Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Work Orders bug  (Read 1827 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Work Orders bug
« on: March 05, 2011, 01:21:42 am »

Well, since 31.18 I'm getting a strange bug. Whenever I issue a work order, it doesn't matter what amount of items I order to produce, if it is above 30, like 50, the work order will change this number to 30. Always, no exceptions. I'm using Phoebus Graphical pack, but there was a time in the 31.18 when I was using the Phoebus pack and didn't get this error. I assumed that was some fort/world related bug, but now I see this bug in the .19 too, in a different fort and world.

Anyone else getting some bug like this?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Work Orders bug
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:32:27 am »

it's a known limit of the system
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:35:47 am »

Has always happened. The limit to any order is 30.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:38:47 am »

REALLY?

I could swear I issued an make 90 something order and it didn't turned out to 30 some good time ago.

It's a limit but its a bug, right?  It kinda sucks having to issue various orders to get the same thing.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 01:40:47 am »

Since he went so far as to made sure the cap was at 30, I'm fairly certain it's a feature rather then a bug. It might has something to do with the size limitation of the type used to hold the value but that's just my hypothesis.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 01:41:22 am »

You can always issue multiple of the same order.  I usually make it in 20 batches because for me, 20 is easier to count than 30 (ie, it goes into 100 cleaner).

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:45:22 am »

yeah, just saw in the wiki too, 30 it's the maximum. I must have been drinking too much gnomeblight.

Thanks for the answers!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 01:48:34 am »

It isn't a data type limitation. If it was it would be a limit of 255 probably, or something other base 2 number.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

timco35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 02:08:44 am »

It should also be noted that even though you can not do an order for over 30, nothing is stopping you from making multiple orders of the same item.  Need 90 barrels? Just Q up 30 3 times.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 11:54:39 am »

Might be to prevent having an over-efficient manager, capable of setting the production of 100 items as easily as only 1. So for big orders it requires a bit more time and efforts, which is desirable...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 03:10:27 pm »

Might be to prevent having an over-efficient manager, capable of setting the production of 100 items as easily as only 1. So for big orders it requires a bit more time and efforts, which is desirable...

Makes sense but... I think you can write in a slab of stone 30 as easily as 100.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 04:56:33 pm »

Makes sense but... I think you can write in a slab of stone 30 as easily as 100.
So... a manager's job is limited to writing a number on a slab of stone? You mean, he doesn't have to distribute the jobs between workshops of same types, take into account the cancelled jobs and reassign them, keep track of the jobs already done and not duplicate them, make the difference between the jobs he issued and those manually set, et cetera?

The manager's only in-game time-consuming job is to accept work orders. My interpretation is that this acceptation take into account all of the above (which we DO observe in-game), and to keep a minimum of realism it has to be limited to an arbitrary number of items.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 05:01:29 pm »

Except right now it just means that we have to add the same job 4 times, 3x30 and 1x10, so if that was the initial reasoning it clearly no longer applies.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 05:34:56 pm »

So... a manager's job is limited to writing a number on a slab of stone? You mean, he doesn't have to distribute the jobs between workshops of same types, take into account the cancelled jobs and reassign them, keep track of the jobs already done and not duplicate them, make the difference between the jobs he issued and those manually set, et cetera?

The manager's only in-game time-consuming job is to accept work orders. My interpretation is that this acceptation take into account all of the above (which we DO observe in-game), and to keep a minimum of realism it has to be limited to an arbitrary number of items.

Assuming he does this functions, the game could just take longer to issue orders.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 05:50:39 pm »

Assuming he does this functions, the game could just take longer to issue orders.
If it did, I would agree. Except Toady didn't choose to make it work that way. He must have his reasons, like simpler programming.

Pages: [1] 2