Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Game in development - require talented people! (SSX)  (Read 4415 times)

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
Re: Game in development - require talented people! (SSX)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 05:27:18 pm »

I'm sure some of the bs12dev team will be intrested in helping out as were are working on our C++ port at the moment.

EDIT: Are you using a engine or is it written from scratch and if so what libs?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:30:54 pm by head »
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 05:30:35 pm »

Oh hi head :). Are you okay if I try to drag here something of the stuff I am making for you once it's ready?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 05:31:19 pm »

Oh hi head :). Are you okay if I try to drag here something of the stuff I am making for you once it's ready?

Nah you own them rights anyway :D

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 05:34:46 pm »

omg

I'm sure some of the bs12dev team will be intrested in helping out as were are working on our C++ port at the moment.
Not a dev but whatever D:

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 05:35:36 pm »

omg

some

Mloc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 05:59:53 pm »

omg

some

Like me.
(Except for that problem with it not compiling for me...)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 06:07:55 pm »

Ohhh I'd love to make my suggestion lists right now... if they weren't excessive and headache indusing to those reading it. (and if people usually suggest them before myself)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 06:22:41 pm »

Oh great lord, ss13 without byond?! Guys if you pull this off you would have me deepest gratitude and some coffee money if you ask for donations.

btw. Will be the dialogues listed on a separate console like in ss13? Cause i always taught that it would be less distracting if the sentences spoken appear on screen next to characters which talked.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 06:24:48 pm »

I liked the concept of SS13 I just couldn't play it for the life of me and the interface even when understanding it was a NIGHTMARE

Just picking up objects and placing them down (or the dreaded opening of boxes) was a puzzle and a chore.

BEYOND needs to improve their engine since a few of their games are pretty fun in concept. I love the idea of mass roleplaying games Based on roleplay that arn't dungeons and dragons or anything like that.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 11:55:18 pm »

I can make decent-quality sprites, I've made some for SS13 and Battleships Forever (the flamethrower and machineguns in those screenies).

Can we see the placeholder versions of images you want in the game? Or get a list? Really you should just post that publicly in the thread and let people make drive-by artistic contributions.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 12:06:59 am »

SS13 without Byond?  :D  Sure as hell am following THIS topic.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Catdaemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 04:22:45 am »

Well as this has gotten quite a few more replies than I expected I thought I'd better make an account and reply myself! :D

I've written my own engine from scratch. It's written in BlitzMax. It was originally C++, then D, but I found that this is probably the only language that lets me actually get what I want done in a reasonable amount of time and is fast and cross platform. It makes use of freeimage, opengl, lua (server-side scripting), enet (Base of the networking. A layer has been written on top for compressed udp and such) and a bunch of stuff custom built for it (such as a stand alone map editor and the lighting engine).

There is lua scripting on the server side, and most of the game logic will be written in it. This means the game experience can vary massively from server to server. I've started to document this here but it's going to take a great deal of time to write all the documentation so I'll probably do it upon request.

I'm not the only one working on this project - My good friend Spacerat has been of great assistance and wrote the map editor/tile engine. I have a couple people offering to do the lua but whether they will do or not is unknown as of yet.

btw. Will be the dialogues listed on a separate console like in ss13? Cause i always taught that it would be less distracting if the sentences spoken appear on screen next to characters which talked.

Not sure about that yet - I'll probably have little bubbles that pop in for in character and have the box for out of character chat. I've got quite a few lessons learned from running a garry's mod roleplay community for years to bring to this kind of decision and I'll be taking feedback anyway so fear not!

I've been rather inundated with offers of graphics - Thanks guys! We'll be in touch about that.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 06:45:17 am »

I made a decent mob set for Baystation 12 (if I say so myself >.< ). sadly I got horribly stuck in converting it into Icons for Byond,

I'll donate my PSD's with all the work in it if you're interested, Send me a PM with an email to throw them at and they're free to use. (an honourable mention would be nice ofcourse)

(This goes for the Baystation 12 crew aswell. ) (Sorry about never getting those ICON's ready for you, but Byond is just a little bit to unuser friendly =( and there is the ever present strugle with school :), send me a pm if you want to take a stab at making the icons yourself :) )

Warning, preview images inside.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 10:38:41 am »

Since the characters will be displayes top-down (as shown in the video) I don't know how useful those will be.

There has been talk of a 'paper doll' feature where mousing over somebody will displays a popup window that shows what they looks like with all their clothes and visible equipment. I'm still not sure if that's a possibility or not, or if that's even what's planned.

EDIT: I remember when we were trying to make a mining colony sort of thing work in SS13. Wouldn't it be cool to have something similar to that in this?

Catdaemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 12:13:07 pm »

Yeah, the sprites must be top-down sorry! Most likely we'll have a screen which pops up when you click on objects which shows you some information about them - In the case of a player it'll show their outfit and such things you cannot see from a top down perspective.

Multiple stations are already possible in this engine (the maps can be gigantic and contain empty space), as are moving stations (but that's rather more experimental and will happen later on:v).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4