Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bridge question  (Read 1084 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
Bridge question
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:48:35 pm »

Right, this is a fairly simple question, basically, what happens if you have two bridges arranged like so
[][]
[][]
[][] , both linked to the same trigger, both raise toward the centre. if a goblin is on them and they raise, what happens? I rtink he is sandwhiched but im not sure.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:36:05 pm »

I am fairly sure that is the base of a Dwarven Atom Smasher. Just make the bridges longer.

Note;
I have never tried this.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 04:39:43 pm »

When a raising bridge raises, one edge of the bridge turns into a wall.  Anything standing on the tiles that turn into a wall gets destroyed.  Anything elsewhere on the bridge gets thrown randomly up to 11 tiles away.  So if you set up two bridges that raise towards each other simultaneously, any creature standing on the center 2 tiles (the parts of the bridges that become walls) will get crushed, while anything else will just get flung around randomly.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »

So You have both a D.A.S and a Goblin catapult. Enjoy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:28:44 pm »

Actually, if it's two bridges, each 1x3 and facing inwards, then you have a 2x3 collapsible wall which will be immune to building destroyers.  Anything on either bridge will be atom smashed when it's raised.  To further clarrify, this is a bridge that raises to the west:
[][][][]
It will cause objected to be (A)tom smashed, or (F)lung when raised:
[A][F][F][F]

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:59:23 pm »

So would two bridges

[][][][] - bridge 1
[][][][] - bridge 2

One that raises south, and one that raises north, would the entire thing be an atom smasher and not a flinger?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:12:28 pm »

Correct.  Any bridge that is 1 tile wide OR 1 tile tall, will be an atom-smasher.  You can make 10 bridges, each 1x10, each raising in the same direction, and you'd have a 10x10 area of pure atom-smash.  You'd just need the mechanisms for it.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 07:13:50 pm »

That is so cool, I'm going to have to try it out. Will give me some sort of defense besides the traps, since I can never get my military up to par by the time I need them.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 07:18:28 pm »

for extra fun, link them to pressure plates instead of levers, so that they work automatically
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 07:20:03 pm »

Beware of killing your own dwarves, bridges work on a delay, so it's very possible to accidentally atom-smash your men.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 07:25:27 pm »

The other approach is to use not drawbridges but retractable bridges. Build a narrow ledge out of constructed floors. Over the ledge have a deep pit. You can fill it with water, magma, spikes, or angry, drunken dwarven soldiers waiting with axes.

Over the ledge build retracting bridges. Link them to a lever.

The retracting bridges are entirely harmless on their own. However they do randomly fling creatures and objects around. If they are walking across a narrow walkway over a pit, this means they will likely be flung into the pit.

You can decide what you want to have at the bottom of your pit.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 07:29:51 pm »

A drowning pit full of carp.  On fire.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 07:35:36 pm »

zombie carp
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 07:40:08 pm »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 09:22:55 pm »

The other approach is to use not drawbridges but retractable bridges. Build a narrow ledge out of constructed floors. Over the ledge have a deep pit. You can fill it with water, magma, spikes, or angry, drunken dwarven soldiers waiting with axes.

Over the ledge build retracting bridges. Link them to a lever.

The retracting bridges are entirely harmless on their own. However they do randomly fling creatures and objects around. If they are walking across a narrow walkway over a pit, this means they will likely be flung into the pit.

You can decide what you want to have at the bottom of your pit.

The only problem with this setup is that anything above a certain size (ogres are one thing that comes to mind) will cause your bridge to deconstruct instead of flinging the creature.  This can prove to be disastrous in the wrong situation, I prefer to use the good ol 'dodge the weapon traps' trick instead, which has its own foibles, but is a little less likely to end in FUN.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: [1] 2