Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: am i the only one?  (Read 8715 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: am i the only one?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 08:15:59 am »

You're definitely not alone. A lot of people don't like music. Many, many more just like it for something it's related to, like for example dancing, while not feeling anything much for the music itself. Personally, I think people like this and/or you outnumber people who feel strongly about music greatly - they just don't talk about it. While you hear people blabbering on about what great artist or style they just heard all the time, nobody would take the time to mention how indifferent they felt about music today. If it doesn't interest you much, you're not going to spend a lot of time confabulating (I just found that word, it's awesome! :D) on the matter. Especially not on the Internet.
I'm not one of them, though, I could never live without music. But yeah, not alone in any way.
Love, scriver~

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 09:05:19 am »

Bubble bath, glass of mead, big ass spliff, incense, eyes closed, Pink Floyd/Bach/Immortal Technique/Hawkwind.  Heaven :)

I'm far from being a music nerd, but there is literally nothing that has a greater impact on me.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 09:59:26 am »

Some people can be atonal.  Music probably isn't very fun to listen to if you are.

Otherwise, I'd say there is more to music than what you get in video games and most popular stuff.  There's something amazing about more complex pieces too.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 10:03:08 am »

Performing Arts has always been a outlet to express your feelings. anything that is a rhythm is a song so no matter how much you hate music there is always one with you without even noticing it. :D

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 10:41:53 am »

Am I the only one that doesn't think that music is entertaining?
I was like this when I was in my early teens.  You should really embrace music because it's an awesome thing.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:03 am »

Am I the only one that doesn't think that music is entertaining?
I was like this when I was in my early teens.  You should really embrace music because it's an awesome thing.
It's not as simple as "you need to understand that music is awesome and you are wrong for not likeing it". I know several people who do not like marmite (as inconceivable as that may be), but I don't go around saying how it's awesome and they need to learn what good food is.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:18 am »

It is a bit different though.  Marmite is just one specific thing rather than a category - once you've tried Marmite, you'll immediately have a good idea whether you like it or not since it's all pretty much the same.  It's more like saying you don't derive pleasure from any kind of food or drink - it is possible that you don't or won't, but there's such a huge variety of things that go into the category that you may like something in it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:01 am »

You may find this interesting: The neuroscience of music

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 12:11:26 pm »

I used to hate music back in the days of childhood (mostly because of chorus class, and being tormented by bullies with music I didn't like). As time passed, and the assholes remained distant, I actually got to appreciating music, even the music I was tormented with back then, when it wasn't being used as a torture device.

For reasons rational, I'm not a fan of soft rock or any music based around romance (mostly also because they also sound unrealistic). I already have it associated with doctor's/dentist's offices, supermarkets, and romantic comedies.

Listening to remixes helps ease me back to tunes I didn't like so much in the past. As for the music I turned to when I did hate it, I would say video game soundtracks was a safe haven for me (back in the good ol' days 8-bit to 32-bit). That, and whatever my older brothers were listening to at the time. I think my return to music was middle school when punk was actually pretty decent. Sublime was probably my gateway back to listening to music again.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:14:03 pm by Itnetlolor »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 12:14:42 pm »

Not saying there's bad music (to me).  I don't like 90% of songs played on the radio.

Oh man Sublime is awesome.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 12:17:55 pm »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 12:36:30 pm »

I used to not like music at all, then I started listening to and enjoying country.
Then, I started liking rock. Then I stopped liking country, and started liking metal and a bunch of other genres.
I'm still waiting for rap to stop sounding like shit to me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 02:33:36 pm »

Gog yes, I don't know about you but the sheer saturation of rap I hear daily annoys me.  Maybe there is good rap out there but I either can't like it right now or never will.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 02:39:11 pm »

Well actually you are not the only one that doesnt find it entertaining , there are other people that dont really get entertained or don't even like it , everyone has its own tastes
Desu

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 02:52:23 pm »

I can't really stand rap. I never could. I don't understand why people enjoy listening to spoken words with a drum track.

Also, I disliked music when I was seven, maybe eight. I got Guitar Hero II, for Christmas.
I started playing the next morning. Shout at the Devil.
I fell in love instantly. Now I listen Classic Rock, Glam stuff, Blues, Heavy Metal (Not the stuff they make these days, I'm talking about Black Sabbath's stuff and the like), and that stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11