Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War....  (Read 1090 times)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
War....
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:16:53 pm »

So, I am perusing a world that I have recently generated, when I come across an area where my neighboring humans are "war", while the goblins are "--------". I believe I understand the latter, however I confess I cannot decide whether the humans are at war, at war with dwarves in general, at war with my civilization specifically, or that they died off in a war.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War....
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:18:26 pm »

AFAIK the listed status is in regards to your selected civ

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:19:30 pm »

WAR means that the civ, in this case humans, is at war with the dwarf civ you currently have selected. This may change depending on the nearest human civ to your potential embark site, or if you change to a different dwarf civ before embarking.

------ means that the civ is always hostile to your dwarves.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:23:25 pm »

I see. Not embarking there, then. I still can't draft a *proper* military: all I've managed to accomplish is to have a few soldiers, and make them kill a troglodyte or something.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:27:04 pm »

My fort Largebusts started off at war with the elves. they're still at war with them, despite my having killed over 200 of the buggers.  At what point do they give up and get the point already?  I envision this:

Elf Mcruler: Never mind that they have killed hundreds of us and slain two dragons by wrestling alone...we can take them with our crappy wooden weapons and armor! It's only a matter of time!

Elf McTroops: Yay!  Victory shall be ours!

(everyone dies)
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:28:47 pm »

AFAIK you don't, though you might if you mod them to have a diplomat.
Memento Mori

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 05:32:33 pm »

My fort Largebusts started off at war with the elves. they're still at war with them, despite my having killed over 200 of the buggers.  At what point do they give up and get the point already?  I envision this:

Elf Mcruler: Never mind that they have killed hundreds of us and slain two dragons by wrestling alone...we can take them with our crappy wooden weapons and armor! It's only a matter of time!

Elf McTroops: Yay!  Victory shall be ours!

(everyone dies)

But they bring nice war animals that you can butcher for food. Burning their wood equipment is satisfying. If you keep it up long enough, I've seen elven leaders bring siege squads to your fort.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 05:56:50 pm »

Coincidentally, I've noticed that mounted elves suck.  I unleashed a single addy-clad untrained soldier, who quickly skilled to legendary during the first ambush.  But I noticed that the elves always have war grizzly mounts, which is fairly cool, except that they only fight one at a time.  So instead of my dwarf fighting, trancing, and slaughtering wholesale, I instead have like 50 mounted elves loitering around, while my axedwarf kills them one by one, with the other elves patiently standing around until its their turn.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 06:12:50 pm »

I see. Not embarking there, then.

Or if it is a really good spot, try to regen the world (export it via legends or via images from fortress mode, then you get the world gen file for it) with another history and/or creature seed. For my last world I spend nearly 12hours to get a playable dwarfen civ (with access to iron and bit.coal) that wasn't at war with someone on my "I really want to settle there" Embark Spot... As an alternative to the seed you can also try to change the number of non-mountain and/or mountain caves or number of civs, etc. - just fiddle with all the parameters that influence the civilisations and not the terrain ;)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 07:12:09 pm »

Actually, I happened to find the place randomly, it wasn't really particularly useful. As it turns out, however, all of the humans on the entire southern part of my map were at war with us.

Thanks though.