of any sort. The first are those who merely haven't found music they like. I was like that for quite a few years until I found something I liked. The second, and while I don't know of any studies right off hand showing the existence/probability of them, would consist of those who for some reason or another simply aren't affected by music on a neurological level. After all, it isn't rare for people to have various other oddities about their nervous system which causes them to respond differently than "normal," so I see little reason as to why music would be an exception.
Since the first category is most familiar to most people, while the second is more obscure, it makes sense those in the second would be grouped in with them in everyones' minds.

Based on the info on the link I posted earlier, the brain seems to be constantly analyzing the music it is hearing, releasing dopamine as it does so, comparing the previous analysis with the current analysis, ect. Any one of those working abnormally would, I would think, impede the entertainment value of music for the listener.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:45:34 pm by alway »

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2011, 07:51:37 pm »

Yeah, I can't really think of an activity that I just plain don't enjoy, at least as long as isn't directly hurting me. And I guess I really can't understand not liking any form of music. I just can't wrap my brain around it. It's just so ingrained in my mind that I really couldn't go without it.

Tool is <3, but your comment about rap just have me going.. What? No emotions in rap? I rap, and I sing metal. And every bit of lyric I put down have the deepest meaning to me and I could show you music tracks where you can hear how they hurt saying things or hear the terrible anger in them as they lighten' their hearts. Please don't cut all rap across as shallow just because top40 rap is.

I didn't say that all rap is bad by any means. Hell, I even like Nu Metal despite how much my friends dislike it... I listen for emotion, and Korn can deliver angst like no-one's business. And not fake angst, real existential anger to the point of insanity. But yeah, there are some rap artists I really respect, though I must admit that with the HUGE "gangsta" subculture around Huntsville, it tarnished my opinions until recently.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11