Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: /tg/ succession fort (Open to anyone!)  (Read 8049 times)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
/tg/ succession fort (Open to anyone!)
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:12:00 pm »

TwinklePaddles.
our voyage begins when a strong group of settlers set out from the mountainhome, their duty (if at all possible) is to gain a foothold in the scorching north.  They were young, thought themselves invincible, but what they discovered they could not overcome.  The following is a diary found in a small cave dug out of a knoll.  The first few entries are written in prickle berry juice, while the last two are written in blood.

Entry 1: We found a fine spot to settle, nothing too dangerous, and the only foreseeable problem being the lack of water, but we brought enough booze to last a year, the caravan should have arrived by then.  The dwarves joke about slaying dragons and monsters, each boasting that he will be the one to slit the beast's throat (although only one is slightly proficient with a sword); I just hope they do not become too overconfident.  I will allow their teasing for now, we will need all the morale we can get.

Entry 2: A cave has been found north east of our wagon.  It contains only a few nuisances, rats and such, so it should not be a problem.  However, we cannot tell how deep it travels so I have set my carpenter to board up the entrance.  We have cut down a small clearing around the hill where we are to settle, and our miner has set to work digging out living spaces.  With the discovery of the cave, I have asked the fisherdwarf to scout out for more fissures in the earth.  You never know what sort of evil could lurk inside them.

Entry 3: The fisherdwarf reports finding three suspicious crevices.  Clearly, there cannot be something in all of them (NOTE: he said one of them seemed to radiate heat, hot spring, perhaps?) so I will send the carpenter to investigate them.  Meanwhile, the entrance to our future fort has been carved out.  We should expect migrants or a caravan and day now, hopefully before the hot season.  The dwarves are excited and morale could not be stronger.

Entry 4: The carpenter is dead.  From 400 yards away, even, I saw the inferno pour from the beast's mouth.  A dragon, black and sleek, spits a torrent of flames into the sky.  The carpenter screamed as he scrambled to escape the beast's wrath, I'm sure, but from the distance I was observing at, all sound was lost under the roar of the dragon.  The dragon hunts him down as a snake would to a rabbit, flames still pouring from its gaping maw, he released a second burning volley and the carpenter fell to the ground, smoldering.  The dragon clamped onto his head and tossed him about, I thought it would devour him, but clearly it only wished him dead.  The dragon dropped the carpenter, lifeless, onto the silt and retreated into its lair.  All six of us watch the entire scene, not daring to move a muscle for hours afterward, lest the beast rise again and strike us down.

Entry 5: I instructed the swordsdwarf and the mason to close off the dragon hole.  They were both extremely reluctant, but they went for the good of the fort.  The mason returned alone and spoke of the swordsdwarf's heroism; he had fought off the dragon to give the mason enough time to wall him in.  He claims he did not want to wall them in, but there was no other alternative.  I have sent him to floor over the other two crevices, no chances this time.  I checked the dragon's lair and confirmed that the mason's story was true, the hole was covered and there was signs of a fight.  However, the dragon was far from dealt with.  Smoke seeped out from the ant hills and the grass yellowed; I feared the beast's strength might defeat dwarven masonry.  If that were to happen, we would all be dead.

Entry 6: The harpy's screeches are never ending.  They threaten the sanity of the fortress.  The very day the mason complete walling up the two other passages, a flock of harpies appeared on the horizon.  Since then they have not failed to torment my dwarves.  The morale we had when we first arrived is all, but gone, our only hope (and chance of a good nights sleep) is to dig into the earth.  The fisherdwarf has just arrived and informed me that a fourth hole has been found, Armok save us, I'm surprised this ground can support itself with so many crags and crevices.

Entry 7: It was a hydra.  If ever existed an unluckier group of dwarves, to stumble upon not only one, but two lairs of famed beasts not a stones through away from eachother, I would claim Armok to be a tyrant god!  The mason is dead, seven deadly heads shot out of the dark and dragged down into the unforgiving darkness.  If you stare into the abyss, know also the abyss stares into you.  No migrants or caravans have arrived, and we cannot send word back to the mountain home; supplies are low and none would make the journey back.  It seems we must die here, either on the fangs of a beast or by dehydration's merciless hand gripping around our parched throats.  Although one could not battle the hydra, perhaps the four of us have a chance, if we prepared for it.  This may very well be the last entry.  If so, may this water-forsaken, sun-scorched desert choke upon my blood!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:13:52 pm by ISGC »
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Cander

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: /tg/ succession fort
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »

I'll play. .18 or .19? I prefer the scarcity of .19 actually, I enjoy not having options. Same reason I like being big blind in poker.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:52 pm »

@cander: .18
the reason why there are so many megabeasts on a single map is because SOMEONE (we will not mention names) decided to max out caves and titans.  We Reclaimed this fort and slew the hydra (I'll write something up eventually, when I'm not exhausted).  There were 5 caves at the start of the game: an ettin, a dragon, a hydra, a labyrinth and a downward passage into the first cavern.
It is also a scorching sinister environment with a amphibian man civilization.

1. ISGC
2. ?? ? ??
3. profit
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:25:21 pm by ISGC »

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:47:38 am »

I'm in. are you guys on suptg irc?

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 06:59:50 am »

I'm in. are you guys on suptg irc?
#TheDwarvenFort

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:18:56 am »

What are the mods?
What are the rules?
How long for each turn?
What is the goal?

beachdorf321

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:49:33 am »

Just finished up my year, ill work on the writefagging, as i have time.

heres the save
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3884

For whoever takes the fort next, good luck.

If you have any questions about the layout/levers hit up the thread on /tg/ or PM me.

Also if we can get a list of heirs to the save?

Maillor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54:30 am »

I think I will be the next if no one is here atm. I try not to have too much FUN.

Urist McDeeth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 12:51:27 pm »

I've been doing a miserable job organizing things, but so far the list goes (i think, if Maillor is taking his term now):

1. ISGC (Completed)
2. Beachdorg (Completed)
3. Maillor (Current?)
4. McDeeth
5. Glaivemaster
6. Marauder Månsson
7. Carl Beard

Mail me if you want to get in on the fun

The rules:
We are playing rounds of 1year in-game, or 1 day IRL, after which the save will be passed on. I intend to keep tracks on people, get their mails and such, and eventually compiling the writefaggotry. You Dorf yourself (give a dwarf your name, so we don't end up with people's dwarves being dead.) when your turn comes up.

.18, no mods

The goal: Survival, and taking down titans.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:03:59 pm by Urist McDeeth »

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 03:01:50 pm »

A warm welcome:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Three lairs:
Labyrinth:
The grassy knoll (after the reclaim):
The Swordsdwarf who was tossed across the map:

this is as of the end of my turn
it probably looks different now beach has gone.

Maillor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 05:33:21 pm »

done with year 3
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3887

in one year:
- three new artifact
- gold
- we have now two nearly full squad
- gold
- lots of dworfs
- gold
- one offended elf caravan
- gold
- nearly no trees
- gold
- goblin ambushes and snatchers
- gold
- and we found magma

this and more in the upcoming episodes, stay tuned!

Urist McDeeth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 06:13:28 pm »

Right, then i'll take over. And Glaivemaster will be up next.

beachdorf321

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 07:50:11 pm »

If there's a lack of applicants slot me in again. Otherwise let new people take a year with the fort. I'd like to see as many different managerial styles as possible shape this project.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 08:13:19 pm »

If there's anybody who can organize and run a succession game by posting nothing more than the name of the fort, it'd be anon.

Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 09:59:54 pm »

Sup /tg/.
Can you dorf me? :3
I can't play right now, but I like me some writefaggotry.
If you're taking dorf requests, I'd like to be either some useless noble or a soldier.
Thanks in advance, and godspeed, gentlemen.
Proud to be part of this horrible lot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6