Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Modding Q&A, Balancing, Recouces, etc  (Read 9553 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
[DISCUSSION] Modding Q&A, Balancing, Recouces, etc
« on: March 03, 2011, 05:21:58 pm »

We have a number of threads that do a lot of playing Mafia games, but we don't have any about how to run a game successfully. With the influx of excited new mods lately, I figured this would be a useful thread to have.

I'll keep the OP updated as we add stuff.

General Suggestions
  • Remember that the goal is for all players to have fun. All major sides (town & scum) should have an even chance of victory.
  • Before starting a game run through a few simulated trial runs. Make generally guesses on what people would do and see if you can find loopholes or ways to break the game.
  • Avoid creating confirmed townsfolk as much as possible. This is especially true if you allow PMs between all players.
  • If this is your first time modding, keep things as simple as possible. The more complex things are the higher the chance that the set-up is broken
  • Make sure all of your rules and role information are as clear as possible. Just because you understand what it means doesn't mean your players will
  • A good mod keeps close track of his game. Answer questions in a timely manner and post vote counts at least daily (preferably several times a day)
  • Be Objective. Do not use the game to get back at another player and don't do anything that gives someone an advantage just because you feel like it.

Resources
Mafia Game Template - This is a google docs spreadsheet for running games. This is just a template, so make sure you copy it instead of using the template directly.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:37:44 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
  • "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Modding Q&A, Balancing, Recouces, etc
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 05:41:02 pm »

Welp Ima going to ask the first question I guess...

What is a good kind of game to start you first modding with?
A vanilla game perhaps?
Draze McNoble Demands bacon flavored bacon...Made of bacon.

He puts an embargo on all waffle based goods

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 05:47:30 pm »

Yeah, a Vanilla game is probably best. You can add a theme to it, but you want to keep to the standard roles and most players should be plain townsfolk or mafia.

You should also probably start with a fairly small game. 9-12 players is good. The game goes fairly quickly and it's not too hard for you to keep up with.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:11:55 pm »

Welp Ima going to ask the first question I guess...

What is a good kind of game to start you first modding with?
A vanilla game perhaps?
Depends on your level of comfort, really. Do you think you can mod something extremely crazy? I have some co-modding opportunities if you want something that is insane as a test.

And mine is extremely insane. But, it'll definitely get you some experience with some far-out stuff. And if you're into RP stuff, then I do have my somewhat-unfinished KWN that needs a co-mod (Preferably 2) in order for me to live.

Sure, you could stick with vanilla, and it's not nearly as difficult, but role-crazy isn't that much harder. In fact, it's the amount of flavor or RP you put into a game that is the most difficult. I can put together roles and actions in a snap (Like writing up actions for BYOR, which takes about half an hour if I'm being quick), but the flavor takes forever.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:14:39 pm »

And mine is extremely insane. But, it'll definitely get you some experience with some far-out stuff. And if you're into RP stuff, then I do have my somewhat-unfinished KWN that needs a co-mod (Preferably 2) in order for me to live.
How can you do that if you're the mod? oO

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:15:47 pm »

How can you do that if you're the mod? oO
Oh, wouldn't you like to know...

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 07:17:07 pm »

Oh well Making flavor is probably what drew me to mafia in the first place :D

I'd love to co-mod with you,just pm me when ever you start and I'll start making the flavor as soon as possible...

What is KWN?

Knights,Wombats, and Ninjas?

and does the co-mod have to have his soul drained to do the job of co-modding?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:18:03 pm »

Oh well Making flavor is probably what drew me to mafia in the first place :D

I'd love to co-mod with you,just pm me when ever you start and I'll start making the flavor as soon as possible...

What is KWN?

Knights,Wombats, and Ninjas?

and does the co-mod have to have his soul drained to do the job of co-modding?
Yeah, if you want to do flavor, I've got no problem.

And KWN = Kill Webadict Now

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 07:18:37 pm »

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »

HAHAHa A bastard mod?

sounds fun, You can count on me for making a flavor for that...would you mind Pming me a list of guidelines to go by when writing the flavor?
Like:
Genre,
formatting,
info given,
ect...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 07:25:17 pm »

Bacon flavor? I like that even though I don't like the stuff itself.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 07:28:47 pm »

Sure, you could stick with vanilla, and it's not nearly as difficult, but role-crazy isn't that much harder. In fact, it's the amount of flavor or RP you put into a game that is the most difficult. I can put together roles and actions in a snap (Like writing up actions for BYOR, which takes about half an hour if I'm being quick), but the flavor takes forever.

For a new Mod, I'd argue that a role-heavy game is a lot harder. Not because of the time, but because it's very easy to unbalance a game. A few roles are easy to balance, a lot of roles requires a bit more thought. Experience helps greatly with this, which is why I suggested a simple fairly role-light set-up.

Obviously if you're co-modding with someone more experienced then that changes.
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 07:32:17 pm »

HAHAHa A bastard mod?

sounds fun, You can count on me for making a flavor for that...would you mind Pming me a list of guidelines to go by when writing the flavor?
Like:
Genre,
formatting,
info given,
ect...
I would tell you exactly what I would need. I'd also check it, too, making adjustments before posting or sending.

The KWN is a tough flavor one.

For a new Mod, I'd argue that a role-heavy game is a lot harder. Not because of the time, but because it's very easy to unbalance a game. A few roles are easy to balance, a lot of roles requires a bit more thought. Experience helps greatly with this, which is why I suggested a simple fairly role-light set-up.

Obviously if you're co-modding with someone more experienced then that changes.
It's not the balancing issues that would be tough here. He can always have someone check it first. I'm talking about straight modding that would not be difficult.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »

Running a Beginner's Mafia game first to get an idea of the effort required is a good first start.  The setup is predetermined and it's a small game.  Just keep in mind that the goal of that game (besides having fun) is to teach players how to play.  To keep them interested, the modding experience needs to be good.

You probably shouldn't mod if you can't check the game at least twice a (RL) day to at least answer questions, if not do a vote count.  Vote counts are minimum daily.  Ideally, you'd have a time each day you could spend enough time to process day/night ends and use that as standard.  For example, all my deadline games process day/night end at 11 PM EST, when everything I need to do for the day is done.  I almost always have time then.

On the other hand, it's OK if you need to mod-extend a day or night by a few hours or an RL day- just be sure to give your players notice if at all possible.

I will echo the call to be impartial.  Don't accidentally give away hints either in thread or scum chat.

If it's your first game with a setup designed by you, it's a good idea to get an experienced mod to look over your game for any balance issues.  Mephansteras has modded a great many games and will probably look over your game if you ask him nicely.  (/props)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 11:44:44 pm »

You can look at my games for bad examples.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5