Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you do with metal?  (Read 3650 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
What do you do with metal?
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:14:06 pm »

I finally achieved a fort with a Legendary Armorer and Weaponsmith through moods, and have always cleaned out HFS so have access to all the blue stuff I could want. Obviously I'm gonna kit out my entire military in it... which leaves me with my thriving steel industry, and nothing to do with it.

I usually don't use metal for furniture or crafts because of its high resource investment with relatively little gain compared to just making stone stuff.... but now I have a bunch of steel, copper, and silver and nothing to do with it re:weapons. What do you usually do with your excess metal?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with metal?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:16:39 pm »

Furniture and other stuff
Desu

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 03:17:31 pm »

On the other hand, play .19. This will solve you metal excess problem.

Alternatively, you could build a giant iron man who spits magma from his eyes an chest. Or you could do the ultimate trap course.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:58:04 am by arkhometha »

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 03:21:05 pm »

Metal crafts are worth ~10x as much as stone crafts, so trading will go faster if you don't have to do as much hauling. I find that that's a good way to get rid of useless non-weapons-grade metals. I haven't tried making any furniture out of them yet.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:23:15 pm »

Mass produce statues.  I like to see what comes out.  Then stud the good ones with metal while the non-preferred statues get melted and re-cast.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 03:27:05 pm »

I'm know to paving dining rooms and hallways in gold or silver, or give every dwarf a couple of statues in metal or make designs in metal on the floor or make traders and diplomats walk through halls of steel furniture studded with steel. Whatever you want, basically  ;)
Memento Mori

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 03:28:03 pm »

I'm know to paving dining rooms and hallways in gold or silver, or give every dwarf a couple of statues in metal or make designs in metal on the floor or make traders and diplomats walk through halls of steel furniture studded with steel. Whatever you want, basically  ;)

That's useless spending of valuable resources! I like you idea.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 03:31:52 pm »

Metal? I listen to it.

On the other hand, play .19. This will solve you metal excess problem.

Alternatively, you could build a giant iron man who spits magma from his eyes an chest. Or you could do the ultimate trap course.

I am playing .19.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »

but now I have a bunch of steel, copper, and silver and nothing to do with it re:weapons.

Use the steel for crossbow and ballista bolts, use the copper and silver for warhammers for putting in traps.

Start swapping out all your stone statues and furniture for steel or silver. Pave your upper class housing in steel or silver. Swap your waterskins for flasks. Swap out all your ropes for chains. Make crafts for trading.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 04:13:33 pm »

I too like to use excess metals to make furniture and buildings, it really makes my fortress quite shiny.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 04:24:04 pm »

That's useless spending of valuable resources! I like you idea.
Of course it is.  :P But really, aside from weapons and armor there is little metal can't do that you can't get done with stone or wood. It's about what you can do to be awesome, not what you must do to survive.
Memento Mori

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 05:02:24 pm »

I just build archery towers and outside walls out of whatever metal that I don't need.  This is mostly because it takes too long to build up enough stone blocks (building a wall with boulders is too easy and therefore un-dwarfy) and keeps all the outside structures consistency.

Oh and cages, lots of cages

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 05:29:00 pm »

Special sarcophagi, statues and other items for the burial chambers of the military and other important dorfs, crafted trinkets to use up crappy metals like lead and aluminium.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 06:09:11 pm »

Um... Aluminum is as valuable as platinum, the second most valuable metal in the game.  Why is that "crappy"?

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 07:06:33 pm »

Aluminum is the polar opposite of a crappy metal.  Especially as the dwarves lack any means of smelting it unless they find it naturally.
Pages: [1] 2