Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: am i the only one?  (Read 8738 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: am i the only one?
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2011, 04:10:09 pm »

I would never let anyone prevent me from something I enjoy. I don't enjoy music. I detest the culture built up around music. Without the culture, I would sill not enjoy music.
The culture built up around music? Music is far too varied for there to be just one culture around it. What exactly about the culture is it that bothers you?

Quite frankly, I can't fathom why some people insist on having music blaring out for all their activities. All it does is irritate me when people insist on music for the sake of music.
And I can't fathom why people would rather have television as background noise than Poulenc, Liszt, or Debussy, but that doesn't mean it's just television for television's sake.

I can't really stand rap. I never could. I don't understand why people enjoy listening to spoken words with a drum track.
It's more than that. Personally I think that lyrics usually detract from the musicality of a song. Rap is just highly rhythmic lyricism to what could be called very spare (to almost non-existant) music. Rap is closer to spoken word poetry than music for me, although it exists along that continuum.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2011, 07:13:42 pm »

ITT we make sweeping generalizations.  :P

On a different note,
It's more than that. Personally I think that lyrics usually detract from the musicality of a song. Rap is just highly rhythmic lyricism to what could be called very spare (to almost non-existant) music. Rap is closer to spoken word poetry than music for me, although it exists along that continuum.

Singing is part of music.  I usually ignore the words, but an awful lot of modern music is worse without the vocals (probably because the songs were written with them in mind).

As for rap, I agree.  We can imagine a continuum from spoken word poetry to rap to music.  It's similar to a theatre - musical theatre - opera continuum.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2011, 07:53:45 pm »

I'm kinda Relieved that I'm not the only one that doesn't find music entertaining. I'm kinda the oddball out of my social circle. I came from a family of people who love playing instruments and singing and all that jazz....literally. Though i do enjoy the look on peoples faces when i respond to their query on my stance on music. It's also isolating that that not one responds with agreement.
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2011, 09:29:57 pm »

Nope

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2011, 09:55:20 pm »

I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2011, 11:13:37 pm »

"Someone who doesn't like music is like someone who can't read."
-Hamburgerfan.

I can't see why someone wouldn't like any music. Be it metal, pop, country, jazz, blues or what have you.

Here are some bands you should like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6FV2qR2TY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h-X-tZa_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iTZDOCe5oA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPRt6Tt6RyM

How 'bout a little classical? I mean everyone like classical, right?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2011, 02:44:01 am »

Hmm, band you should like, interesting concept.

Well Scood, forgetting music, what sort of flavour do you like in your life? Do you like it spicy or sweet? Fast of relaxed? Powerful or soft? What looking at other media forms, what genera do you enjoy? Action movies or romantic flicks? What do you like?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2011, 03:11:07 am »

"Someone who doesn't like music is like someone who can't read."
-Hamburgerfan.

I can't see why someone wouldn't like any music. Be it metal, pop, country, jazz, blues or what have you.

Here are some bands you should like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6FV2qR2TY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h-X-tZa_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iTZDOCe5oA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPRt6Tt6RyM

How 'bout a little classical? I mean everyone like classical, right?

metal hurts my ears

--------------

I'm also pretty sure this is part of the "culture" aspect of music that was brought up previously. The cult of personality built up around certain kinds of music that present their pet genre as the best in the world to the exclusion of any other form of music.

Music is a major part of my life. I can't wrap my head around a lack of enjoyment of music. However, I will take your word for it, Scood.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2011, 03:33:41 am »

Willfor understands what I meant.

Also the fact that some people can't accept that I simply don't like music and immediately assume I just 'haven't heard the music I like' so they start shoving their own preferences at me. Hate.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2011, 03:42:13 am »

They don't stop at people who dislike music in general. Every single time I have ever uttered the sentence "I don't really like metal" I have regretted it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2011, 08:11:54 am »

'Cause people like me are everywhere.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2011, 09:43:17 am »

I don't really like metal.
OH GOD HOW COULD YOU NOT IT'S THE BEST MUSIC YOU CAN'T NOT LIKE IT YOU'VE NEVER LISTENED TO THE RIGHT BAND THE REST SUCK THEY'RE NOT REAL METAL HERE I WANT YOU TO LISTEN TO...

Like that?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2011, 10:30:26 am »

Music does a lot of different things for a lot of different people, and the reason most people like music is most like like at least one of the things music does. I also think, for some people at least, its not even that they need to find music they like so much as they don't know how to appreciate what they are hearing. It's like enjoying a fencing match. Unless you understand the intricacies of what is going on, its just not really enjoyable to watch.

Of course, that is just a possibility among many. And the previously mentioned atonal people not liking music is pretty much false, though they probably enjoy a narrower variety.

Though I do wonder... for those who don't like music, do you enjoy dancing at all?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2011, 11:07:28 am »

I mean, for me it's really weird that someone doesn't like music. Do you also drink only water? Have you eliminated the need for showering? It just seems like a needless elimination of enjoyment. I mean unless you did it for religious reasons, which I doubt, you really don't have any excuse.

Though I do wonder... for those who don't like music, do you enjoy dancing at all?

Hear, hear!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2011, 11:28:53 am »

I mean, for me it's really weird that someone doesn't like music. Do you also drink only water? Have you eliminated the need for showering? It just seems like a needless elimination of enjoyment. I mean unless you did it for religious reasons, which I doubt, you really don't have any excuse.
It isn't 'needless elimination of enjoyment' when you never enjoyed something to begin with. I will listen to music in the background in video games (Though I usually turn it off if possible) or in movies. I never choose to listen to it on my own because to me it is meaningless noise which holds no enjoyment. Comments like yours just alienate people who don't like music and show your own ignorance. Music is not some basic necessity, it is a form of entertainment that some people enjoy and some do not.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11