Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exchanging Waterskins?  (Read 1370 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Exchanging Waterskins?
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:50:47 am »

So, my addy-clad superdwarf is running around with a ☼Rhesus Macaque Leather Waterskin☼ which is all well and fine, but I'm thinking of making him and ☼Adamantine Flask☼ and ☼Elf Leather Waterskin☼ just for the value of it.  Sadly he refuses to handle other equipment.  If his current is forbidden and dumped, he'll stand around without one, until the original is given back to him.  He doesn't go grab another one, like he does with weapons and armor.  I'm almost wanting to atom-smash it, but if he NEVER grabs another one, then, that's not very useful.

Any suggestions?

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exchanging Waterskins?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:59:10 am »

Have you considered turning off Carry Any Drink for his squad in the military panel, and then turning it back on? Never tried this before, though.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:01:39 am »

Dump him in magma and it'll melt off... along with his skin,fat and muscles
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:27:07 am »

So, my addy-clad superdwarf is running around with a ☼Rhesus Macaque Leather Waterskin☼ which is all well and fine, but I'm thinking of making him and ☼Adamantine Flask☼ and ☼Elf Leather Waterskin☼ just for the value of it.  Sadly he refuses to handle other equipment.  If his current is forbidden and dumped, he'll stand around without one, until the original is given back to him.  He doesn't go grab another one, like he does with weapons and armor.  I'm almost wanting to atom-smash it, but if he NEVER grabs another one, then, that's not very useful.

Any suggestions?

If it's destroyed I bet he will pick up another one if told to carry liquid into the field.

lotopius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:32:12 am »

Forbid it maybe?
He should then drop it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:36:05 am »

READ my original post.  I did that.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:52:13 am »

erm, he does drop it so you should try atom smashing it, just savescum if it doesn't work.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:42:23 am »

I'm probably gonna try this after the next seasonal autosave.  Atom-Smash and see what happens.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:09:18 am »

Tested with backpack.  Atom smashed a masterpiece and the soldier grabbed a new backpack.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 09:16:32 am »

.... did the guy who made it tantrum and punch some llamas?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:44:07 am »

Sheep, actually, but yes.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 10:26:14 am »

It's squad equipment assignment. Back in the older days of DF2010 we were forced to reset the equipment assignments every now and then due to a (now fixed) bug. Basically, you need to disband and delete the squad that dwarf is in, then remake it. He'll grab everything anew, but he'll get the flask you want with forbid micro.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 10:55:34 am »

Yeah, seems the disband-remake will work best...  That's a shame, but at least I only need to do it once when I've got the desired equipment ready.  Now I can't decide, do I use an ☼Elf Leather Backpack☼ and ☼Elf Leather Waterskin☼ or elf backpack and metal flask of some type (he's decked in Addy, so perhaps an Addy flask...) or do I leave the backpack off so that he's only using Addy?  Then again, he's got Elf Leather cloak and hood as well...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 11:12:53 am »

I've typically resorted to trading the old flask to a caravan - in my case, the unwanted flasks are invariably green glass vials filled with golden salve.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 12:27:57 pm »

Yeah, seems the disband-remake will work best...  That's a shame, but at least I only need to do it once when I've got the desired equipment ready.  Now I can't decide, do I use an ☼Elf Leather Backpack☼ and ☼Elf Leather Waterskin☼ or elf backpack and metal flask of some type (he's decked in Addy, so perhaps an Addy flask...) or do I leave the backpack off so that he's only using Addy?  Then again, he's got Elf Leather cloak and hood as well...

Elf Skin > Demon Jizz