Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospitals: Daylight needed?  (Read 1189 times)

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospitals: Daylight needed?
« on: March 04, 2011, 07:50:25 pm »

I still hasn't found, despite the few insights I found on this forum, my ideal design for an hospital zone. But whilst i was tinkering about it this simple question arose: Do I need to tunnel daylight to the beds/traction benches to prevent cave adaptation of those brave warriors resting there?

P.S.: Grmpf, if that would be true I would wish for mirrors (Remember the Showdown from R.Scotts Legend) and maybe some specially cut gems to be used as a diffusor and 'nother cut for switches :sigh:

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitals: Daylight needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:54:56 pm »

beds need a roof to be built right?
LOSING IS FUN!

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:57:45 pm »

You don't need it, no. Better to have a barracks or meeting area outdoors to prevent cave adaptation, IMO, or just shrug off the milder version. In my experience, even a dwarf with multiple fractures will not remain in hospital THAT long unless they also suffered nerve damage -- and then they're bedridden forever or until the crutch bug is fixed, so cave adaptation is the least problem they have.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:59:20 pm »

If someone is in bed long enough to cave-adapt, then they're as good as dead.

Tirunus

• Bay Watcher
  • Something witty here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:08:15 pm »

^this If they cave adapt because they have been in the hospital that long they are crippled for good.
My personal text is in itself a attempt to be witty, making fun of the fact that peoples personal text usually are trying to make a witty one liner. Possibly a reference to the game or just a generally humorous. You may also find that this signature is not used to regurgitate someone else's joke in a attempt to immortalize that they felt but instead have just joined a crowd of people who are to hung onto past feeling, but is used to better explain the personal text.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:24:58 pm »

Do sunlight pass through windows? Do I have to use a window as floor or as wall to obtain sunlight underground? Or do both work?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:51:26 pm »

Sunlight passes through rock, at the moment.  Or to be more precise, once a square has been "polluted" with sunshine, it is sunny forevermore regardless of anything built overhead.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »

Sunlight does NOT pass through windows.  In fact, it only moves down, so it has to be open above to get sunny.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:07:42 pm »

Well, yes - and as they wouldn't venture into sunlight again the problem can be considered void...
But whence the time is there that those crippled war-heroes/veterans can entertain the depressed crowd during long sieges with their great epics... well, then I may think again about it.

Davichococat: look up the wiki for cave-adaptation*1. Thats why some of us use central stairs with a floored roof (or similiar approaches)...

*1: and maybe this article too...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:10:07 pm by Shandra »

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »

Sunlight passes through rock, at the moment.  Or to be more precise, once a square has been "polluted" with sunshine, it is sunny forevermore regardless of anything built overhead.

Do I still get sunlight through windows if...:
[ natural wall
| wall
o pillar
+ floor
: open space
# window
x wall to be deconstructed/mined
- blah blah blah/room to be lightened
STEP 1:
Side View

::|#|
::[[[
::[:[
-------
-------

STEP 2:
Side View
::[x[
-------
-------

STEP 3(profit?):
Side View
------- Is room now light/'polluted by sunlight, or not?
-------

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:30:59 pm »

This is true, however, sunlight is not what dictates cave adaptation -- the inside / outside tag does that. I've had a 16 year old fort where almost the entire fortress was "Inside Light" and nearly every single single non-military dwarf still ended up fully cave adapted. This was back in .31.12, but I doubt it's changed any since then.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 09:31:34 pm »

I feel like this is a stupid question.  To put it simply, if you ever expose the room to sunlight, it will remain lit.  So, if you dig a tunnel down from the surface to your hospital, it will let light in, even if you cover it over later.  Windows do not change sunlight at all, they do not let it in nor do they block it.  Only constructions will affect light.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 10:20:24 pm »

Girlinhat: The way I understand it since V0.28 times it only traverse (as previously said) along the z-axis, windows are along the x/y plane and so would not spread the light behind the z-axis shaft thats open/floored to the above.

Khift: Has anything changed for DF2k10? As that would contradict the current Wiki Article for it...

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 10:48:33 pm »

Girlinhat: The way I understand it since V0.28 times it only traverse (as previously said) along the z-axis, windows are along the x/y plane and so would not spread the light behind the z-axis shaft thats open/floored to the above.

Khift: Has anything changed for DF2k10? As that would contradict the current Wiki Article for it...
This was my experience for a .31.12 fort. I didn't do hard science, but I had the only meeting hall and dining hall + about 75% of the hallways all Inside Light and the whole fort still got cave adapted.