Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trading issues  (Read 3633 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading issues
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:45:32 pm »

Well, trying to trade with my fellow dwarfs ended giving me this message:

"with your trade goods such as they are I can't fathom you ending up with all of those items"

Since I have all stockpiles, the trader was going to get a profit of 200 buckets and I have good relations with them, why this guy still refuses to trade?

Never had this issue before, tried some things but nothing fixed this.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
Re: Trading issues
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 03:52:57 pm »

means your trying to get to much stuff. drop some items from the asking menu and boost his profit. he is basicly complaning about HIS profit from that
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:53:34 pm »

"with your trade goods such as they are I can't fathom you ending up with all of those items" is merchant for give me a bigger profit margin.  If you're trying for about 150-350 bucks of stuff from them that level of profit will satisfy them, otherwise give them more stuff.  Although if you have a REALLY good negotiator you might be able to give them a really small amount of profit.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 04:23:09 pm »

Well, trying to trade with my fellow dwarfs ended giving me this message:

"with your trade goods such as they are I can't fathom you ending up with all of those items"

Since I have all stockpiles, the trader was going to get a profit of 200 buckets and I have good relations with them, why this guy still refuses to trade?

Never had this issue before, tried some things but nothing fixed this.

I usually give them a *lot* higher profit margin than that.  We're talking double their money or more.  Anyhow, yeah, you need to give them more stuff in trade.  They don't want just any profit, they want a good profit.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 04:35:22 pm »

It's a new fort, so I can't spare much. Well, not much of what they can carry, as I have some spare stone.

Thanks for the answers! I will have to wait until the Autumn again to give them something.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:33:26 pm »

It's a new fort, so I can't spare much.

Try to have a dedicated stonecrafter, he will turn a stone into one to three crafted items worth at least 10 and often more than 50 each. Or a bone carver, if you are a rancher.
Or you might want to sell some prepared foodstuff. Stacks of 20 masterfully prepared food are often worth more than everything the merchant carries combined (I think about 13.000 was the hightest price I got from something made from 2 x whip wine flour and a few berries.)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 05:35:18 pm »

Does item quality or value matter here too? I've noticed you can give, say, 100 stone crafts worth ten each, or one platinum idol worth a thousand.  Let's say youre trading either one for 750 in goods.  I have seen where the trader will bitch about his profits with the stone crafts, yet happily accept the SAME value amount in the form of the platinum idol. So I think the types/quality/so on of the items counts, too.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 05:57:03 pm »

Starting off, your best trade goods might be pointed wooden balls. Especially if you start with a skilled carpenter (I do in my standard embarks). They currently weigh nothing, and are worth much more than stone mugs of the same quality. Definitely beats mechanisms due to its extreme light weight.

I find you have to give the traders at least 50% profit on trades in the beginning, until you get a highly skilled trader. If they really don't like you, you may have to up their profit to 100% before they will trade.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 06:07:30 pm »

The "I can't fathom you ending up with all those items" thing is basically what the merchant says when he would make a counteroffer asking for more stuff, but he can't because even if he asks for everything you have at the depot it still wouldn't be enough.

So basically this translates to "move more of your stuff to the depot and try again"

If you do have enough stuff moved to the depot, he will just try to add it to a "superior" counteroffer.

I usually remove some stuff from his counteroffer and try to meet in the middle unless he starts getting unhappy, or I don't really need to trade that badly.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 06:20:01 pm »

The "I can't fathom you ending up with all those items" thing is basically what the merchant says when he would make a counteroffer asking for more stuff, but he can't because even if he asks for everything you have at the depot it still wouldn't be enough.

Not true.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 06:40:06 pm »

Does item quality or value matter here too? I've noticed you can give, say, 100 stone crafts worth ten each, or one platinum idol worth a thousand.  Let's say youre trading either one for 750 in goods.  I have seen where the trader will bitch about his profits with the stone crafts, yet happily accept the SAME value amount in the form of the platinum idol. So I think the types/quality/so on of the items counts, too.

Yes. I'm currently buying up whole caravans worth of goods with three or four masterwork gold crafts each.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 07:52:55 pm »

lol just hit (t)rade again.
LOSING IS FUN!

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 09:40:17 pm »

Hitting trade again won't work, they give the same thing, and I offered more for them and they didn't accept, got pissed and leaved before I could kill them.

In times like these I repent not embarking with a volcano. The first thing I should have done is connect the trade depot with the volcano and flood it when anything like this happened.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 10:07:30 pm »

If you have even a basic military you can always just slaughter them all when you feel like it, as I routinely do with elves.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 10:11:56 pm »

If you have even a basic military you can always just slaughter them all when you feel like it, as I routinely do with elves.

They are dwarves, and I don't even have one ore of metal to slaughter them. If they were elfs, I would just take what I want from them. My military will equip with the few silver they extract from galena until I have some steady steel supply coming from my civilization.
Pages: [1] 2