Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bridge o Doom  (Read 3995 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge o Doom
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 10:42:45 am »

Goblins are dirty?  You must be forgetting the naked, blood and mud soaked dwarves who stink of booze and smoke.  Among other things.

That's why dwarfs don't eat each other.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 11:38:01 am »

If you put a barracks at the bottom of the pit with some on-duty soldiers training there they will automatically finish off any hostiles.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 12:38:59 pm »

If you put a barracks at the bottom of the pit with some on-duty soldiers training there they will automatically finish off any hostiles.
and gets showered by blood and other bodily fluids

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 12:48:25 pm »

and gets showered by blood and other bodily fluids

I don't see the downside.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 12:52:45 pm »

Raining blood would be a downside if you plan on using the same entrance to kill FBs. Raining FB blood is not such a good thing.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 01:07:20 pm »

Raining blood would be a downside if you plan on using the same entrance to kill FBs. Raining FB blood is not such a good thing.

FB's cannot be flung via bridges, so they would not be tossed into the pit.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 01:11:32 pm »

and they are trapavoid.
so they are not flapped neither.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 02:34:27 pm »

I've got my civ ethics such that goblins are butchered. Dumping them in magma means no -goblin tallow roasts-.

I've actually experimented with delicate use of magma. If you "splash" them with just a little magma, briefly, letting it immediately drain away through floor grates, it tends to leave them horrifically burned and rapidly bleeding to death without annihilating the corpse. I did this for the purpose of having unmelted weapons and armor I could safely recover, but if you're very careful, you could probably preserve butcherable corpses too (they'd even be pre-cooked! hah, hah.).

Of course, that requires a new trap system unto itself, and doesn't combine well with the bridge o' doom - if you bother creating a well engineered magma splasher, you needn't bother with the bridge in the first place. Just pointing out that magma doesn't automatically equal annihilated corpses, if used carefully.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:37:38 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 02:38:09 pm »

I've got my civ ethics such that goblins are butchered. Dumping them in magma means no -goblin tallow roasts-.

I've actually experimented with delicate use of magma. If you "splash" them with just a little magma, briefly, letting it immediately drain away through floor grates, it tends to leave them horrifically burned and rapidly bleeding to death without annihilating the corpse. I did this for the purpose of having unmelted weapons and armor I could safely recover, but if you're very careful, you could probably preserve butcherable corpses too (they'd even be pre-cooked! hah, hah.).

Of course, that requires a new trap system unto itself, and doesn't combine well with the bridge o' doom - if you bother creating a well engineered magma splasher, you needn't bother with the bridge in the first place.

How'd you splash them? A quick flick of a lever or a timed-sequence repeater?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 02:45:39 pm »

Of course, that requires a new trap system unto itself, and doesn't combine well with the bridge o' doom - if you bother creating a well engineered magma splasher, you needn't bother with the bridge in the first place.

How'd you splash them? A quick flick of a lever or a timed-sequence repeater?

more like letting them stand on ground with floor grates, and drop magma from a small cistern above.
so any amount of magma dropped would be drained in no time.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 02:49:52 pm »

A bridge of doom trap probably wouldn't play nice with magma on account of all the non-magma-safe bridges/mechanisms that are often involved, and especially the menacing wooden spikes. (unless the spike is artifact, at which point you should definitely set it on fire)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 02:51:35 pm »

A bridge of doom trap probably wouldn't play nice with magma on account of all the non-magma-safe bridges/mechanisms that are often involved, and especially the menacing wooden spikes. (unless the spike is artifact, at which point you should definitely set it on fire)

You can make mechanisms out of metal. Just go to the forge. I use iron mechanisms all the time. I use a combination of iron blocks and iron mechanisms, its completely magma safe.
Pages: 1 2 [3]