Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artifact stockpile  (Read 8301 times)

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact stockpile
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:21:34 pm »

Is there a simple way to set up a stockpile that accepts all artifact quality items and likewise forbid them from being stored in normal stockpiles?  I'm looking at the core quality and total quality options in some stockpiles but I'm not exactly sure what the difference is.  Has anyone set up stockpiles like this before?

If all else fails I'll probably just manually dump artifacts where i want them and then designate a no bin stockpile under them and unforbid them.  It just seems like there should be a simpler way to do this.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact stockpile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:24:13 pm »

Core quality is the item itself, such as +Item+ while Total quality includes decorations, like *<+Item+>*

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:27:51 pm »

I tried this once and it was never used, I assume because I'd have to disable artifact-quality goods on every other stockpile. If someone has a better solution than Dump, I'd like to know too.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:39:14 pm »

it seems to me that hauling jobs from a stockpile to another are created in quite low priority.
i'd say you set core quality acception for each stockpile indivisually, and then move from everyone of them to the artifact stockpile.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:45:50 pm »

Low enough to be zero, in fact.  The ONLY time that an object will be taken out of a stockpile, is if it can be stacked somewhere better.  Like a single loose seed being put into a seed barrel elsewhere.  You can manually move goods though, using the "Take from pile" option.  This is useful, if you have a large gen stockpile, and want your jeweler to start adding diamonds to things.  Make a burrow for the jeweler that accepts diamonds, then have it Take From the large pile.  It's also possible to create a loop by having two stockpiles Take From each other, which is humorous but pointless.

Sadly, a stockpile may only donate towards one stockpile.  A stockpile may draw from any number of other piles, but it will only give to one pile.  Trying to have multiple piles draw from one large pile will let only the most recent order work.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:47:59 pm »

With modding, you can create a display case 'building' which will take in any object and make it boost room value. Artifacts are the intended use of this.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:26:30 pm »

I did this once. I turned off artifact quality in any other stockpiles than the one I wanted. And that one accepted every damned thing as long as it was of artifact quality. I ran my fort with 10-20 idlers (of 200 dorfs) at a time, and they moved things. Those idlers were handy when I was trading. Moving all those trading goods.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:27:55 pm »

You can leave the useless artifacts out as offerings to the kobolds. Build an artifact only stockpile out in front of your main gate so that things like artifact wooden flutes will be hauled there.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 05:35:08 pm »

No.

Set the wooden flutes on fire.

Then leave them for the thieves.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 09:27:45 pm »

Only really effective way I've found to corral all your artifacts in one spot is to forbid artifact quality in every stockpile but one unfortunately. That can be easy or a huge pain depending on how spread out your stocks are, personally I build a huge warehouse complex so all my stuff is in one place, separated by type of stockpile.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 10:22:31 pm »

I also use one artifact-only pile and disable artifacts from all others using the total quality setting. That seems fast and simple enough to me.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 11:07:35 pm »

It's completely possible to do this without mods. I put my children in a 'School' burrow where they can look at memorials to the fallen and artifacts placed behind clear glass windows for inspiration. I also have a natural history museum with the skeletons of all kinds of critters, especially a big pile of goblin bones.

Specialty stockpiles that only accept artifacts are easy to make as outlined above, and if you know where artifacts are in other stockpiles you can simply take from those stockpiles.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 05:36:44 am »

I always separatre out the artifacts. The take from command works, and getting all the artifacts into a stocktpile can be quite useful. At least it means you know where they are.

But then I use the take from command a lot, since I try to build my forts with minimum transition goods supplies. basically I try to adopt "just in time" production proccesses with no unnecessary production. This instead of building warehousing.

So all goods are made with the intention of matching the demand, and stockpiles are normally only 3-5 squares and separated into input and output stockpiles next to relevant workshops. And each and every stockpile is configured to only accept the good that goes into that particular production chain.

This for instance allows to separate all inputs for quality, and shipping all low quality goods into dumping stockpiles which get regularily dumped into the magma chute. and finalized trade good production (after something has been crafted, embroided with masterwork quality cloth, masterfully cut dimond, adorned with silver and what not, and the trade depot is right next to the final workshop, and all the workshops are in a chain, with one assigned owner, who eats and lives in his own appartment above the workshop.

You would think that this would be extremly efficient, but the moving around, and reinstalling workshops and furniture, and keeping taps on all the production etc means that you always break the chain somewhere, idling all workshops below in the system. not to mention that no matter how hard you try, goods tend to get worked on in an irregular pattern due to sleep, eating and partying, and when one dwarf goes of to party, he doesn't produce output for the line line, breaking down the system again. etc...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 10:07:11 pm »

I also use one artifact-only pile and disable artifacts from all others using the total quality setting. That seems fast and simple enough to me.

Sorry for the necro, but the topic is relevant.

What about Gem artifacts, and other such items that the stockpile does not have quality settings for?  Is my only option to use the "dump" command to have them dropped in a specific spot?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 03:53:10 am »

I believe you can't dump artefacts.
If by gem artifact you mean large gems you'll have to live on with them sitting wherever they were made.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: [1] 2