Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: World of the Smalls  (Read 12845 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: World of the Smalls
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2011, 01:46:42 pm »

It is time for Yggdrasil to expand! We shall make it into the most beautiful city ever seen!

Orders half of my people to start digging upward and expanding the village, building a meeting hall, a warehouse, some indoor field that we can grow mushroom in and a temple to the Giant Gods. A quarter of the Kanks will start collecting wood and experimenting with resin melted from Yggdrasil as weapons and tools material.

The remaining men will follow me on an expedition across the plain on the dustmite. This expedition shall last for several days or even weeks, and my eldest son Shet will reign while I'm away.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2011, 01:59:39 pm »

the chief shares his people's sentiments and declares holy war on the obvious dominant species of this land: the fleas

the moppas en masse leave their tents, forming a war party to subdue the flea population, these shall feed the moppas' lust for war and the prisioners will be used as burden beasts and mounts

fashion ropes and capture as many fleas as possible

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2011, 03:49:14 pm »

Diplomacy!
While our leaders attempt communication, tho others will try to fashion ropes out of available materials.
An expendition will also be sent to scale as far as possible up the side of the flat thing, lookinh for a soft spot to dig in for a more defendable colony.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2011, 05:21:56 pm »

You journey off across the brown emptiness, looking for your lost tribesmate. Eventually you come to one of the great wooden portals, through which the beast carried Malkum away.

Malkum heads towards the desk, seeking to make a shelter before the Beast can find him. However, when he enters the shadow of the desk and his eyes adjust to the gloom, he gasps in astonishment. Before him are other smalls, feasting inside walls and cities made of valuable webbing, riding great eight-legged beasts, and beyond that, the smalls seem to have divided into two distinct groups! One type looks much like the Beast, although not nearly as large, and the others seem to be a sort of insect! What world is this, Malkum wonders, heading toward the city.

Malkum is now available for direct play by Barbarossa, and interaction by either of the species beneath the desk.
((I assume that the races I just encountered are the Simians and Skreeblikis of the Den.)

Mazwadmarg, second in command of the Radikalstem tribe, speaks to his comrades. "Our chief is away seeking a lost clanbrother. We must make our city strong for his return, so that his city may not be conquered and ruined when he next lays eyes on it. It is time to defend our new homeland."
The tribe that remains at the pedestal shall use the sturdiest materials available to construct a fortress that will serve as the primary city of the Radikalstem.

Chief Barbarossa instructs his force. "We know not what lays beyond this portal. For all we know, the world beyond could be full of beasts such as the one that carried off Malkum. For this reason, we must be cautious. Let's set up a few shelters somewhere where we can easily beat back any enemy advance. From there we can search for the lost Malkum and bring him home."
The expeditionary force seeking Malkum will venture beneath the wooden portal and into the Den. They will set up a base camp (colony) in a defensible position from which they can begin to search for Malkum. The warriors amongst this group will practice their punching-based martial arts style, the Way of the Merciless Fist

Malkum, seeing the fleshy nature of these other Smalls, gets an idea.
Malkum will find the main congregation of Skreeblikis and present himself as an ambassador from the far-off empire of the Radikalstem.
"I am here to propose alliance to the many-legged ones of this land. I must be strange to you, shiny and metallic as I am. Fear not. It is our differences that will bring our people closer together. Your people are numerous and industrious. Mine are few, but strong and proud. We are masters of combat, as well as masters of architecture. My liege is accompanying a larger delegation to here soon, but for now I am here to welcome you as friends and allies. What say you, many-legged ones?"

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2011, 05:44:14 pm »

Tell your people to make a city in the table leg with a staiwell winding around inside it, and have some people gather materials for weapons.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »

Send a scout party out the portal. see if we can make weapons out of the burnt fibre. colonize the nearby table
You set up a scouting expidition. Your population is not yet very high, so you only sacrifice a small group to the elements, charging them with bringing back news of their ventures. You wonder if any will survive...

One of your more creative tribesmen have created a new weapon, the Hard-tipped Spear. It requires some of the new burnt fibers, but they're in plentiful supply. You begin to make a stock of spears for any later... issues.

You also send out a larger group to settle around the table, establishing a new village. They number twenty, but the population soon grows. It never grows as large as your capitol, however.

The Skreeblikis use spider mounts to climb to the top of the desk, and attempt to turn off the light to keep themselves cool.
Then, they colonize it.
They use Post-It notes to create shelter, and dig into the wood of the desk for above ground spawning pits.

You send a scouting troop to the top of the desk, but the giant spots your mounts and promptly squishes them. Your people are outraged. Perhaps you were to careless, presuming the giants would take kindly to spiders on their desk?

It is time for Yggdrasil to expand! We shall make it into the most beautiful city ever seen!

Orders half of my people to start digging upward and expanding the village, building a meeting hall, a warehouse, some indoor field that we can grow mushroom in and a temple to the Giant Gods. A quarter of the Kanks will start collecting wood and experimenting with resin melted from Yggdrasil as weapons and tools material.

The remaining men will follow me on an expedition across the plain on the dustmite. This expedition shall last for several days or even weeks, and my eldest son Shet will reign while I'm away.

You expand your city into a massive complex in the leg and outside it. Yggdrasil stands resolute throughout the enterprise, although a few men drop from the upper stories by their own clumsiness.

You personally take charge of a scouting expidition to the large furry object accross the plains. You belive that there may be valuable resources over there. You expect to arrive soon.

the chief shares his people's sentiments and declares holy war on the obvious dominant species of this land: the fleas

the moppas en masse leave their tents, forming a war party to subdue the flea population, these shall feed the moppas' lust for war and the prisioners will be used as burden beasts and mounts

fashion ropes and capture as many fleas as possible
You begin a holy war against the barbaric fleas, stirring your people to action with scathing words about the poor drained Moppa. The fleas are all but exterminated, save those few you took to keep as slaves. Your peoples bloodlust has been sated. For now...

Diplomacy!
While our leaders attempt communication, tho others will try to fashion ropes out of available materials.
An expendition will also be sent to scale as far as possible up the side of the flat thing, lookinh for a soft spot to dig in for a more defendable colony.

Massive hairs, like trees from a limp forest, drape accross her face. Her breath stirrs typhoons and whirlwinds, and calls thunder in the air without lightning. Her eyes, oceans that glimmer brilliant purple in the sharp light of the many suns she has set accross the room. Surely now you know why the smaller beasts were struck motionless, for when you see that face, you too are paralyzed by it's majestic size, even the collossal booger hanging from her nose.

She waves at you and you timidly wave back. This isn't going as planned.

You fashion ropes from the hanging vines, and, with some skill, manage to hook them into one of the rafters far above. You send up a scouting troop to observe their surroundings from up there, possibly to found a new colony. A small while later, one falls from a high perch to his death, but no other tragedies occur.

You journey off across the brown emptiness, looking for your lost tribesmate. Eventually you come to one of the great wooden portals, through which the beast carried Malkum away.

Malkum heads towards the desk, seeking to make a shelter before the Beast can find him. However, when he enters the shadow of the desk and his eyes adjust to the gloom, he gasps in astonishment. Before him are other smalls, feasting inside walls and cities made of valuable webbing, riding great eight-legged beasts, and beyond that, the smalls seem to have divided into two distinct groups! One type looks much like the Beast, although not nearly as large, and the others seem to be a sort of insect! What world is this, Malkum wonders, heading toward the city.

Malkum is now available for direct play by Barbarossa, and interaction by either of the species beneath the desk.
((I assume that the races I just encountered are the Simians and Skreeblikis of the Den.)

Mazwadmarg, second in command of the Radikalstem tribe, speaks to his comrades. "Our chief is away seeking a lost clanbrother. We must make our city strong for his return, so that his city may not be conquered and ruined when he next lays eyes on it. It is time to defend our new homeland."
The tribe that remains at the pedestal shall use the sturdiest materials available to construct a fortress that will serve as the primary city of the Radikalstem.

Chief Barbarossa instructs his force. "We know not what lays beyond this portal. For all we know, the world beyond could be full of beasts such as the one that carried off Malkum. For this reason, we must be cautious. Let's set up a few shelters somewhere where we can easily beat back any enemy advance. From there we can search for the lost Malkum and bring him home."
The expeditionary force seeking Malkum will venture beneath the wooden portal and into the Den. They will set up a base camp (colony) in a defensible position from which they can begin to search for Malkum. The warriors amongst this group will practice their punching-based martial arts style, the Way of the Merciless Fist

Malkum, seeing the fleshy nature of these other Smalls, gets an idea.
Malkum will find the main congregation of Skreeblikis and present himself as an ambassador from the far-off empire of the Radikalstem.
"I am here to propose alliance to the many-legged ones of this land. I must be strange to you, shiny and metallic as I am. Fear not. It is our differences that will bring our people closer together. Your people are numerous and industrious. Mine are few, but strong and proud. We are masters of combat, as well as masters of architecture. My liege is accompanying a larger delegation to here soon, but for now I am here to welcome you as friends and allies. What say you, many-legged ones?"
You chip up wood from the featureless Hall and build the Palisade, a massive fortress of splinters and beams, invulnerable to any army smaller than 400 men. You feel proud of yourself, and after a long night of drinking, go to bed. When you wake up, you have a pounding headache and decide to stay sober for the rest of your life.

Meanwhile, the expidition troop sets a small encampent by the door. They weave walls of fibre and splinters of wood, but it's far from the Palisade in terms of defense. You begin to send out search parties, ensuring that they all return within the hour ((a week for a Small)). You hear strange reports of a far of citadel of solidified webbing, but the idea is rediculous. You will pack up tonight and go to prove that the claims are untrue.

Dimplomacy is between players, and both players must be willing to converse to use diplomacy. As of yet, neither of the Races beneath the desk have responded. If either of you wish for the meeting to proceed, respond to Barbarossa, who will respond back. Diplomacy!

Tell your people to make a city in the table leg with a staiwell winding around inside it, and have some people gather materials for weapons.
There is no table near you! But you do biging to dig at the wood, if only for weapons. You now have a store of clubs and crude spears.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2011, 06:45:32 pm »

Send a scouting party to the large armed thing.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2011, 06:47:52 pm »

Dig a tunnel into the wall, and under the hallway floor. We will head for the childrens room. ( I meant to dig into the desk last turn. )

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2011, 07:04:29 pm »

Attempt to dig into the ground below, if that does not work then continue attaching ropes to the ceiling and colonizing the rafters.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2011, 07:17:33 pm »

fashion armors from the chitin of the slaughtered fleas and make enough weapons to serve our species for generations, our sons and grandsons shall be throwing spears made from the sacred splinters gathered at our original landing site

then pack up the tents on captured fleas and embark on the first great migration looking for more edible lands
our scouts shall ride ahead, riding terrified fleas

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2011, 07:46:51 pm »

Can I join? It says 8, bot one plaer dosnt seem to have made his starting loaction properly so maybe I could take his place, or you could just bend the numbers.

Name: Oblonque
Starting room: The one with the TV or computer (it wasn't clear which it was.) Specifically, under said TV or computer.
Description: The Oblonque might at first glance appear like beads of some strangely coloured glass, they move by deforming their bodies. They are slow and not very mobile, pathetic in combat, but have many and extremely keen senses. They are aloof and complacent, with vastly greater gifts at speech than action, but sometimes show deep insights other smalls may lack. Changing magnetic fields have a tendency to affect their cognition.

(if I get in) the Oblonque set up their housing on the ridges of the large structures snaking through the landscape that they can sense are full of vast pulsing energies whose vibrations have an effect on their minds similar to stimulants in their immediate proximity*. These structures are delicate and simple things, providing just the bare essentials of shelter and then focusing the rest of the architectural effort on aesthetics and shows of status.

(*For the buildings on top of them the effect is fairly strong on the bottom floor but mostly gone on the second floor.)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2011, 10:39:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((I'll have to wait on Malkum's action, then, but here is the rest.))

Chieftain Barbarossa speaks to his men. "We have journeyed far to reach this place, and it is far indeed from our homeland. I have heard some of you speak of a silken citadel, a building comprised of solid webbing. I have never heard of such a thing, but again, we are far indeed from out home. A few of you will need to stay here and guard the encampment. It has served us well in this venture, and I hope that it can one day flourish into a mighty stronghold of our people. I know that you wish to win glory in the saving of Malkum, but your names will still be remembered as those who helped found this glorious center of our civilization. We shall set forth immediately."
Chieftain Barbarossa and a dozen or so of his most elite warriors head off to the aforementioned web-fortress. Each will be armed with a splinter of wood.

At the homeland, Mazwadmarg the Great bestows a name to the glorious fortress his kind have built. It is his greatest architectural triumph, one that will be remembered in song for ages to come. He names it Esselnor, the Wooden Citadel. After the celebration, the town as a whole prepares to expand. They will need many more Radikalstem to have a hope of surviving in a world so vast. They have not even seen it all yet! What if a huge force lies just beyond the wooden portal to the west? They cannot be caught unawares.
Mazwadmarg orders scouts to find sources nutritious elements nearby that can fuel the mitosis required for Radikalstem reproduction. Those who remain behind will expand the living quarters to make room for a population boom. If usable nutrients are found, then they will be harvested quickly and quietly, when there seems to be nobody else (giant monsters included) in the hallway.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2011, 09:01:15 pm »

Skreeblikis Worker 378 has the look of one fey!
Skreeblikis Worker 378 claims a spawning pit!
Skreeblikis has begun a mysterious construction.

Breed some Skreeblikis larvae into large beasts of burden.
Mix between spider and Skreeblikis.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2011, 11:43:33 am »

Sheb will continue forward. In Yggdrasil, the people will try to mine varnish from the coathanger to use in wepaons.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2011, 03:43:07 pm »

Send a scouting party to the large armed thing.
You decide to find out more about your surroundings. A small group of tribesmen head out to explore below the strange, tall armed thing.

Along the way they encounter a force sent by a race that seem to live under the large armed thing! They have named it Yggdrasil, and the two parties split, half going one way and half going the other, as embassies to this new, odd nation under the couch/Yggdrasil

Sheb and Taricus are now in contact with one another

Dig a tunnel into the wall, and under the hallway floor. We will head for the childrens room. ( I meant to dig into the desk last turn. )
You send a exploratory commitee to the wastern edge of the world, and tell them to dig through the large walls that stand there. Several days later, you are surprised to find them returning, missing a few men. when you ask them what happened, they tell you that the walls are infested with some sort of Acid-spraying bug, and they were overwhelmed when they breached the center of their nest!

Attempt to dig into the ground below, if that does not work then continue attaching ropes to the ceiling and colonizing the rafters.
The ground below you is too hard to dig through, but you continue to colonize the rafters of the Large Flat thing.

Meanwhile the Giant that you have been attempting communication with has lowered herself to your level in a stunning display of humility. She seems taken with your nervousness, but who can tell? She gets up and leaves, for purposes only known to her.

fashion armors from the chitin of the slaughtered fleas and make enough weapons to serve our species for generations, our sons and grandsons shall be throwing spears made from the sacred splinters gathered at our original landing site

then pack up the tents on captured fleas and embark on the first great migration looking for more edible lands
our scouts shall ride ahead, riding terrified fleas
The chitin of the slain fleas is more than enough to fashin armor for your men, some ornate and worn by officers, some simply utilitarian and worn by those who have yet to prove themselves. The fleas you have captured are loaded up with the extra chitin of their fallen bretheren and driven mercilessly ahead of you, carrying your villiage on your backs. If this is all the world has to offer, then it shall be punished.

Can I join? It says 8, bot one plaer dosnt seem to have made his starting loaction properly so maybe I could take his place, or you could just bend the numbers.

Name: Oblonque
Starting room: The one with the TV or computer (it wasn't clear which it was.) Specifically, under said TV or computer.
Description: The Oblonque might at first glance appear like beads of some strangely coloured glass, they move by deforming their bodies. They are slow and not very mobile, pathetic in combat, but have many and extremely keen senses. They are aloof and complacent, with vastly greater gifts at speech than action, but sometimes show deep insights other smalls may lack. Changing magnetic fields have a tendency to affect their cognition.

(if I get in) the Oblonque set up their housing on the ridges of the large structures snaking through the landscape that they can sense are full of vast pulsing energies whose vibrations have an effect on their minds similar to stimulants in their immediate proximity*. These structures are delicate and simple things, providing just the bare essentials of shelter and then focusing the rest of the architectural effort on aesthetics and shows of status.

(*For the buildings on top of them the effect is fairly strong on the bottom floor but mostly gone on the second floor.)

((In, since Player 8 has not responded
Are you trying to start inside the computer, Armok? Because that's not going to work.
Also I'm going to give you an initial population boost because like you said if you piss anyone off enough you'll be slaughtered. How are you going to make walls if you're slime though? My guess is you'll be stealing most of your stuff, so I'm going to play you like that unless you have a specific problem with it.))

A pod hisses open, hidden in an unseen corner of the desk, cloaked in shadow and spiderweb. Several spiders hiss and surround it, but nothing is there. In their confusion, they fail to notice the glue climbing their legs before it is too late. A few minutes later, there is truely nothing but empty husks rotting beneath the desk.

The oozes have been unleashed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((I'll have to wait on Malkum's action, then, but here is the rest.))

Chieftain Barbarossa speaks to his men. "We have journeyed far to reach this place, and it is far indeed from our homeland. I have heard some of you speak of a silken citadel, a building comprised of solid webbing. I have never heard of such a thing, but again, we are far indeed from out home. A few of you will need to stay here and guard the encampment. It has served us well in this venture, and I hope that it can one day flourish into a mighty stronghold of our people. I know that you wish to win glory in the saving of Malkum, but your names will still be remembered as those who helped found this glorious center of our civilization. We shall set forth immediately."
Chieftain Barbarossa and a dozen or so of his most elite warriors head off to the aforementioned web-fortress. Each will be armed with a splinter of wood.

At the homeland, Mazwadmarg the Great bestows a name to the glorious fortress his kind have built. It is his greatest architectural triumph, one that will be remembered in song for ages to come. He names it Esselnor, the Wooden Citadel. After the celebration, the town as a whole prepares to expand. They will need many more Radikalstem to have a hope of surviving in a world so vast. They have not even seen it all yet! What if a huge force lies just beyond the wooden portal to the west? They cannot be caught unawares.
Mazwadmarg orders scouts to find sources nutritious elements nearby that can fuel the mitosis required for Radikalstem reproduction. Those who remain behind will expand the living quarters to make room for a population boom. If usable nutrients are found, then they will be harvested quickly and quietly, when there seems to be nobody else (giant monsters included) in the hallway.

You are stunned to see the fortress rise before you in the tall grasses. In this lush plain of carpeting, under a font of useful wood and driven nails, lies the City of Webs, a miracle on Earth. Your jaw drops open in awe at it's majesty, the valuable material shimmering in the dim light under the Desk, held together here and there by the less valuable carpeting. You have never seen such a construction, majestic parapets rising over the gently stirring grasses.

You march quickly towards the city, intending to speak to these gods who could build such a thing. Behind you, Attrak, your second-in-command for this trip, looks at the city with greed in his eyes. But you have controled him before, and you will do so again. You are confident of that fact.

Skreeblikis Worker 378 has the look of one fey!
Skreeblikis Worker 378 claims a spawning pit!
Skreeblikis has begun a mysterious construction.

Breed some Skreeblikis larvae into large beasts of burden.
Mix between spider and Skreeblikis.
Worker 378 steps before the Alpha's den, bowing low in the way Skreeblis do. It shows respect, and honor, in the deepness of it. He presents to you a strange artifact. It is shaped somewhat like a spear, a long cylindrical handle, but the handle is much too short and the blade far to long. It has but one sharp side as well, and looks as if it were not made for stabbing.

"What sort of weapon is this?" you ask.

"I call it a sword, Alpha. It is a slashing thing,"

"A slashing thing? Show me."

He does so, a intricate dance of cuts and swipes and parries. You see how this weapon could change the world.

"With these swords no more would we have to rely upon the warrior castes. The Worker caste would be capable of combat, of marching to war!"

"Yes, Alpha," he says, bowing low.

"Take this blasphemy against the castes and begone!" You screech in outrage.

The Worker stutters, and so you have your royal guard toss him and his vile contraption beyond the walls, to where no Skreeblikis would dare to walk. Your personal hunting grounds.

"Any others," you say the next day to all of your people ""Who seek to disrupt the caste system will be punished harshly. The castes are all, the castes are everything!" Your people cheer for you, and you sleep that night with no problems in your consience.

Sheb will continue forward. In Yggdrasil, the people will try to mine varnish from the coathanger to use in wepaons.
You meet a roving troupe of another race who claim that they march from the Couch. If any but them had told you such a thing, you would have scoffed and dismissed it. But you felt that these things were telling the truth, and so you decide to split your groups. You and some of your tribesmen who volunteered would continue on, guided by the strange beings you had just met. The others would return home, a new embassy in tow.

Something about this meeting strikes you as unfortuitous, a bad omen that you spotted out of the corner of your eye. You brush it off as you prepare yourself to enter the court of this odd Under-Couch King. You straighten your crown, adjust your cape, and stride into the bright light of the Throne room.

This meeting will be remembered for forever and a day.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7