Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: rotting cheese?  (Read 5197 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
rotting cheese?
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:22:29 pm »

ok, isent cheese technicaly somehting that has already gone off?
so how can cheese go off in game?
unless it has something to do with the edible tag, but it shouldnt go off for yonkys xP
its like use by dates on supermarket cheese -not the mass produced stuff- 0.o
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: rotting cheese?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:26:08 pm »

Well, just because something isn't gone off doesn't mean it can't become even more gone off. There's always a point where it is just too rotten for consumption.
Unless you consider dwarven cheese is just a large mass of fungi and bacterias... hey, that wouldn't be too surprising, actually.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:28:30 pm »

Yogurt.  Your argument is invalid.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:32:22 pm »

Well, just because something isn't gone off doesn't mean it can't become even more gone off. There's always a point where it is just too rotten for consumption.
Unless you consider dwarven cheese is just a large mass of fungi and bacterias... hey, that wouldn't be too surprising, actually.

It's a delicacy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:36:49 pm »

Bonus points if you mod that in as a food item.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 05:38:41 pm »

It's a delicacy.
Hey, I didn't know that existed!
... the idea I had in mind was closer to the abomination that was a month-old noodle'n'turkey meal whose long sleep in the fridge had been interrupted by the opening of its tupperware. The turkey had somehow started to mutate into a small mammal.
Also, I'm never eating mimolette again. Or getting anywhere near any variety of cheese I don't already know. Thanks.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:42:00 pm »

Always remember to brush your cheese to get the tiny burrowing cheese demons off it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:42:30 pm »

Also, I'm never eating mimolette again. Or getting anywhere near any variety of cheese I don't already know. Thanks.
Protip: Wanna go on a diet? Learn the deep details about how everything you like to eat is made. You will never eat again.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 05:43:03 pm »

so yeah, cheese shouldnt realy be rottable expect after a fairly long time xP

ie, a few years at least.

i know it would make people just cheese stockpile, but considering the hassle with cancel job: handling dangerous animal spam milking makes, i think its a fair trade off.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:47:12 pm »

Protip: Wanna go on a diet? Learn the deep details about how everything you like to eat is made. You will never eat again.
Don't worry. I keep going to the fast food for the mystery meat. Mmmmhh, hamburgers of extremely suspicious origin.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 05:53:58 pm »

Is it possible for cheese, when rotten, to instead turn into a different edible item? And then for the new item it turns into to turn rotten and inedible? Aged cheese can still be edible, but even that can go too far and become hazardous to your health.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 05:55:05 pm »

Alright, so, you leave your cheese sitting out for a year or two (or just a day or two) and come back to us on that one, alright?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 06:05:55 pm »

Alright, so, you leave your cheese sitting out for a year or two (or just a day or two) and come back to us on that one, alright?
If it were Kraft 'cheese' (disturbingly tastytm), I would not be that surprised it nothing happened to it. With less plasticky cheeses, though, yeah... they can get all fuzzy and stuff (and if you have had that happen, you can definitely smell the miasma).
Soaplent green is goblins!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 06:06:24 pm »

Don't worry. I keep going to the fast food for the mystery meat. Mmmmhh, hamburgers of extremely suspicious origin.
Hehe. "Secret Burger: Because everybody loves a secret"
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 06:53:04 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

Since we're talking about food that's rotten.
Pages: [1] 2