Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Egg-Thief ... literally  (Read 7650 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egg-Thief ... literally
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2011, 09:22:07 am »

Can someone explain me what's up with kobold love on these forums ? They steal, they kill your dwarves, they're small and weak ? I do fail to see the point of where you should start to worship kobolds.

Although breeding them against goblins can be interesting... but will you have to make weapons and armor for them, and can they even take it ?
From a technical standpoint, they come and clean up the battlefields after you fight the goblins, thus reducing lag.

From a personality standpoint, they're harmless, especially in previous versions. Compared to the elves of yore, where you cut down 100 trees in a year and they decide to give you all the wooden arrows you can use, they're just adorable and lovable. Their DF's friendliest mascots.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 09:49:11 am »

Can someone explain me what's up with kobold love on these forums ? They steal, they kill your dwarves, they're small and weak ? I do fail to see the point of where you should start to worship kobolds.

Although breeding them against goblins can be interesting... but will you have to make weapons and armor for them, and can they even take it ?
From a technical standpoint, they come and clean up the battlefields after you fight the goblins, thus reducing lag.

From a personality standpoint, they're harmless, especially in previous versions. Compared to the elves of yore, where you cut down 100 trees in a year and they decide to give you all the wooden arrows you can use, they're just adorable and lovable. Their DF's friendliest mascots.

and yet i still have to add .. unless you feed em too many items .. then you might  start to fear them .. massive kobold bowmen siege is  nasty fun :)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2011, 10:36:14 am »

I fail to see the long-term validity of the technical standpoint. They go, loot goblinite that would be better in my trade depot or in my smelters, and then attack you. With lethal ranged weapons. And kill some random lye maker that was going to pick a sock, and then the peasant who wanted to bury the lye maker/pick up it's sock, and i get a tantrum spiral as both useless dwarves kept chilling in my meeting area, making a lot of friends and generally being useless to the community apart from the occasional hauling job.

And "harmless"... not with bows !
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:39:18 am by Naryar »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2011, 02:05:43 pm »

Somebody post some cutebold pics, please.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2011, 02:09:09 pm »

I fail to see the long-term validity of the technical standpoint. They go, loot goblinite that would be better in my trade depot or in my smelters, and then attack you. With lethal ranged weapons. And kill some random lye maker that was going to pick a sock, and then the peasant who wanted to bury the lye maker/pick up it's sock, and i get a tantrum spiral as both useless dwarves kept chilling in my meeting area, making a lot of friends and generally being useless to the community apart from the occasional hauling job.

And "harmless"... not with bows !

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2011, 03:04:08 pm »

Am I supposed to go "AW SO CUUUUUUTE!!!!! <3<3<3 I wanna hug him, bring him with me home and cuddle him while he pilfers my valuables and slaughters my babies !" ?

Sorry for not being able to empathize with a drawing. As a general rule, I try never to let an objective judgement be tempered by mercy or pity.

The basic fact is that they still are just small k's, and stealing and killing your dwarves. Oh and not to mention that they enjoy torturing for fun. Does that seem "cute" to you ?

Not to mention that if they truly wanted a hug, they would use other means than stealing and killing, I think.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:07:20 pm by Naryar »

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2011, 03:06:05 pm »

Sorry for not being able to empathize with a drawing. As a general rule, I try never to let an objective judgement be tempered by mercy or pity.

The basic fact is that they still are just small icons, and stealing and killing your dwarves. Oh and not to mention that they enjoy torturing for fun. Does that seem "cute" to you ?

Yes, in a very sadistic kind of way.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2011, 03:17:40 pm »

.....So kobolds lay eggs...? seems like I might be lucky enough to lure one to my nests
Desu

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2011, 03:43:08 pm »

probably the bug that forced non domestic creatures to lay eggs may be  fixed for now .. maybe  Toady is mercifull and reimplements it somehow^^
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:29:15 pm by schussel »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2011, 05:24:43 pm »

The basic fact is that they still are just small k's, and stealing and killing your dwarves. Oh and not to mention that they enjoy torturing for fun. Does that seem "cute" to you ?
I for one welcome our cute and fuzzy new overlords. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2011, 06:07:08 pm »

So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, 07:19:22 pm »

If you're getting your ass kicked because you lost two worthless peasants, perhaps you should be less angry at the cutebolds and more concerned about your play style?  Less meeting rooms, more individual bedrooms, even if the bedroom is a 1x1 hole in the wall.  The less your dwarves talk with others, the less likely they are to tantrum, which is why meeting areas can be lethal.

Also, Cutebold pic for my avatar.  I posted before you asked.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2011, 07:32:35 pm »

We need an archive for all the Cutebold pics because they are just too fucking adorable.

And I'm a dude so I don't Dawwwww easily but Cutebolds are deserving of praise. The one who invented them is a genius.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2011, 07:42:48 pm »

I looked up some on e621 (adults only kthnx 18+) there's about a dozen or so good ones.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 08:33:25 pm »

I looked up some on e621 (adults only kthnx 18+) there's about a dozen or so good ones.

Just looked that up...
Thank you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5