Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Airfail the Fortress of Tragedy (Succesion Fort, NEEDS OVERSEER)  (Read 18544 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Airfail the Fortress of Tragedy (Succesion Fort)
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2011, 09:01:03 pm »

Yeah, I've just learned that painless enemies don't fall easily to war hammers and bolts, they just shrug and keep on slashing until they finally die. We might want some slashing weapons to cut off hands and feet, but our material options are pretty limited, and I don't really feel like going for adamantine cheating.

Giant glass serrated disk weapon traps?

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2011, 09:24:34 pm »

Giant glass serrated disk weapon traps?

Unfortunately, the fix for Glass's 'MAX_EDGE' property won't be in until the next release, so it's still a crapshoot at the moment.

However, we should have a good bit of material (bronze?) from these buggers, so it oughta' work out.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:55 pm »

GCS are the least of my army. I'm thinking Blind Cave ogres in cages surrounded by walls before the entrance. We pop open the cages, they charge out, we shut the bridge. They should do some damage, and if they win, all we have to do is re-capture them. GCS breeding pair WILL take awhile though.

By the way... Theres a fair chance I'll be grounded Wednsday. If I'm not on for a few days in a row, skip my turn.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:47:04 pm by BlastoiseWarlorf »

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2011, 01:12:26 pm »

WINTER 128

As it turned out, Winter would be most peaceful season the dwarves would have had for a long time. With their appointed overseer dead, there was little left in terms of grand projects, and the besieging parties prevented any further access to the outside of the village. After the foul blendecs finally gave up on avenging their fallen, a joint effort of frogmen and dark stranglers took their place almost immediately. Now surrounded on all sides by more than fourty invaders, and with a military still in shambles, reclaiming the countryside would have to be postponed, for now.

Meanwhile, the wave of sadness and anger was taking its toll. Three dwarves couldn't stand the loss of their friends, their lovers or their relatives, and went mad. The most tragic death, however, would be the one of the mayor. Unable to stand due to a serious injury in the battle, he was stuck in the dormitory. Dwarves were lining up to yell at him, the only remaining member of authority still alive. Unhappy and unable to calm the anger of so many dwarves, his responses were harsh, his words quick to blame others. Dwarves soon started forsaking him, until he could count not a single of the dwarves as friends. Depending on the good will of charitable soul for water and food, there was a day no-one came to bring his sustenance. Alone, in a deserted room, thirst claimed him, and his remains where placed in silence, without ceremony, in the graveyard.

Despite the current atmosphere of sorrow and anguish, a dwarf managed to find inspiration. A simple weaver made a truly magnificent toga, crafted from silk gathered once again from the dangerous caverns by brave miners. The product immediately gave him new confidence, as he began to dream of grand weaveries and thriving clothing industry. They would have to wait for new rulership, however, or at least for things to settle down. The new mayor was among the least happy dwarves, but she was calm and serene despite the cruel hardships she had suffered. Still, her miserable state was visible to all, and only in the later days on winter would she finally cheer up a little. She ordered some dwarves in the danger room, in hope that training could somehow avoid a repetition of the autumn tragedy, but kept the lockdown in effect for the rest of the season.

While silk was gathered in the cavern, a protective building was built around the central shaft, allowing the rapid sealing of the whole mines with the push of a lever. Fortifications were built on the top layer, where a bait of any kind can be put to lure beasts from below. Safe behind fortifications, dwarves could then shoot the intruders without a risk of retaliation.

As the first signs of spring started to show, the graveyard was finally completed, and most of the tombstones put in place. The last remaining pieces were about to be finished, and the area started to slowly fill with statues commemorating the feats of the dead.

Spoiler: Memorials (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statues (click to show/hide)

A shorter update this time but nothing really happened in winter, I just did some damage control and built the graveyard and bunker. There are still a few memorial slabs missing, but they have been ordered at the craftdwarf's workshop and should be ready soon. There is also an order for statues, in case some of them depict dead dwarves it would be nice to put them near their graves. The whole place is designated as a memorial garden, so dwarves can gather and admire the slabs and statues there.

There are no more miserable dwarves, just the very unhappy mayor and some unhappy others. We are still under siege by many foes, but they are only frogmen and dark stranglers. We do have quite a lot of bismuth bronze from the foul blendecs, and a few bars of bronze available from melting other equipments, but nowhere near enough to outfit a full squad.

The save is here : http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3960

Map : http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-26847-entrancebridge

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2011, 01:31:26 pm »

Excellent set of updates. :)  I'm grabbing the save and taking a look at it now..

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2011, 01:49:07 pm »

Did you create my bunker for me? If so, Thanks.
It's to bad that Stonesense doesnt work for me. Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:50:55 pm by BlastoiseWarlorf »

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2011, 01:58:08 pm »

The bunker isn't your design, I guess it could be used to capture beasts from below but it's far less versatile and much smaller than what you had planned. It's mostly here to quickly seal off the mines in case an accident happens. I built it while I had weavers gather silk in open caverns for the moody dwarf, just in case a forgotten beast showed up :)

What is wrong with Stonesense ? It should work, as long as you use the windows SDL version. You just need the latest memory.xml or svn build.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2011, 02:05:53 pm »

It just doesn't connect. And I plan to seperate the traps from the main fort so that even If I mess up, we shouldnt be to fucked. We lost a lot during that last seige. I propose a Magma Defence System. Or a hell load of Cage traps.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2011, 04:42:37 pm »

I guess I'll take a turn, but be warned, I've never played Fortress Defense mod before.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2011, 05:33:52 pm »

I guess I'll take a turn, but be warned, I've never played Fortress Defense mod before.

Just to show how Fortress Defense goes... a fresh siege has shown up, and there are now 46 Dark Stranglers + 3 Elites, 69 Frog Men, the Frog Man General and 3 more elites, and also 59 war tigers.

We have copper, and a smattering of bronze. Ugh.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2011, 06:05:59 pm »

We need towers for the archers to shoot past the walls from, even the odds a little against anything biological.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2011, 06:14:44 pm »

We need towers for the archers to shoot past the walls from, even the odds a little against anything biological.

Yep. I'm building a gatehouse to hold some traps in, and fortifications above it for crossbow dwarves. I'll have a proper update up a little later.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2011, 06:17:18 pm »

Don't forget we also have tons of silver ;)

You could try to lure one squad at a time in the city walls and bash them with the team of legendary hammerdwarves. They should block most things coming their way so armor's not too important as long as they don't get overwhelmed.

Alternatively, open then immediately close the bridge, and all the enemies should slowly path to its location. From there, use the ~40 markdwarves in the militia to shoot a few and scare them away, frogmen and stranglers aren't very persistent. Some archer towers can help lower the gap.

You could also make use of some catapults, by carving fortifications in walls and shooting the gathered groups with some of our ~3k boulders. Just remember they have to be on the same z-level as enemies to hit them.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2011, 06:18:35 pm »

You could also make use of some catapults, by carving fortifications in walls and shooting the gathered groups with some of our ~3k boulders. Just remember they have to be on the same z-level as enemies to hit them.

Holy shit, THIS.

I'd forgotten completely about catapults.
---

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2011, 07:32:40 pm »

My time as leader will focus on traps. Surround our moat with cage traps, create an Altar to Armok.Also, The gate house is a good idea. And Ballistae work aswell if we need em.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12