Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New player, questions  (Read 1238 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New player, questions
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:09:51 pm »

I have a couple of questions, which I have yet to find answers to. Both about building towers.

1) If I cast Obsidian, and use a wooden frame, filling it with water first, then Magma, will the frame burn? It shouldn't but it's one of the things it's better to ask about before wasting wood.

2)Can I suspend a bridge in the air from a building? The idea is to build an outside access arond the tower, using ramps to ascend and descend, and bridges which retract, or raise against the building to prevent anything from getting up there?

The idea is to allow my Dwarves a way out, and allow the bridges to cover the tower and prevent fliers from getting in, while leaving archers free to shoot out the fortifications.

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New player, questions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:15:09 pm »

1. No. Assuming you're building walls to keep the water in, magma can't burn it, since constructions do not get checked for temperature.

2. Yes, so long as the side of a bridge is touching a construction or the ground, you can suspend it. Note that you cannot support a bridge with another bridge, even if the game thinks you can.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:26:07 pm »

Constructions (walls, floors, stairs, ramps, fortifications... Everything built with b>C) are always indestructible, no matter the material. It's perfectly reasonable to build a fortress entirely out of ice on a map that has warm summers.

If you want the bridges turn into walls when lifted (which you need to happen to stop flyers), you use a drawbridge. Retracting ones just disappear. One side of a drawbridge needs to be on a solid ground (i.e. the edge that will turn into a wall), otherwise it can just hang over nothing. The game is pretty self-explanatory about how you can build them IMO.

The only thing to mind is that bridges do not support other buildings although dwarves will think they do - except other bridges (which will deconstruct if the other, supporting bridge is lifted/retracted).
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:00:33 pm »

Keep in mind there is a bug.  Certain buildings check for support, but others don't.  You can build a wall, and atop this wall build certain things, and then deconstruct the wall, leaving the building hanging.  Beds, cages, and bridges will float, among other things.  So, it's not practical, but it is possible to float a series of bridges away from your fort, and raise the bridges to create sudden walls in mid-air.  The amount of mechanisms and architecture to pull this off is unreliable.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:35:23 am »

1) That's what I was hoping for. Won't help my current fort, because I have stone coming out my ears, but it'll be easier when I embark in forests.

2)So, I can build it like so:

Code: [Select]
WWWW
BBBR

Or like so:

FFFF
BBBR

W=Wall
F=Floor
B=Bridge
R=Ramp

Additional question: I can build a ramp from one level to the next even if it's supported by a wall beside it? The reason I ask is because corners are stumping me. Or would I buld the ramp in the middle of the wall, hang the bridge off that over the side, and then a ramp around the corner?

I suspect I'll have to draw it out for you.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:41:34 am »

Ramps only work when they are adjacent to a wall.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:45:11 am »

Hm... could I build a ramp on the edge, then a floor, then another ramp against the wall around the corner?

WFB
FWR
BRF

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:59:33 am »

1) That's what I was hoping for. Won't help my current fort, because I have stone coming out my ears, but it'll be easier when I embark in forests.

2)So, I can build it like so:

WWWW
BBBR

Or like so:

FFFF
BBBR

W=Wall
F=Floor
B=Bridge
R=Ramp
Only with retracting bridges. Drawbridges are built like this:
EEEEW
BBBBR

E = Bridge + Floor
B = Bridge + Open space (i.e. hangs over nothing)
W = Wall
R = Ramp

(When bridge raises ^), (E and B are the same bridge), (E will become a wall when bridge is raised)

Additional question: I can build a ramp from one level to the next even if it's supported by a wall beside it? The reason I ask is because corners are stumping me. Or would I buld the ramp in the middle of the wall, hang the bridge off that over the side, and then a ramp around the corner?

I suspect I'll have to draw it out for you.
You NEED a wall next to a ramp if you want it to actually be usable.

If you build it like this:
(z1)
   W
^  W
   W

(z2)
 FFF
vFFF
 FFF

F = Floor
W = Wall
^ = Ramp up
v = Ramp down
...Then the second floor (z2) won't be accessible from that ramp. A wall needs to be added to on the first floor (z1):

(z1)
   W
^W W
   W
...Like so. Now z2 is accessible from the ramp tile.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:12:10 am by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 12:58:53 pm »

Hm... now I'm more confused than I was. So to do it, I'd have to build the tower, then remove the walls where I wanted to place bridges? I can't just hang it off an existing wall then?

Ramps: Yeah, that's what I meant. So it should look like:

z=1
WWWR
WWWB
^BBW

RBBW
WWW^

And then can I support a wall with a Ramp?

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 02:06:37 pm »

Retracting bridges can hang on the side of a wall, drawbridges need to be anchored on a floor. I.e. it needs to be built at least partially on a floor/ground.

To puts ramps simple, they can be used to climb on top of any wall adjacent to them. If I'm look at that blueprint right, it might not work.

What you're trying is like this, right?:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would test it before building anything larger. According to wiki it will not however work. A space above an adjacent wall needs to be open.

And since I opened paint, here's how a drawbridge works:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The dotted area being the part that becomes a wall when the bridge is lifted.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 03:55:03 pm »

Close, except there's a block between the ramp and the next floor. I know we have diagonal movement, but that makes me feel better.

So what I could have is this:

^WWF
WbbB

b=retracting bridge.
^=open space from ascending ramp

So that you come up the ramp onto a wall suspended off the ramp, then turn and go across a retracting bridge, and across a drawbridge, either into the tower structure, or on up another ramp. Would that work?

Of course, if can turn a wall into an up/down stairs.