Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barracks/StatueGarden?  (Read 534 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Barracks/StatueGarden?
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »

Thought: Barracks/statue garden:
Would it work to have your barracks (non danger room, separate from entrance guarding) and statue garden be in the same place? You would switch squads out between there and your entrance/danger room barracks to give your military dwarfs happy thoughts. Would it work?

[edit]: Hopefully fixed the spelling fail.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:31:49 pm by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Barracks/StatueGarden?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:46:30 pm »

In theory, except that you can't rotate barracks.  They'll either train there or they won't, they won't train in one barracks at one time, and another barracks at another time.  You can, however, simply put the statues in the danger room.  You cannot walk over a statue, so it would function as a wall, and force the dwarves to stay on the spikes.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:50:10 pm »

You can assign squads to one barracks or a different one. You would need to do it manually, but that is what I mean by rotation. I think statues in an actual statue garden give better thoughts "finely arranged" than other statues. (And you don't want your civs in the danger room)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:05:15 pm »

Well, manually rotating perhaps, but I dunno if they'll notice statues while training.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:12:53 pm »

The solution I use is to dig my training complex around a large area that had been exposed to air and then roofed over. Make the open area a statue garden, have all of your barracks connect to it with no doors in between, and expand the area of each barracks to include part of the garden. That way, your military dorfs spend plenty of time training in an area which promotes happy thoughts and counts as 'outside'. Bonus points for having a waterfall in the garden...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 07:36:27 pm »

The solution I use is to dig my training complex around a large area that had been exposed to air and then roofed over. Make the open area a statue garden, have all of your barracks connect to it with no doors in between, and expand the area of each barracks to include part of the garden. That way, your military dorfs spend plenty of time training in an area which promotes happy thoughts and counts as 'outside'. Bonus points for having a waterfall in the garden...

Hmm. Why not do it all? Have a central barracks training area, surrounded by a statue garden and zoo, surrounded by a gorgeous dining room, with a few beds here and there for the dorm, with mist generators over the whole thing? Be a big square, but big squares are easy to dig.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:37:29 pm »

Wait, you mean you're training your military, in a well-lit statue garden, with pleasing waterfalls?  I just dropped my soldier in steel and unleashed 19 captured war grizzlies liberated from an elven ambush.  It's open to the outside, for easy cleaning in the rain, and has a few blood-thorn pillars that will soon enough be soaked to the point of floating, in the blood of captured foes.  Unlike regular training that involves disarming and pitting, I'm using entire elven squads, fully armed and unleashed at once.  Sadly, no goblins on my map...

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:48:23 pm »

My military are way too wimpy for anything involving bears. Probably partly because they are equipped almost entirely with copper (From goblinite).
As for 'why not always have your military train in the garden', having military train at the entrance of your base (past the traps) can be useful if any enemies manage to get through.