Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Urist McEngraver has engraved a masterpiece!  (Read 3394 times)

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McEngraver has engraved a masterpiece!
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:52:54 am »

I think we have an autistic dwarf here.

He makes a masterpiece ingraving in about 10 seconds, but it is always the same engraving of one dorf striking down a goblin. There's 7 of this image in one room.

I get that he's really good at making this picture, but does each one count as a masterpiece if there's not creativity involved?

Or should I think about this as a giant seven panel engraving of one epic battle?
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McEngraver has engraved a masterpiece!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:07:42 am »

Seriously...This is way much better than those random masterful engravings of cheese, plump helmets and all that.;)

And...Maybe he has a friend in your military? Or worships the dwarf in question?
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:08:25 am »

Engravings generally tell the history of the fort, so if a dwarf has seen lots of goblins being killed he might carve that a lot. If you ere to view the engravings in adventure mode you'd probably find that it refers to lots of different dwarves and lots of different goblins, often in different battles.
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:10:06 am »

No, that's the thing, we were looking at all the engravings he made that are masterpieces. Each one is the same dwarf striking down the same goblin in the same day. I am confuse.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:11:59 am »

I vote on the 8-page epic.  Probably detailing different hits or different interpretations of the battle.  One has the dwarf towering over the cowering goblin and bringing the spear down.  Another shows the desperate dwarf knocked down, and raising his spear as the goblin attacks, impaling himself oh his spear.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:16:33 am »

Engravings generally tell the history of the fort, so if a dwarf has seen lots of goblins being killed he might carve that a lot. If you ere to view the engravings in adventure mode you'd probably find that it refers to lots of different dwarves and lots of different goblins, often in different battles.

That SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE tag in the init is defaulted to YES by now, methinks.

No, that's the thing, we were looking at all the engravings he made that are masterpieces. Each one is the same dwarf striking down the same goblin in the same day. I am confuse.

Now that's something peculiar...
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 07:27:54 am »

Okay I just found out that the fortress started in the year 31. Maybe this is the only kill that dwarf society has?

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:09 am »

Dwarves engraving the same thing over and over again is pretty much par for the course. Engravers will usually end up latching on to a favourite subject, and engrave it 90% of the time. Sometimes it's an artifact, sometimes it's the mayor being elected, and sometimes it's a dragon burning the same elf over and over and over again.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 08:17:40 am »

and then it's cheese...
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 08:31:20 am »

Wait, he engraved something different with his last masterpiece!

Instead of an image of the dwarf striking down the goblin, it is now a brand new image of the same dwarf, stabbing the same goblin in the leg while laughing.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 08:44:48 am »

Incredible! We are now witnessing the evolution of Urist McEngraver's art! This is an historical event! How exciting! History unfolding before one's eyes... Who knows what he will engrave next?
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 08:47:36 am »

I have an engraver who aperantly likes to engrave yetis and ettins traveling and/or killing nords and/or orcs. (Genesis mod)

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 12:01:23 am »

I once had a engraver that possibly worked for the Enquirer. Numerous ones had a etching of my mayor getting fired from the militia commander job. As the engraver got better, engravings of the mayor became hotter gossip info
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 12:18:19 am »

I once had a engraver that possibly worked for the Enquirer. Numerous ones had a etching of my mayor getting fired from the militia commander job. As the engraver got better, engravings of the mayor became hotter gossip info

My master engraver is obsessed with the broker, who used to be the expedition leader.  engraving after engraving of her being elected expedition leader, of her being removed from the job, she has different expressions in different ones, sometimes confused, sometimes crestfallen.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 12:32:38 am »

My master engraver is obsessed with the broker, who used to be the expedition leader.  engraving after engraving of her being elected expedition leader, of her being removed from the job, she has different expressions in different ones, sometimes confused, sometimes crestfallen.
I wasn't aware Toady added social stalking...

I recommend a trope of guards for the broker.
Pages: [1] 2