Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clarification on fortifications...  (Read 654 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clarification on fortifications...
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:01:25 pm »

Do they actually block missiles fired from further than one tile away, or are the just tiles that only block non-vermin creatures? Because I just saw a marksdwarf in a fortified sniper position get completely destroyed by just one goblin archer.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:24:23 pm by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification of fortifications...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:04:15 pm »

Well, they donīt block all arrows/bolts.
It depends a lot on the skill of the enemy archer.
Very good goblin archers have no big problems,
shooting through fortifications more than one tile away...
and even less talented goblins manage to get the one or other arrow/bolt through

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification of fortifications...
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:07:11 pm »

It was their leader, I believe, so I suppose he could just be one hell of a shot. I don't think he missed once. But what I'm asking is some confirmation on how well and if fortifications protect the marksdwarves hiding behind them.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification on fortifications...
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:17:20 am »

I can't find any hard numbers, but it's generally believed that fortifications require a skill check if the shooter is not right next to the fortification.  So they protect well against low-skill archers and marksgobs, while elites will get headshots from maximum range.

Also, a 2 or 3 z-level height advantage seems to offer more protection, because low-level ranged units will not fire at targets that are more than 1 z-level above them.  This is from the wiki, I haven't used marksdwarfs since 40d so I can't verify this myself.

I think a high shield-user skill offers more protection against skilled marks gobs, or just waiting until they are very close and then rushing in with melee fighters to offset the range advantage.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:20:05 pm »

From my experience a few versions back, fortifications will prevent any non-elite archer/crossbowman/blowgunner from firing at targets at all (assuming they are not adjacent to the fortification).  Elites ignore fortifications and can perforate pretty much anything behind them.  I haven't actually seen any archers attempt to fire through fortifications and have their shots be blocked by the fortification.  If it was their leader, he was likely an elite and ignored your fortifications.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:10:37 am »

The only protection that fortifications offer is psychological.  Only Elite Archers will ever try to shoot your dwarves through fortifications even though fortifications do not stop projectiles of any kind.  It's a targeting issue.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."