Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer's home  (Read 931 times)

Darkren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventurer's home
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:44:34 pm »

So, I'm considering using Fortress mode to make a home for my adventurer(s). Unfortunately for flavor's sake, it would be called a "Fortress" in adventure mode, but nevertheless. Using "Embark Anywhere" or "Just Embark" (or whichever works in the current version) I could make an appropriate 1x1, which would likely give me enough room to work with.

Now, the problem is inspiration - or utility. Why - besides for flavor, or in honor of my adventurer(s), or aesthetics - would I build a home? Would it have any usefulness whatsoever besides a safe place to rest? Unlike vanilla-generated towns, I could have any constructed object I wanted, but would any of them be useful? Can I store things in chests or on weapon racks (and will they still be there if I left)? Any other ideas for potential usefulness?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer's home
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »

About the only advantage to homes right now is there is zero item decay inside them. I *think* reclaimed fortresses operate under teh same rules as monster lairs...Toady made it so nothing decays there, so the player would find loot when they eventually visited those places.

So other than loading up the fort with loot for your adventurer to claim....homes serve almost no game play purpose right now, unless you dropped a fort in the exact center of where you'll do all your adventuring.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer's home
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:53:11 am »

Nano fort still works for .19 Darius just posted the fix for his site changer and site changer flags for Dfusion.
first find a lair clean it of it's original host retire come back embark 1x1 using the nanofort next to the site not on top items will scatter if you embark over the lair. once you do go into Dfusion go under site changer and Type out the forts name or easier input the second to last number in since it's the last site loaded in(if you done the Forts name correctly you would have seen that). next change the site Hamlet then abandon. when you unretire the spot that had the fort would now be converted to a resting spot.
the next thing should be moving in the adventurer using embark site map to place down sites around the area with out covering over the lair.
then you should have a adventure home for extra customizing use tweak's tile editor during Adventure mode and carve and wall up sections of the area build underground tunnels to your hamlet, resting spot, lair, and Reclaim fortress for interconnecting the whole base. Having a Abandon fort 1x1 tile could be used in Trading goods from long distances or picking up items from surrounding Civs.
Though keeping tame creatures might be a problem so I guess removing the tame tag and hope for the best that they don't go Mauling the dwarfs.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes