Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rocs are unaffected by cage traps, yet don't have TRAPAVOID.  (Read 4322 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Rocs are unaffected by cage traps, yet don't have TRAPAVOID.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 10:34:14 am »

Does the cage trap have a cage in it?
Heh.  Yes, I already checked that, there's a cage in the cage trap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 10:46:18 am »

Actually I have the same problem with GCS, I even edited the raws to make them spawn with populations of 50 in any non-frozen surface biome and yet I haven't seen one in legends, adventurer,
or fortress mode. Removed the ambush predator tag and they still never popped up anywhere, I also
extended their natural life span incase they just weren't breeding and that didn't seem to be the case
either. I know they work just fine since I use them in object testing with no problems. Could it be a world
generation bug? I've personally never seen a GCS go around and make webs with no enemies to shoot them at so maybe the webs people encounter in caverns are just made by the world generator?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 10:51:21 am »

Does being there at embark cause them to not set off traps?  And if so, shouldn't cave-in dust knock them out and cause them to trigger a trap?

Both correct. "Current Residents" are immune to traps. This fact has caused may people much pain.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 10:52:54 am »

GCS don't drop silk, they shoot them.  Unlike cave spiders, who will just drop webs while wandering, GCS will only web when they have prey.  So, if you see webs on the ground, then there's been a GCS there shoot webs at someone else.  They have a [FREQUENCY:5] though, so they appear very rarely unless you change this.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 03:50:01 pm »

GCS don't drop silk, they shoot them.  Unlike cave spiders, who will just drop webs while wandering, GCS will only web when they have prey.  So, if you see webs on the ground, then there's been a GCS there shoot webs at someone else.  They have a [FREQUENCY:5] though, so they appear very rarely unless you change this.

I thought it was possible for GCS webs to exist in the caverns on their own, with no actual GCS on the map?  But maybe I was misinformed or that applies to an old version.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 03:52:23 pm »

I thought it was possible for GCS webs to exist in the caverns on their own, with no actual GCS on the map?  But maybe I was misinformed or that applies to an old version.

I think you are correct.  I have embarked on sites and checked the stocks as soon as I was able (within the first year) and found hundreds of units of giant cave spider silk littering the caverns.  I suspect GCS silk can be created already occurring in the caverns when you embark, with no GCS needed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 06:45:22 pm »

I can confirm the appearance of Giant Cave Spiders in vanilla 31.19 fortress mode. I've seen one of them only once so far since the release of this version, though.
Pages: 1 [2]