Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population Cap  (Read 1670 times)

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population Cap
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:25:34 pm »

Simple question.  My population is well above the cap - mine is the default, 200, while my population is 215, and has been over 220, but dwarves keep getting born anyway. 

Does population cap not cap the population...? 

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Population Cap
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:28:42 pm »

Population cap only controls immigration, not births.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 04:29:36 pm »

There's a different setting for birth limitation. The default setting is really a no-limit.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:45:38 pm »

Population cap only controls immigration, not births.
Doesn't it only determine when you stop getting immigrants? I'm fairly certain I've fallen to 199 dwarves once and then got a migration of 20 more. In fact, I am certain that happened once, in .31.12 though. Can't say if it's any different now.

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:32:03 pm »

It's my understanding that the population cap is a hard cap on the number of adults your fort can have.  And once you reach that point births and migrants both stop.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:34:34 pm »

I've heard that once you hit the cap you can still get any migrations that have been triggered anyway, also the first 2 (or 3?) waves should come anyway even if your cap is very low.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:36:37 pm »

I've heard that once you hit the cap you can still get any migrations that have been triggered anyway this only occur when the migrants are coming into your fort as they are all spawned at the same time and only get in one at a time., also the first 2 (or 3?) waves should come anyway even if your cap is very low. This is true, the first 2 waves are hard coded.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:59:04 pm »

For my population to get as high as it got, it had to be immigrants pushing it over, I didn't have 15 births since then.

I wonder if the births I have now are only the result of old pregnancies?

One of my goals was to have a population-self-sufficient fort, so I hope it can still get births, but not immigrants.  Is there an init setting to make that possible?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 12:01:39 am »

Yes,I've had my current fort with a population cap of 30 regularly hit 60....I think it's because the first migration waves are fixed.  Regardless, if you are lower than your cap you can easily exceed it by twenty or thirty all other things equal.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 12:09:48 am »

You can always erm... export your unneeded dwarves, draft them and send them to explore the caverns, ignore any messages about deaths or combat they're just fooling around while taking the scenic route back to the !!mountainhomes!!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 08:40:30 am »

It's my understanding that the population cap is a hard cap on the number of adults your fort can have.  And once you reach that point births and migrants both stop.
Please don't spread false information.

In my current fort, the pop cap is set to 50. The last migrant wave I got, at year 2 or something, increased my pop from something like 40 to 60. Now my fort reached 12-13 years old, with 113 pop and about half of them babies/children. I still have births from time to time, there's 6 couples with up to 13 kids each. This is very exciting, because kids are starting to become peasants and FINALLY WORK! Or party, since each child is friend or acquaintance with every other child and many adults, and has social skills at professionnal level.

Look into the d_init.txt file. There's the population cap :
You can set the maximum population of your fortress here.  Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features.

[POPULATION_CAP:50]
Note that the comment isn't true anymore, a king needs 140 population.

And there's the birth cap :
This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:2000]

Also, this is with v.31.18
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:52:07 am »

Ahh, Marthnn, that makes a lot more sense... and is what I'm shooting for.

BTW, speaking of required pop, how do I get a dungeon master?  I have a Duke noble, but no dungeon master or hammerer... is there something I'm missing or messed up?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:53:37 am »

Dungeon master is broken in the current version :(

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 01:28:12 am »

If you change POPULATION_CAP and BABY_CHILD_CAP mid-game, does it take effect the next time you load your save file (and/or restart DF)?

Or does that only apply to future fortresses?

(Trying to set my magic numbers to stay closer to a top-end population of 150 dwarves, give or take.)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 01:30:43 am »

It takes effect the next time you start DF.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!