Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck Siege/ambushes  (Read 969 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Stuck Siege/ambushes
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:41 pm »

I keep having a problem where enemies who are sieging/ambushing get 'stuck' and just stand around without retreating or advancing. Even if there is a clear path open to them, they just stand around. This usually only happens if their leader dies by being thrown into a magma pit, but recently an ambush of magma-proof enemies have entered my magma moat and are just sitting around in there.
Is there a way to stop this from happening other than trapping every inch of my entrance way or managing to get my marksdwarf to do something?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck Siege/ambushes
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:39:19 pm »

Get an army?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:40:33 pm »

Throw some of your cats off the wall at them?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:51:23 pm »

I never got around to making a danger room, so I technically have an army, but they are wimpy.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 03:01:33 pm »

If you have any prisoners or wild animals around, strip the prisoners of their weapons, put them into a pit, put your guys in there with some training weapons, and sell some tickets.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 03:11:41 pm »

i remember if an entity has [SIEGER], any siege party it sends would wait a couple of months

but generally in my experience, any of them just wait for a little while or longer, until actually move to my fort.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 03:39:04 pm »

I keep having a problem where enemies who are sieging/ambushing get 'stuck' and just stand around without retreating or advancing. Even if there is a clear path open to them, they just stand around. This usually only happens if their leader dies by being thrown into a magma pit, but recently an ambush of magma-proof enemies have entered my magma moat and are just sitting around in there.
Is there a way to stop this from happening other than trapping every inch of my entrance way or managing to get my marksdwarf to do something?

If you trap or kill the leader of their party (generally, whichever guy is "elite"), they stand around his corpse until they see a dwarf or animal to kill.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 03:48:44 pm »

i remember if an entity has [SIEGER], any siege party it sends would wait a couple of months

but generally in my experience, any of them just wait for a little while or longer, until actually move to my fort.

A [SIEGER] force is more dangerous in that they all attack at once, rather than rushing madly at your fortress. They will group up and camp out for a few months, then all rush you at the same time, together.

Goblins are not organized in that they just attack things at random, with no organization. They do not group up, aside from members of a squad staying together.

With a siege even the squads stay together resulting in a much more concentrated force.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 11:21:16 pm »

Sorta looking for a solution for my fort as well.

Apparently the goblin leader fell to his death off of my 1-tile wide bridge of doom, the rest of the goblins then went down the side stairs and are now hanging around is corpse at the bottom of the pit.  In hindsight, I should have locked that set of stairs.

Now the 5 of them are content to chill at the bottom of the pit, instead of coming up and harassing my dwarves at the top of the pit.  Worse, they're still close enough that my dwarves get scared.  Which means I'm stuck a bit, unless I figure out a way to flush them out (no military yet that can take on 5 goblins).  Even though all the bridges are open into the main fort, they're still sitting down below.

I need a way to draw them up and out and onto the bridge of doom.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 11:44:46 pm »

A [SIEGER] force is more dangerous in that they all attack at once, rather than rushing madly at your fortress. They will group up and camp out for a few months, then all rush you at the same time, together.

Goblins are not organized in that they just attack things at random, with no organization. They do not group up, aside from members of a squad staying together.

With a siege even the squads stay together resulting in a much more concentrated force.
conter that with ballistae batteries!

well sieging armies are not really a huge problem, not until they bring siege engines that damage constructions.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 11:49:27 pm »

Sorta looking for a solution for my fort as well.

Apparently the goblin leader fell to his death off of my 1-tile wide bridge of doom, the rest of the goblins then went down the side stairs and are now hanging around is corpse at the bottom of the pit.  In hindsight, I should have locked that set of stairs.

Now the 5 of them are content to chill at the bottom of the pit, instead of coming up and harassing my dwarves at the top of the pit.  Worse, they're still close enough that my dwarves get scared.  Which means I'm stuck a bit, unless I figure out a way to flush them out (no military yet that can take on 5 goblins).  Even though all the bridges are open into the main fort, they're still sitting down below.

I need a way to draw them up and out and onto the bridge of doom.

As said above, they won't step far from his dead leader body. You can throw water or magma and try to kill them. See if they like being around the boss when they are melting.

magma-proof enemies have entered my magma moat and are just sitting around in there.

I know that there are some enemy's, like magma man and the clowns, that are magma proof, but I wonder, what's this magma proof enemy laying siege to you?

Tessien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 12:26:34 am »

Magma proof enemies will be from a mod.

On  another note, I haven't been able to get sieges/ambushes to show up with anything like the frequency I encountered in earlier versions, has anyone else noticed this?

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 12:47:30 am »

Magma proof enemies will be from a mod.

On  another note, I haven't been able to get sieges/ambushes to show up with anything like the frequency I encountered in earlier versions, has anyone else noticed this?

noticed it. Took 2 years to the first siege to show, which contained 15 goblins. didn't got a single ambush until now. No signs of kobolds. As far as I know, maybe it's because I'm in the year 460 and they starved to death or are with few numbers. .19 Had a problem with this stuff.