Custom Graphics- Phoebus
- 44 (26.8%)
Custom Graphics- Mayday
- 24 (14.6%)
Custom Graphics- Other(post)
- 9 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 164

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What do you use? Default ASCII or custom graphic sets?  (Read 8272 times)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: What do you use? Default ASCII or custom graphic sets?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2011, 02:55:17 pm »

Anyone know if there's a way to switch between tilesets within the game? (I know how to do it in init_d or whatever.) I want to mess with a few of the non-graphical "ASCII" types.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2011, 03:43:40 pm »

Well, using a tileset helped me get into the game because I didn't have to spend more time paused, figuring out what everything was than I did paused, trying to figure out how to murder everything with magma with the greatest efficiency. Honestly, though, I've never liked creature tiles, and I'm considering switching to ASCII just because I want to be able to tell on sight when something is, say, a goblin, rather than a many-tentacled megabeast.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2011, 04:01:22 pm »

I prefer graphics over ascii.  Started on Mayday but it still isn't updated for .19 so i'm currently using Ironhand.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2011, 05:01:06 pm »

I use Phoebus's tileset but I don't mind ASCII at all, I'm just fond of the retro-look.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2011, 05:11:37 pm »

I use a 16x16 ascii tileset that I made myself (and an 8x8 when windowed). While I admire the look of curses, I just can't get used to rectangles.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2011, 11:15:14 pm »

Mayday (.18)  Really not sure I'd want to play without a graphical tileset. 

I think the bigger issue down the road is that DF is going to have to move past using only a 16x16 character tileset.  Right now there's some weird things with one character being used to represent a bunch of different things, which makes life tricky for the tileset replacements.  Or it will have to separate presentation from content.

(As an example, when you close a north/south drawbridge in Mayday, the left end changes to be a tree icon due to DF representing that cell in a closed bridge using the ASCII symbols and using the same ASCII symbol for frozen winter trees as well.  Another common example is the "male symbol" vs "grain sack" or "female symbol" vs "amulet".)

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2011, 01:51:53 am »

ascii looks 1337. plus i get to freak my friends out by telling them its the matrix.
LOSING IS FUN!

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2011, 05:52:25 am »

I use Mayday's. ASCII is great for roguelikes but for DF I wanted something a little less abstract -- maybe because my first impressions of DF were articles and vidoes which did use Mayday's tileset. I've tried the other tilesets as well and each has some features that I like best, but I still go back to Mayday's when I'm playing "for real" and not puttering around.

timco35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2011, 08:02:45 am »

I was using Phoebus but I liked the Ironhands changes of late and have been using that now.

Right after a patch I usually just use whatever's ready first though.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2011, 09:38:34 am »

I began playing with Mayday's pack, and used tilesets for quite a long.
Lately, I've been playing with `synergy`, by Dvorovic. Not his own tileset really, but more like the best parts of other tilesets put togeter. I think it is quite nice.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, I can play with default ASCII without any problems, got used to it playing in Dfterm online. Too bad it doesn't support tilesets though.

Krabocopter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2011, 09:57:34 am »

I use Bisasam 16x16, it's keeps the ascii style but improves some tiles

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2011, 10:50:23 am »

ASCII only. Period.

Graphical tilesets absolutely ruin the game for me. They make the tiles too big, blocky, and goofy looking. They ruin text in menus, screw up the look of the overland map, and otherwise make things look silly.

Seeing the clouds in the sky as chunks of meat and dark towers as giant cabinets is just silly. Likewise, the male/female symbols are always an issue, as well as other silliness between tiles that are used for multiple things.

ASCII is the only set that doesn't do this, because the abstractness allows for you to recognize things in the proper context without that silliness. That ^ sign in your fort? A trap. The same sign on the overland map? A volcano. You know that because you are able to recognize the difference between the two views. A tileset can't do that.

A volcano should never look like a bear trap!!!

That is all.
Urist McSlayerdwarf cancels live: Interrupted by Chaos Sorcerer

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2011, 12:49:17 pm »

I use Tyrving's, since it's a 16x16 version of curses 800x600.  Maintains the original feel without the rectangles.

Cheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2011, 01:09:08 pm »

ASCII, modified Anikki's.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2011, 04:35:30 pm »

ASCII is the only set that doesn't do this, because the abstractness allows for you to recognize things in the proper context without that silliness. That ^ sign in your fort? A trap. The same sign on the overland map? A volcano. You know that because you are able to recognize the difference between the two views. A tileset can't do that.
(snipped the attitude out)

Which is why, as much as I prefer a graphical tileset, I said there needs to be more separation in the code between what an item is and how it gets presented on the screen.  Probably through the use of multiple tileset definitions to expand past the current 256 icon limit.  For the ASCII folks, all of the tilesets could be identical, but it would expand the possibilities for the graphical tilesets.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5