Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idea for a Challenge (let me know how it goes)  (Read 2697 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Idea for a Challenge (let me know how it goes)
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »

You cannot embark with a miner or a pick, and you cannot purchase a pick from caravans. EDIT: You must also forbid and/or destroy all picks immigrants arrive with. Maybe kill the offenders, too.

Notes:
This means no stone or metal that you don't trade for, and that trading with elves is harder. Embark on a forest and don't bother with underground seeds. Military is important, and you might consider finding a cave.

And if anyone tries this challenge, let me know please.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:33:00 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for a Challenge (let me know how it goes)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:27:47 pm »

buy magma proof stone
build wood furnace
burn wood
build smelter
buy metal item
melt
smelt into bar
build blacksmith forge
? ? ?
PROFIT!
LOSING IS FUN!

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:56:50 pm »

This is basically the aboveground challenge, and trading with elves should always involve offering them wood products followed by seizing what you want. If they even make it to the depot.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:59:30 pm »

There was Wooddipped in the succession games a little while ago who played this way with a modded elf society. They got murdered by invasions due to lacking any real weaponry.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:09:26 pm »

immigrant miners do bring picks with them.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:24:25 pm »

Whatever happened to the kobold mod?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 10:53:39 pm »

There was Wooddipped in the succession games a little while ago who played this way with a modded elf society. They got murdered by invasions due to lacking any real weaponry.
Can you point me to that thread? I have elves playable in my mod and I'd be interested in seeing problems with them.

As for the challenge, I'm playing as overhauled elves as in my IM mod. They have no access to picks nor axe nor stonework jobs nor engineering jobs nor smithy jobs. Actually they can get picks or axes but human/dwarven caravans arrive at year 3 or so and I'm playing with FD mod so I still need to survive some sieges. So far, the only things that save them from being wiped out are the animals and powerful (wooden) arrows.

Spoiler: elf fort (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:17:42 pm »

that's a frigging hord of animals!
sorta like once i read from legend, there were over 40k cats in one elven civilisation, with only about 2k elves.
i can imagine when they have their decadal celebration, there is gonna be a 5000 metre long parade consist only cats.
and each elven warrior is assorted with a dozen cats.
i never ever wanted to fight those FPS killers.

alright the challenge.
i always do aboveground obsidian fort.
basically casting obsidian forts.
though i tend to make the project more grandiose over time, i've been practised
my last fort is about 40X60X30 above ground. it took 6 years to hollow out the mountain slope, and three years to actually get all that amount of magma into place, w/o volcano.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 04:11:22 am »

What do people think about a Dwarf succession fort where:

- Caverns and below are disabled, so no underground plants, creatures, magma, or HFS.
- Mining is allowed, but the above limitations mean that surface farms and surface grazing animals become very important for survival.
- Due to the reduced z-levels, the fort's map area is 6x6 with decent FPS.
- The embark should be in a forest, because tree harvesting will drive the fort's economy, especially metalworking, unless you get coal.
- Ideally this would be a 31.20 fort.
- The overall fort goal could be the construction of a surface city with castle. The theme could be that the Dwarves are exiles from the mountainhomes. This is not an elfy fort, because you are defacing the surface landscape.

-[optional] Elves modded to be perma-hostile rather than traders. They would be rather angry about the dwarves harvesting their forest for the forges.
-[optional] A new noble position, Priest, can be assigned. This position replaces the "meet/console workers" function of the mayor or expedition leader. This dwarf should also require an office "temple".

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 07:33:06 am »

immigrant miners do bring picks with them.
...That will complicate things...

What do people think about a Dwarf succession fort where:
Stuff
Cool! One thing:

Did Toady just release another update, and if so, what's in it that makes it more ideal than, say, 31.18?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 07:47:43 am »

Did Toady just release another update, and if so, what's in it that makes it more ideal than, say, 31.18?
Ideally it'd be like .19 without all the bugs. Most notable are grazing, vermin biting & creatures spawn chance, all of which I already have plans for.

And if you dont like picks just dont use them.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:20:05 am »

I have done an above ground fortress in a jungle. I basically lived off hunters. They hunted down elephants and I produced roasts from the meat and bolts from the bones. I didn't need any other industry. I used most of the wood to build a base, with the rest used to make furniture, crossbows and glass coffins. I would buy any armor and weaponry from the dwarf caravans, as well as all the metals, stones and bricks. I didn't really have any trouble fighting off the goblins, though I got bored of the fortress before the sieges got too difficult.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:28:38 am »

I have done an above ground fortress in a jungle. I basically lived off hunters. They hunted down elephants and I produced roasts from the meat and bolts from the bones. I didn't need any other industry. I used most of the wood to build a base, with the rest used to make furniture, crossbows and glass coffins. I would buy any armor and weaponry from the dwarf caravans, as well as all the metals, stones and bricks. I didn't really have any trouble fighting off the goblins, though I got bored of the fortress before the sieges got too difficult.
Sieges wont get any more difficult. In vanilla settings, the combination of OP crossbows and bad armor placement mean you should be able to survive until a bronze colossus or an inorganic FB come.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 09:02:39 am »

I did this (before flying sieges) on a desert volcano (they didn't always make mountains around them in those days) that was on the same Z level as the sand. I then made my fort entirely from glass (with glass trap comps in mechanisms made from imported stone)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 11:32:28 am »

It should be noted that currently raw clay can be used for construction. I think it will be fixed in .20 but it's something to keep in mind.
Pages: [1] 2