Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bridge o Doom  (Read 4009 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge o Doom
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 05:44:14 pm »

I didn't actually use a single weapon trap. I just applied a masterfully engraved granite floor to their head at high speed.

Also airlock type doors to contain the resulting splatter.  :D

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 05:54:20 pm »

with dwarven force field, you could pound them even when they are falling
also a bonus against flying enemies.

edit:oops wrong link
fixed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:59:01 pm by Lamphare »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 06:08:44 pm »

Now I need to stuff a weapon trap full of hammers to test this 'no hammer stuck' thing. I suspect it will still sometimes get stuck.
Soaplent green is goblins!

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 06:44:44 pm »

You could fill it with magma and stop worriyng about how deep it has to be. You will not get any loot if you don't have any drainage system too, but at least the invaders will die a horribly melting death.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 07:08:16 pm »

You could fill it with magma and stop worriyng about how deep it has to be. You will not get any loot if you don't have any drainage system too, but at least the invaders will die a horribly melting death.
that's dwarfy, i suppose. but definitely not amusing, not at all!
seeing gobbos trying to get its way in/out of the fort with severe injuries or even missing limbs, while spittig its last litres of blood all over the place is fun!
and loot could be good. goblinite, useless clothing and leather armour for sale or for magma.

well, since you mentioned magma pit, i think a combo i.e. one side magma one side deep pit would be hilarious.
a harsh choice for you foe, between a very quick death, or slight yet painful chance of survival.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 07:12:59 pm »

I've got my civ ethics such that goblins are butchered. Dumping them in magma means no -goblin tallow roasts-.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 07:15:55 pm »

The nice thing about long pits is you can get usable bones from enemies without modding. Though goblin soap does have an appeal to it...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 07:26:52 pm »

You can probably feed a fortress indefinitely just on the remains of sieges. A single goblin will probably produce around 30-40 units of edibles. Lets say you can kill 50 goblins per year, and that is 1500-2000 units of food per year just from sieges, and that is assuming they don't bring any mounts and/or trolls which can also be butchered.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 07:31:55 pm »

It can be tricky at times to get the corpses before they rot, tho. Especially if the siegers' friends get stuck in a non-trapped part of your trap course.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:01 pm »

It can be tricky at times to get the corpses before they rot, tho. Especially if the siegers' friends get stuck in a non-trapped part of your trap course.

This is why I had the bottom of the pit be a refuse stockpile. It would also accept all iron weapons and armor, but only iron. The good steel stuff was kept elsewhere. Next to the pit were all of the butchering/tanning workshops. They would get to work as soon as the first bodies started exploding.

There were no weapon traps at all. No cage traps. Only retractable bridges.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 07:55:27 pm »

This is why I had the bottom of the pit be a refuse stockpile. It would also accept all iron weapons and armor, but only iron. The good steel stuff was kept elsewhere. Next to the pit were all of the butchering/tanning workshops. They would get to work as soon as the first bodies started exploding.

That sound like it could be trouble if you get a flyer or something that otherwise manages to survive.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 07:58:16 pm »

build you fort entrance above ground.

build some dangerous traps at the bottom, near the entrance to you little butchering workplace, so the very fortunate ones could still be killed

That sound like it could be trouble if you get a flyer or something that otherwise manages to survive.

use this

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 08:04:23 pm »

Nothing can survive a 10 Z level drop.

Also with regards to fliers, the bridges were two levels. It was an airlock design using the Z axis. The narrow bridge would toss them one level into a holding tank. The bottom of the holding tank was made out of retracting bridges. I could then open that up and drop them onto the granite below.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 08:46:51 am »

I've got my civ ethics such that goblins are butchered. Dumping them in magma means no -goblin tallow roasts-.
Goblins are dirty. They live in the mud and they shorn trools for wool. Go eat some pigs, elephants, or sharks. The goblin soap isn't a bad idead, though.

that's dwarfy, i suppose. but definitely not amusing, not at all!
seeing gobbos trying to get its way in/out of the fort with severe injuries or even missing limbs, while spittig its last litres of blood all over the place is fun!
and loot could be good. goblinite, useless clothing and leather armour for sale or for magma.

well, since you mentioned magma pit, i think a combo i.e. one side magma one side deep pit would be hilarious.
a harsh choice for you foe, between a very quick death, or slight yet painful chance of survival.

Yes, that or you could make an, let's say, 8 Z deep pit with menancing iron spikes in it, so the goblin's and trolls fall and suffer horribly injuries, but don't die. Not all of them, at least.  Them you put some dogs to kill the rest and feed the dogs at the same time, fill it all with water and before everyone drowns, flood with magma. You will gain obsidian, goblinite, insant bones and you could make some nice obsidian scultures and statues of goblins dying, and your engravers you probably engrave on your halls about the "enclosure on cooling magma" of your enemies.

It's a shame your fort can't gain fame. Imagine the goblins thinking twice before laying siege to the goblin eater dwarfs of Hyndis.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:49:23 am by arkhometha »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 09:03:19 am »

Goblins are dirty?  You must be forgetting the naked, blood and mud soaked dwarves who stink of booze and smoke.  Among other things.
Pages: 1 [2] 3