Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Modding Q&A, Balancing, Recouces, etc  (Read 9558 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Modding Q&A, Balancing, Recouces, etc
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 11:56:40 pm »

You can look at my games for bad examples.
lol
i've balanced (with the help of Webadict and Mephansteras) thanks
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 01:21:59 am »

Modding isn't too hard as long as you stay realistic with your goals.

Balancing is impossible, however.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 12:24:42 pm »

The only perfectly balanced game I've ever seen was a bastard one with all SKs.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 12:25:52 pm »

The one where the nights were private lynches that the players didn't know were lynches?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 12:28:07 pm »

That's one version.  The other version where almost everyone is dead by day 2 is also good.

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
  • "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 02:53:12 pm »

Well if it is impossible for a game to be balanced then what game type favours which side?
Draze McNoble Demands bacon flavored bacon...Made of bacon.

He puts an embargo on all waffle based goods

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 03:09:42 pm »

Which it's technically impossible for most games to be truly balanced, you CAN balance things so that both sides have a decent shot at victory.

Generally, anything that increases the number of kills per day helps the scum more since the game can get to lylo quicker. Anything that reduces kills AND provides information helps the town out.

Mostly it's a question of looking at the powers available per side and figuring out best/worst case scenarios.

For example, a town that has both a doctor and a cap vs a scum team with only a single role-blocker has an advantage. But it's not a huge advantage, since the scum will never block scum while the town might end up protecting scum with the doctor.

Basically, assume that most of the time town is going to 'miss' with their powers. A town role-blocker will block another town role instead of scum, doctor will protect the wrong person, and so on. So the town should have an overall higher number of power roles than the scum since the scum both know who they all are and can co-ordinate their actions.

Rule of thumb I use is that scum powers are worth two town powers. Anything that gets scum an extra kill is worth 3 or 4 town powers, depending on the powers in question.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 03:12:15 pm »

how do you think the clean-up crew in my dwarven mafia is? personally I think that not knowing the alignment/job of the NK'd is a serious advantage.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 03:22:11 pm »

how do you think the clean-up crew in my dwarven mafia is? personally I think that not knowing the alignment/job of the NK'd is a serious advantage.

This is actually a perfect example of where a role needs to be both well thought out and explained clearly. It sounds simple - they have a one-shot power to remove the corpse of who was NK'd so they don't flip. But that doesn't answer lots of questions about what happens.

What if more then 1 NK happens in a night? Say the Hammerer kills an Elf and the Elves kill the Sheriff. Which corpse gets hidden? One or both? If only one, do the elves get to pick?

Do they learn who they killed, or is that information lost for everyone?

Do they have to decide to use that power before or after they know how many kills happened? What happens if no kills happen that night? Is their ability used up or do they get another shot later? What if the clean-up crew gets blocked? Is the power used up then?

The answers to those questions all greatly effect how powerful the role is and you need to know the answers to all of those questions before the game starts if possible. Otherwise you're stuck making rules decisions in the middle of the game and that can end up giving an unfair advantage to one side or the other.

Depending on how you set it up it can be an incredibly powerful ability or just a mildly useful one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 03:26:37 pm »

Expanding on that, you need to have a clear-cut idea of how the various roles interact with each other before the game begins, so you can handle the odd edge cases, especially with things like multiple roleblockers and redirectors.

Couple of examples:

Say you have two roleblockers, A and B, and a cop, C.  A blocks B.  B blocks C.  Is B blocked before or after they block C?

Say you have a mafia A, a vig B, and a townie C.  A kills C.  B kills A.  Does A die before he kills C?

An order of operations for actions is a good thing to have.  Meph has one in his Paranormal games that's a good place to start.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 03:39:34 pm »

Specifically it is:

Mind Control
    Pure Role-blockers
    Abductors
    Protectors
    Investigators
    Night Kills/Conversions (The War Vet (or equivalent) is sort of an exception, in that he'll kill anyone who targets them on THEIR turn, rather than his)

Mind Control gets to direct what action another player takes that night. (Which could be do nothing)
Roleblockers stop another player from performing an action. In Paranormal, Roleblockers block another role-blocker before any other role-blocks take effect.
Abductors remove a player from the game temporarily (or permanently). An abducted player therefore cannot be protected, investigated, or killed.
Protectors stop night kills
Investigators gain knowledge about a target
Night Kills and Faction Conversions happen last, unless it's a reactionary effect.

This isn't the only way you could set thing up, of course, but I find that it works pretty well for that game. More importantly, these rules are set out so that everyone knows what is going on and can plan accordingly.

Making plans only to discover after the fact that they failed because you didn't know a rule that wasn't written anywhere tends to make people rather upset. Unless you're running a Bastard Game, you want your players to know everything they're going to have to know to play. Some information may need to be sent with a role PM if it's information the rest of the players shouldn't know, but in general everyone has more fun when they don't get blindsided by unexpected rules.

The challenge is mafia is generally outsmarting the other players, not worrying about being outsmarted by the mod or the rules.
Come play Mafia with us!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 03:47:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In bold in the spoiler.
I am now getting a nagging feeling...
Can everyone please ask all the questions they can think of for the rules so that I can answer them and avoid confusion/last minute decisions?

@Toaster the Ninja:
In my DM the elves kill near midnight while the hammerer kills a bit later. The mechanic does it before midnight, hunters/ambushers/doc/sheriff all night, spy/cleanup crew/recruiter before hammerer.
The sheriff gets body info at night (investigating someone who was NK'd).
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 04:01:54 pm »

In that case, you have a moderately powerful role. It removes role information from the town and gives the scum a slight advantage, but it's not likely to be game changing. After all, any covered up kill is going to have been done by the Elves so the town can just assume that they lost a dwarf.

Come play Mafia with us!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 04:09:03 pm »

Just for reference WWYDT is PROBABLY going to be a horrendously swingy game with a win by [SPOILER REDACTED] so don't look at it to see how to balance things.

I honestly realized last night before sending PMs that there was a MEEP that interacted with another MEEP that I hadn't MEEP MEEP within the normal MEEP and had to alter a bunch of MEEP <_<
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 04:13:34 pm »

I'm pretty much available to co-mod for anyone that needs it. I've worked with Meph on two or three flavor- and role-heavy games and I've got some experience under my belt, if anyone needs it.

If not, then I'd like a few experienced mods to bounce some ideas and balancing suggestions off of when I get more time to work on making a game.
Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5