Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Airfail the Fortress of Tragedy (Succesion Fort, NEEDS OVERSEER)  (Read 18541 times)

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Airfail the Fortress of Tragedy (Succesion Fort)
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 02:51:01 pm »

Do you want some tame giant cave spiders ? I have no objection but it's Draignean's game, not mine.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 02:55:54 pm »

Yeah, I see much opportunity for Fun with this plan. Go for it, make some interesting pets.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 04:49:26 pm »

SUMMER 128 - Part 1

Summer started with some good news. Good news for Kzel that is, but bad news for one of the random peasants now assigned to cutting blocks out of the plentiful leftover rock from the recent mining operations. The mayor, finally recognizing Kzel's value as his plan was coming to fruition, decided to blame a poor soul named Kogan Atirlanggud for the settlement's failure in providing electrum.

The news hit the dwarf like a shock, for she had never worked with the metal her entire life. Her only smithing experience was with the forging of arms, for which electrum is too soft to be of any use. Thankfully for her, no sheriff was appointed yet as the mayor still had more requests coming up, and Kzel could still suffer the blame for the now urgent mandate for crystal glass items.

The magma pump stack was now finished, at last, as the last mason put the finishing touch on the upper pump. All access doors were locked, and a final security check later, the design was deemed ready for use. The magma control room would be the manager's room, for he spends most of his time here and has little work now that his skills have gotten better. That should provide fast reaction in case the device needs to be shut down in emergency.

But there was no need to worry, for the pump worked as intended and the molten rock started flowing under the settlement, warming the soil as it passed by. The paving of the cistern had prevented any tree from growing in and blocking the flow, but a bar of charcoal somehow made it down there, too late to recover now. As soon as magma came in contact with it, it began to emit smoke and burn widely.

Workshops were ready, in sets of 4 of each kind. There was not enough anvils to build 4 forges yet, so that would have to wait, and armor and weaponcrafters would have to share the only building available. Smelters to the west, glass smelter to the east. Forges to the north, and kilns to the south. Too bad the map had no clay anywhere, or they could have access to another source of infinite wealth. Nevertheless, elves had brought some fire clay earlier this year and the dwarves may also bring some more, giving the settlement a way to use its talented potters and glazers.

Smelting of Galena and Tetrahedrite started immediately, and the ten most skilled melee soldiers drafted in a hammer squad. Full sets of copper armor and silver warhammers were ordered, but the combined clumsiness of the smelters and high lead waste from Galena made the process took more time than expected. Meanwhile, a small magma dump area was set up and the settlement finally cleared of all the vermin remains left lying around everywhere.

The relative calm was coming to an end, as a raiding party of dark strangler came from multiple direction on the horizon. The beasts had proven cowardly in their previous fights against the dwarves, but they were now attacking in far greater numbers, more than 30 of them were marching on and getting close to the bridge.

But their cowardly nature would get the better of them anyway. The first squad almost made it past the bridge, but as it started losing members to the volleys of bolts, the rest quickly turned tail. Seeing the fleeing comrades in arms, the other squads of Dark Stranglers also turned away from their target, and the siege was over before it even started.

Things were looking up, metal armor and green glass blocks were being churned out by the dozen and work on the outer wall was progressing at a steady pace, with two sides covered. The recent victory against the stranglers gave hope to the dwarves, and the mayor finally received a masterpiece statue that made him accept his lodgings as decent. Hopefully that would put an end to the impossible mandates and demands once and for all.

I have removed Exotic from Giant Cave Spiders, but I probably won't try to capture one in my turn.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 09:25:25 pm »

You should All just let me do it. I shall outfit Airfail with the might of hundreds of cavern creatures. Any Goblin with in 300 meters of this fort will shit a brick.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:01 pm »

Cheers. I'm glad you got the pump stack up and running, since I'm pretty darn terrible at those. :)

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 11:09:32 pm »

Cheers. I'm glad you got the pump stack up and running, since I'm pretty darn terrible at those. :)
Same here. Now we have some armour and better bolts. The Melee squad may not be the smartest idea as we usually make it just fine without them.

EDIT

Also, Dorf me as 'Blast'. Proffesion as animal trainer/caretaker , please.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:12:47 pm by BlastoiseWarlorf »

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 12:21:28 am »

I've dorfed you as a talented animal trainer, here he is :

Spoiler: Blast (click to show/hide)

The second part of summer was... eventful. I've lost a couple of dwarves, but no-one named or really important. Except our best soldier. And our high master bowyer. Ah well. Writeup will be coming up tonight.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 03:03:50 pm »

Summer had started with hope. Summer had started with victory. Summer had started with joy. But summer had also started with a mistake, an unlucky dodge in the waters.

Our best soldier, dodging out of the way of a dark strangler's escape, had fallen in the moat. Dwarves are known to be poor swimmers, but a swift reaction could still save him. Ramps were close by, and a wall torn down to allow him a quick path back on solid ground. He, however, did not want to move. Overestimating his capacities, he started firing on the fleeing dark strangler that had pushed him down. He quiver was still full, he did not want to miss a chance to score a kill.

And a kill he scored, but at what cost ? When finally he noticed the water fill his lung and his air running out, the markdwarf started panicking. Moving wildly in the water and the muddy soil, he could not advance a step, and the rest of the military could do nothing but watch as their most skilled member was slowly drowning. Unable to stand the grim spectacle, most turned their head away, until finally the water settled, and it was over.

While the whole fortress was having a hard time coping with the loss of one of their elites, more grim news were yet to come.

A raiding party of frog men was spotted on the horizon, while the remains of the dark strangler assault had not even left the surroundings. The warriors looked unimpressive, and were only using melee weaponry. Airfail's massive ranged power had nothing to fear from them, and the army was quickly mobilized and assembled at the gate. However, the civilian alert was not deemed necessary, and work was requested to 'continue as usual'.

The first ambush came soon after the frog men started marching to the bridge. A team of goblin lashers and crossbowmen, obviously as much at war with the frog men as we were, started attacking them. Amused and interested to learn of the new foes' strength, much of Airfail turned its eyes to the east, where the battle was taking place.

But from the west came the shout. As frogmen easily finished their prey, all the ears and eyes of Airfail turned to a small squad of goblins, who successfully ambushed our master bowyer as he was fetching a few remaining pieces of wood. The marksgoblin proved deadly in his accuracy, pinning the dwarf down before he could hightail it to the security of the settlement. Meanwhile, the army charged down the bridge and turned west to rush to their brethren aid. Alas, they would be too late, as a lasher quickly gained ground and put an end to our best weapon crafter to date, using his scourge to shatter his skull.

Upon hearing the characteristic death cry of the bowyer, Kzel ordered the military back in the protective layer of wall, for frog men were now gaining ground and approaching the bridge as well. However, for revenge or simply because they couldn't hear the order between the war cries of the goblins and the bolts whistling through the air, the army marched on, continuing west. They met the goblin ambush team far from the entrance, with only part of their members.

The goblin armed with a crossbow, however, proved to be an elite in training, as he shot to death one of our own with very few bolts. Enraged, the remnants of the military started unleashing bolts after bolts, but the protective layer of lashers gave the marksgoblin all the opportunity it needed to empty his quiver, inflicting serious injuries on most of the soldiers. While none of these would prove fatal, they were seriously diminished and unlikely to resist the frogmen's assault, as they had wiped with ease their own ambush without a single casualty.

Frog Men were now desperately close by, and a decision had to be made. A decision that Kzel will probably regret for a long time, probably all his life, but the settlement's life was now at risk. With a resolute face, he ordered the stationed militia next to the bridge to stand back, and ordered the lever pulled. The bridge went up swiftly, just as the frog men were coming into view.

Many dwarves protested, and gathered at the entrance. Most were acquaintances of the military men, some were friends. All were supplied with bolts and crossbows. They started laying down a barrage of bolts the fierceness of which had never been seen by dwarven eyes. While the shooters had poor skills, they had good weapons and plenty of ammo, enough to distract the besieging team from the wounded military a little further west. The frogmen's advances lasted few seconds before the injuries began, stray bolts hitting here and there. An order of retreat was apparently given, as the amphibians started to pull back to the south.

But the dwarves were thirsty for blood, thirsty for revenge. Without even an order from Kzel, the bridge was lowered and the civilians charged down, raining bolts and taking out their anger on the fleeing frog men. The beasts proved to be the most resilient they had encountered yet, most of them making it out of range. Two of them were too slow to make it out alive. One of them was killed by none other than our previous overseer, Billybobfred.

The injured military was then hauled back to the hospital, where they received the best possible care by our resident Physician and our Nurse. Swiftly evaluated and cleaned with the soap the fortress had an abundance of, none of the wounds would prove fatal, but the moral blow was one that would take more than a few days to recover from.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 06:53:42 pm »

Uh-oh. We should go lockdown for awhile. We should have some wood inside, give our doctors some time to heal up all the milita.

BTW,

My strategy wil consist of many traps. May THESE be built underground? Or do you all wish for the Fun of me making a stairway straight into the caverns? I will also be starring in my very own private milita squad. Equipped with war-anything-I-can-get-my-hands-on.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:59:36 pm by BlastoiseWarlorf »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 07:39:31 pm »

Stairway straight into the caverns is my vote, give it a couple of easily disabled foolproof lockdown mechanisms and surround the surface entrance with a bunker.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 08:25:20 pm »

Alright. I need an opinion on the traps.

OOOOOOO
         O xxWxx O
         O xxxxxx O
O O O O xxxxxx O O O O
OAxxx                   xxNO
Oxxxx      OOO       xxNO
Oxxxx      OPO        xxNO
Oxxxx      OLO         xxNO
OAxxx                   xxNO
O O O OOFSFOO O O O

O = Walls
W = Wodden Door
S = Stone Door
F = Fortifications
A = Chained animal
N = Food/Finished goods
x = Traps
P = Passage to Cavern
L = Stone door attached to lever

~~

The Wood door attracts building destroyers
-
The Chained animal attracts violents
-
The Goods attract theives
-
Stone doors are forbidden when trap is active
-
Lever door is opened from the poutside to minimalize Dwarf Cassualties
-
Whole structure is roofed
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:19:32 pm by BlastoiseWarlorf »

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 01:06:02 pm »

Sounds good to me, you might want a raising bridge to close the whole setup instead of stone doors. Forgotten Beasts and other Building Destroyers 2 can destroy them and wreak havoc in the fort.

Autumn would begin by the immediate construction of a line of Fortifications along the sides of the bridge. No more shall dwarves dodge in the water and subsequently drown. Fortifications would still allow the markdwarves line of fire, and prevent the risk of ambushers falling down the outer dry moat, and coming back in the center of the fort.

Not long after, from the lowest pits of the mines, haulers and miners reported a terrifying sound. A forgotten beast had come! It apparently came very close to the pump stack walls, so its ability to fly is evident. Engineer immediately reported that were the magma pool drained too much, the best could squeeze through. A note was added on the magma controls, asking responsible operative to stop the pumping once the level of magma reaches 4/7 or below.

Another arch-nemesis made its return to Airfail in the beginning of the season. A band of three innocent looking raccoons were slowly making their way into the fortress, under the watchful but placid eye of the military, whose members had made a full recovery and now counted new members. However, Hood remembered Mireglitter of Withering, the cow bone shield the fiends had stolen in the early days of the fortress. On his way to resume training after a fine drink, he stopped dead on his track and opened fire. The rest of the squad followed the Sniper's lead without question, and the beast were killed before they could do any more mischief.

Production of weapons and armor was in the meantime at a full stop. Although the metal bars were plentiful, and the magma hot below the building, a possession had occurred and a dwarf was now occupying the only magma forge they had. There was still only one anvil, as neither silver, copper nor lead are suitable metals for the construction of another. Bothering the dwarf or driving him out would spell his doom, and this was something Kzel was not ready to accept after the recent events.

However, there was another problem. The dwarf was not moving. Frozen is contemplation, he kept mumbling something about cloth. He had already taken copper and gems, but the batches of rope reed cloth were apparently not to his liking, nor the humongous amount of tanned hide bought by previous overseers. Knowing how subtle and demanding dwarves can be when under control from greater beings, Kzel ordered the production of other types of cloth. Draignean bravely volunteered to open the caverns and gather some silk, but even that did not make the dwarf move, as he sent away the bundle of cloth in a fit of rage.

There was now only one other option : wool cloth. The dwarf wanted wool cloth. They had none, and none of their animals had a shearable mane. The fortress was examined from top to bottom, and among the pages of the bookeeper was found mention of some wool cloth, assigned to the hospital stock. Without delay, the container was raided and its content presented to the moody dwarf. It was apparently what he needed, and soon, he began his work. The creation took many days, more days still without production of silver war hammers, copper armor and silver bolts. The whole metalsmithing crew was getting impatient, when finally the dwarf emerged to his senses, holding a spear of unequaled quality :

It found its place in the mayor's office, since the military deemed the copper which made its base useless from a combat perspective, despite its evident quality. The mayor however was delighted, and bragged about having quarters fit for royalty from there on.

After all these delays, it was already late autumn when production of equipment finally resumed. The stocks of metal bars were high, and the skilled armor and weapon smiths available made short work of the long standing list of orders the manager had put up months ago. Soon, the opportunity to put their new found strength would present itself.

And enemies did come, but they were as of yet unknown to the dwarves. Their shapes vaguely ressembled foul blendecs, but the creatures were known to dwell on evil lands only. They were also never depicted carrying weapons, but the besieging was holding well crafted weapons and armor made of bismuth bronze. The opportunity was too great : they could show the power of their settlement, and gather some good metal to smelt. The bridge was left open, the military assembled, and the wait started.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:13:54 pm by kzel »

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 02:08:47 pm »

AUTUMN 128 - Part 2

The newly founded hammer squad, still in the process of receiving the latest pieces of armor, was eagerly waiting its first opportunity to shine in battle, after copious amounts of training in the dirt. Their friends, the crossbowdwarves, were here to provide fire support if things were to turn awry. There was only a dozen of these foul blendecs, whatever they were. All in all, an easy victory with the twenty of them.

After a long wait, the blendec finally came into view, and the hammerdwarves charged. The archers began to unload their bolts. And cries of pain were soon heard among the settlement. But these were not the cries of the blendecs. The beast were ignoring pain, ignoring fear, and were marching one, slashing at targets as they passed by. The silver hammers were breaking bones, but the beasts didn't fall over, didn't give in. And the copper armor, the masterful, exceptional and well-crafted armor, did nothing. Slashes from the sword wielding monsters, hacks from their axe wielding leader, all were passing through the well crafted protection like butter. Overrun, unable to stop the advance of the fiends as their were now closing on their ranged support, the hammerdwarves fought on, but they were unable to stop their foes, while losing more and more of their members.

The whole garrison of twenty dwarves had only managed to defeat one foul blendec when the monsters reached melee range, and from there, things turned to worse. The marksdwarves had only leather for armor, and it proved even less protective than copper. All but one of the hammerdwarves had succumbed to their wounds, and the only remaining dwarf in the squad painfully limped to the town square, and sounded the alert.

The other dwarves, expecting sounds of battle, had paid little attention to the details of the battle, but the resounding bell quickly informed them of the situation : the bridge was taken, and their military had fallen. A battle for life and death was about to start, and all fit hands were required now, crossbows and bolts at the ready. The militia was called to arms.

Bolts were raining down on the foul blendec, but they were doing little to stop them as they continued their onslaught of carnage and destruction. Dwarves were falling left and right to the mighty slashes of the beasts, and they had now dispersed to pursue targets all over the village. The hospital was full of heavily wounded dwarves, the future streets covered with cadavers and body parts. And things were getting even worse: along the horizon, another blendec squad was spotted. Nine more blendec were slowly marching on. Enough to bring them to an end, considering the damage the others already did.

The bridge was immediately ordered raised, even though the lever was in a dangerous area, now controlled by the three foul blendec remaining. The militia had proven successful in stopping the others, but at a terrible cost. More than twenty of them had passed, more were wounded and waiting for a bed in the hospital. Forgetting all senses of self preservation, the doctor rushed out of the hospital and pulled the bridge lever, just before an axe fell on his head. The rest of the dwarves were now faced with a difficult decision. Their leader had fallen, succumbing during an enraged counterattack after he saw his wife and newborn slaughtered. There was only three blendecs now, and more than fifty of them. Most had ran out of bolts and resorted to bashing the heads of the incredibly sturdy monsters. Still, their courage never faltered, none ran or sought shelter in the mines. Overrunning the blendecs one after the other, they were slowly succeeding, but more and more of them were falling in the process.

Finally, the last of the invaders inside the town wall exploded in a cloud of miasma, and the battle was over. The second squad of foul blendec was still on the other side of the moat, but that was not time for foolish bravery. The bridge would remain closed until the situation had stabilized and the settlement had gathered its strengh. The first thing to do now, was to bury and mourn the dead.

The graveyard, previously a small corner in the northwest of the settlement, was immediately expanded to hold the many dwarves fallen in battle. Overall, more than thirty of them didn't live past the season, more than a third of the settlement. Their leader Kzel, their previous overseer billybobfred, and their sniper Hood were among the casualties. Now that the frenzy of battle was over, many dwarves started to realize the sad turn of events, and many tears were shed, but work kept on going. The least they could do was honor their heroes, and for that, a grand cemetery would be needed. A talented engraver was appointed Gravekeeper, and began the long task of engraving memorial for each and every dwarf that died in the recent days.

Tending the wounded was another priority, and a new migrant rose to the position of Chief Medical Dwarf, after the previous holder of the title lost his life in an act that probably saved them all. The nurse was still in one piece, and with the help of all the other dwarves, diagnosing, cleaning, surgery and bone setting started on the many, many injuries the recent battle had brought.

Autumn was now coming to a close, and the fate of the dwarven caravan was now another subject of concern. Under siege, they would not approach, or worse, succumb in the attempt. As days passed on, the dwarves lost hope of contact from the outside world, and the morale, already at an all time low, descended even more.

So yeah, don't take foul blendecs lightly, they are fearsome... Now I just need to limit the damage and prevent a full fledged tantrum spiral. We have 56 dwarves left, out of ~80 before the attack. We lost many named dwarves, only Draignean and Magentawolf survived, both uninjured. We still have the near legendary armor and weapon smiths, but both are miserable. There are many cripples, missing either legs or arms. I think this is manageable though, and billybobfred's steam machine will certainly come in handy.

We shall prevail !

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 05:33:51 pm »

Ah shit. I died? Well, whatever. Give a random dwarf my name, and the custom Proffesion of Animal Whisperer. We wont need military when we have an army of GCS. Oh, I also plan to dump blind ogres in the dry moat... SHOULD work. And the bridge Idea is useless, as I plan to seperate the trap room from the main fort by a bridge and moat. That might have to wait... As these bastards feel no pain.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 07:06:46 pm »

Yeah, I've just learned that painless enemies don't fall easily to war hammers and bolts, they just shrug and keep on slashing until they finally die. We might want some slashing weapons to cut off hands and feet, but our material options are pretty limited, and I don't really feel like going for adamantine cheating.

I don't think giant cave spiders will do much good against armored foes, their teeth can't penetrate most armors and without bites, no poison. Tame ones barely spit any web, and Fortress Defense has many armored foes, even if they lack total coverage. You would need to breed or capture a lot of them to replace a military, and just getting one male and female to show up in a fort can take a very long time. No doubt flying siegers will be onto us before then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12