Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moving materials between embarks?  (Read 1481 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Moving materials between embarks?
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:29:34 am »

Is there a way?  I'm pretty sure it'd have to be done in adventure mode, but I'd like to be able to mine out a lot of precious metals somewhere, then move them to another location so that I can pile on the stuff.  Any advice or recommendations?

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
Re: Moving materials between embarks?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:36:36 am »

Hmmm from what i know stuff tends to move around alot if you just toss them some where, i heard once that if you put stuff in a lair or something of the sort it won't move

So my bet is that
1.you should first take the stuff you want in the new fort in adventure mode
2. and then merrily skip your way to a location with a cave that you might want to build at
3.Embark at the location with the cave
4.loot cave
6. Profit !
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:39:19 am »

Define "move around" because if it stays on the same site, that's fine.  My Fort Mode dwarves will just haul it back.  Or perhaps it could be placed into lead bins or locked inside sealed chambers to prevent movement?

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:47:29 am »

well for one, on the fortress your moving stuff from if you don't take it out of the workshop/wagon it stays for good
i do this plenty when i want a serrated steel disc flinging adventurer 

but i'm not sure if as an adventurer you can 'place' things inside workshops so they stay?
if you can this is easy to move just embark on both and have an empty workshop/wagon on the receiving side and work shop/wagon filled with the stuff you want to send on the other side,

\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 01:00:36 am »

well for one, on the fortress your moving stuff from if you don't take it out of the workshop/wagon it stays for good

but i'm not sure if as an adventurer you can 'place' things inside workshops so they stay?
if you can this is easy to move just embark on both and have an empty workshop/wagon on the receiving side and work shop/wagon filled with the stuff you want to send on the other side,
I've heard you can also shove things into cabinets and chests, which should make them safe too, since they're structures.  I've never done Adventure before though, so I'm currently getting my ass kicked.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 01:18:36 am »

I had a crappy time trying to move stuff in adventure mode in the latest version. Chests and cabinets deconstructed, so they floated around as items and couldn't store things. Objects randomly despawned if I interacted with them and then left the area. I really don't think it would work in current DF... maybe if you load your adventurer up with every metal bar you produced in your base and carry them all back to your new embark site (with your speed at like 1) and drop your backpack there, but I suspect even then it'd despawn when you left adventure mode.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 04:38:57 am »

I just confirmed that the stuff that my adventurer brought to a night creature lair was still there when I embarked on the lair in fort mode. Nothing had moved or decayed at all.

Since it works, what would you want your adventurer to stockpile?

- Metal bars from several resource forts
- Stolen goods from human stores
- Corpses from around the world
- Money from around the world
- Food and booze

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 06:35:38 pm »

First idea is metal bars, but perhaps also unusual stone types, and gems as well, such as diamonds.  Certain blue metal could also be stockpiled from around the world to allow for some damn glorious megastructures.  The only issue is, what about re-embark?  If I start a fort, lay down a foundation, abandon, start a second fort, retrieve some gold, move the gold, and the reclaim the first fort, will it work the same?  And what about caves?  They're marked as "sites" on the map, so I would hope that objects dropped in a cave would remain where they are.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:40:25 pm »

:o 8)

The only issue is, what about re-embark?  If I start a fort, lay down a foundation, abandon, start a second fort, retrieve some gold, move the gold, and the reclaim the first fort, will it work the same?  And what about caves?  They're marked as "sites" on the map, so I would hope that objects dropped in a cave would remain where they are.
Probably, and maybe.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 01:00:43 am »

Innovation! what are you planning? If you do manage to find the location of perfection, and then load it up with goodies, would you consider putting up the pre-embark save?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 01:16:11 am »

I'm not sure what I'm planning, except to dig out a massive amount of -something- like steel or gold, transport it -somewhere- and then do -something- which would probably be some sort of helical golden spire with crazy long walkways with strange bulbous knots that house single dwarves or single workshops.  Efficiency is ignored.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 03:35:14 am »

... what about re-embark?  If I start a fort, lay down a foundation, abandon, start a second fort, retrieve some gold, move the gold, and the reclaim the first fort, will it work the same?  And what about caves?  They're marked as "sites" on the map, so I would hope that objects dropped in a cave would remain where they are.

No, I saw a fort where someone abandoned it, and even though it was built over a lair, the items were scattered. Get ALL of the metal bars in that lair before your first embark.

AFAIK if you approach the lair/cave as an adventurer, and you see non-rotten corpses or food or body parts inside, the "preservation" flag is in effect until you embark there.

Being able to build a metal tower or castle, without cheating the bars into existence, would be amazing. Also an adventurer can carry 96x more bars of that than bars of gold, due to weight.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 03:42:37 am »

Presumably a human gifted with extreme strength and a might backpack would carry more?  Or, perhaps make Giants playable?  A bit cheaty, but only to move things faster.  Meh, probably stick with humans for more "awesome" factor on the not-cheating side.

This would probably take about a dozen strong embarks, but it seems like the checklist here is...
A) Find a lair.
B) Found a nearby fort, mine it, abandon it.
C) Have adventurer move things to the lair.
D) Repeat B and C as needed.
E) Found a fort on the lair, and harvest the rewards.

This would, sadly, require that I gather ALL the metal I wanted before-hand, and wouldn't be able to outsource any more metal.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 04:24:48 am »

This would, sadly, require that I gather ALL the metal I wanted before-hand, and wouldn't be able to outsource any more metal.

Make a metal shopping list before you start to collect anything.

If the adventurer dies due to bogeymen or bandits in-transit, you can lose material that you worked hard for.

I wonder if world map travel speed is influenced by weight/strength? Just how much can your adventurer pick up? Could you carry 100 tons of gold all at once across the world? I'm too tired to test anything right now.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 08:06:48 am »

You could save yourself alot of effort and just embark with 10000x as many embark points, sure it's not the same thing as actually mining all that yourself but you could just assume that the mountainhomes are giving you all that stuff for your megaproject, and somebody back there would have dug it all out.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: [1] 2