Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Single Tube Magma Piston  (Read 2373 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Single Tube Magma Piston
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:23:26 am »

[edit]: Nevermind, that is what people already do. I somehow thought they used two tubes...

In the object testing arena, I noticed a strange quirk of physics:
#wall
~Magma
. Empty space (for top view)

Before (side view):
         #  <--Unsupported wall (about to cave in)
         #
         #

#  #
     #      #
     #      #
~~~#~#~~~
After (side View):

#~#  <-- The magma switches place with the wall falling onto it
     #  #  #
     #  #  #
~~~###~~~

Does this count as an exploit? (Or does it count as a bug for that matter?)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:25:44 am by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Single Tube Magma Piston
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:45:27 am »

This is the Magma Piston.  Good for moving magma up to your forge, but not good for burning traps as it has little to no reload.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »

It might be a bug, but certainly not an exploit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 04:01:23 pm »

It might be a bug, but certainly not an exploit.

No. A bug is a bizzare thing that makes no sense. An exploit can make no sense, but it's using DF's rudimentary physics in a way that's normally fine but that at times breaks away from reality.

This is an exploit.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 04:12:35 pm »

Bugs dont have to make no sense, theyre just unintentional programming flaws, whether they make sense or not is arbitrary.
I wouldn't say its an exploit, because it slightly makes sense, as in, if you drop a crapload of stone into a lake of anything, you will displace the liquid to a higher level. This kind of mimics that.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 04:21:24 pm »

No. A bug is a bizzare thing that makes no sense. An exploit can make no sense, but it's using DF's rudimentary physics in a way that's normally fine but that at times breaks away from reality.

This is an exploit.

I'm not convinced it's either.  It makes actual, physical sense.  Assuming the rock being dropped is more dense, using it as a piston to displace magma and cause it to rise up is fairly realistic.  If you dropped a rock into water, I'm sure that people understand that the water level would rise.  This is the same thing, but with magma.

In short, I'd call it a feature.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 04:50:32 pm »

This is an exploit.

I'm not convinced it's either.  It makes actual, physical sense.  Assuming the rock being dropped is more dense, using it as a piston to displace magma and cause it to rise up is fairly realistic.  If you dropped a rock into water, I'm sure that people understand that the water level would rise.  This is the same thing, but with magma.

In short, I'd call it a feature.

Yes, because when you drop a rock into shallow water, the water teleports to the top of the rock. >_>

I call it an exploit, not that it stops me from doing it myself.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 05:31:40 pm »

I think it's more like the Minecart Boosters in Minecraft.  Yeah, it's a strange and quirky event that the physics causes, but it's become so widely used and accepted that it's become a part of regular gameplay and is now a feature.  Sometimes these "bugs" are so useful and utilized that they become "features" and are intentionally un-fixed, because it becomes an important part of the game.