Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Guardedrings, 31.24 Community Fortress (Vae Victus)  (Read 7068 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.21 Community Fortress (!!SCIENCE!! in progress)
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2011, 10:24:56 am »

Awesome story and fort so far.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2011, 07:48:19 pm »

I'm a legendary farmer? Good grief, I must produce a lot of plants. I assume that if we've got a legendary farmer the food stocks must be doing pretty well.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2011, 08:51:39 am »

You can dorf me as any usefull dwarf. thnx
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »

((Upgrading to 31.22, and dealing with some minor bugs in it.  Good news for the few cripples soldiers, bad news for the masons and miners.  Also, I screwed up with hauling garbage: had to move one of my garbage piles, and dug a channel where it was.  Forgot to remove the zone, and tried to clean the pile, but the dwarves just kept hauling the stuff upstairs and dumping it in the old pile, which was now a whole leading to the place I was TRYING to clear.  Took me over a season to figure out why 100+ dwarves STILL hadn't cleared it yet.  Oops.))
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 11:06:38 pm »

((Argh!  I threw a waterwheel into the river, figuring it wouldn't hurt to give us some extra power, but the water slowed me down.  It froze before I could remove it, then I dismantled it before the thaw and my gears and axles are, somehow, STUCK in place!  They all display "Frozen Elsewhere" even though there is nowhere for them to be frozen since I removed the waterwheel and dismantled the axles and gears attached to it.  So, near as I can tell, I need to remove ALL the axles in the wind farm leading to the magma pumps before I have power again.  The water reactor had cut my FPS from 55-70 (depending on factors) to 15-20.  The wind farm is MUCH more FPS friendly, but I'll have a ton of work to do on it.  Lesson learned, along with a valuable one about garbage dumps, and using them in place of stone stockpiles (instead of just hiding stone).  Anyway, Alkhemia you were re-dwarfed as a Legendary +3 armorsmith, to complement JacenHan's weaponsmith.  Will_Tuna, gave you a dwarf that just became a legendary blacksmith.  Anyone else who wants a dwarf, or redwarf, pick away.  We're at 200 dwarves, over 150 free, and literally ANY profession can be had.  Want to be a soap maker and animal dissector?  Go ahead, I have plenty to spare!))

Manager's Log, 19th Hematite, 173

I assigned everyone, and I mean everyone, not working on something to build walls or help Remalle's miners.  Remalle and aussieevil and I decided that our current water and power setup is, to use my words, “a fucking watery nightmare just waiting to drown every last one of us in our fucking sleep”.  I'm sure they would have preferred a more professional outlook, but who cares?  Anyway, we've decided to use a few waterwheels on the river and a bunch of windmills to solve the problem of power.  We get plenty of wind out here, we just need to wall and seal off a suitable section of land.  I'll link an emergency floodgate or something to the access tunnel we intend to build, so we can lock the place out in case anyone comes by later than can fly over the walls or something.

Manager's Log, 4th Malachite, 173

Eight more new bodies are here; damn it, we don't have any fucking room for all these people.  I'll have to have the miners and masons get to work building more furniture and digging rooms.  Meantime, they all got drafted into the new mason and mechanic brigades.  Only two showed any real talents to be put elsewhere: one's an actually skilled miner, the other is a potter (and we only have one despite our clay stocks).

Manager's Log, 5th Galena, 173

Construction on the windmills and the like is going on quickly.  It's pretty impressive how quickly shit can get done when you kick fifty dwarves in the ass at the same time.  Once the windmills are built, we'll have to lay down the axles, and then we'll have power without the need for the messy internal reactor.  After winter comes, we can cut the frozen river off from the rest of the water supply, and pump out the cisterns before rethinking the whole mess.  Remalle and ausseevil already have half the damn fortress involved in this little plan of theirs, and they keep me as informed as I want to be.  Which is to say, minimally.  They bring the work orders, I stamp them and send them out, and go back to minding my own fucking business, just the way I like it.

Manager's Log, 14th Galena, 173

The humans are here, at least their diplomat is.  I wonder what they'll want to talk about this time, if anything.  Nothing productive came out of the last game of grab-ass they played with our mayor.  Of course, it got me wondering where the hell their caravan is; it's supposed to be here by now.

Manager's Log, 17th Galena, 173

Ah, there's the caravan.  Not much to buy really; we snatched up all the bronze we could, along with some iron and tin (so we can make more bronze).

Manager's Log, 27th Limestone, 173

One of the heroic soldiers has been taken by a mood, stomping around shouting demands.  I'm going to have to keep an eye on her.

Manager's Log, 10th Sandstone, 173

Another seven migrants are here, damn it all.  We've got most of the new windmills up and running, and have dismantled the water reactor.  I hear that aussieevil has moved on to figuring out how to drain the cistern, while Remalle and I and the architects are sketching out the new work level.  There's still a lot to be done.

Manager's Log, 22nd Sandstone, 173

Edem finished the project she was working on; it's an artifact leather backpack.  I'm impressed, or I would be if I had any idea what we're to do with it.  Anyway, we've got another exceptional worker among us, except she's already a soldier.  Waste of time, but whatever.

Manager's Log, 19th Timber, 173

The outpost liaison and caravan have been spotted.  Time to get to trading; the work area is still a mess as we get to rebuilding, but it can't be helped.  They'll have to ignore the fact we look like a shithole and just deal, we have bigger problems.  I'm not sure what the liaison wants to discuss, but he mentioned that the next meeting would be urgent.

Manager's Log, 22nd Timber, 173

Fucking goblins ambushed us right as the caravan is coming in!  Between the soldiers guarding it and our own troops, they shouldn't be much of a threat, but it's the damned principle!

Manager's Log, 28th Timber, 173

Useless gits.  They didn't bring any flux stone, pig iron, or anything.  We bought all the tin, bronze, and steel we could, but it's a real pain in the ass.  Luckily we have some stuff leftover for when the smelters go online, but it still pisses me off.

Manager's Log, 24th Moonstone, 173

Great fucking news from the mountainhome.  Last night was the meeting of the Elders; the three surviving founders, plus myself, Nil the broker, the militia commander Edem, and the captain of the guard Iteb all met at the bar to discuss the recent liaison's meeting and the state of the fortress.  Normally it's a real snore-fest that I just use as an excuse to get drunk on someone else's tab, but this one was a real mind-fuck.  Seems that we're doing SO fucking well, they've promoted us to a county.  So, not only is our daft bitch of a baroness now a countess, but that means she requires better living arrangements!  Fucking nobles!  Remalle was plenty upset by the news, but hopefully we'll be able to handle her and continue on towards his goals, whatever they are.  I stopped paying attention shortly after the announcement, had to get drunk enough to forget I'd heard it.

Manager's Log, 12th Opal, 173

Okay, we've got someone stuck demanding cloth for a mood they're in.  Not sure what else to do, I figured he must want silk (since we don't have any more here).  I ordered the miners to BRIEFLY open a tunnel to the first cavern, so we can let him get a few webs.  I also stationed the swordsdwarves there, just in case.  Here's fucking hoping.

Manager's Log, 18th Obsidian, 173

I still haven't bothered to put together the better quarters for the countess; we have such bigger priorities.  The whole industry level is being rebuilt, still, and Remalle and Edem got together to plan a new entrance, which we've started work on.  Good fucking news, at least it will be once the hauling is finished.  No sieges or the like yet, but a couple snatchers.  All quiet, at least.

Manager's Log, 20th Obsidian, 173

I take that back.  Some kind of four-legged monstrosity that looked like it was made of fucking opals charged the tunnel!  The soldiers charged in fearlessly, but how do you kill something like this!  It's some kind of monster, apparently, forgotten in the distant past.  I knew caverns were dangerous, but holy fuck!  I hope these rejects can handle it, they could barely deal with goblins and trolls.

Here comes trouble...

The battle begins.

The dwarves had fun, and I avoided having Fun.

Will wonders never cease?  That was a damn good show.  Alright, time to seal off this tunnel and let the moody dwarf finish the mysterious fucking thing.  It better be good.

Manager's Log, 23rd Obsidian, 173

Two fucking ambushes at once!  We lost a hauler and a couple dogs, and they're still not inside yet!  I ordered everyone into the safe zone, but people aren't fucking listening!  What the hell do they think they're doing!?

Luckily, it seems all the sparring, practice, and live-fire exercises on POWs has turned out squad of rejects into some hard-fighting dwarves, all right. They tore apart the ambushers as soon as they made it on the scene, without any apparent injuries and no deaths.  We lost our hauler, but that's the way ambushes go I guess.  A couple dogs too, boo-fuckin'-hoo.  Not like I don't have fifty more where they came from.

Manager's Log, 27th Obsidian, 173

He made a pig iron throne.  It's not bad, really; not my taste, though Remalle loves the fucking thing (he's got a fetish for pig iron or something, maybe he just likes steel working, I don't know).  The good news is I got a hell of a blacksmith out of the deal, at least.

Manager's Log, 20th Granite, 174

Another ettin is here!  What the hell, are we fucking cursed or something?  Alright, time to send in the troops!

The dwarves, under the leadership of the fearless Edem, the Quiet Fed Meal of Granite, prepare to fight an ettin.

This fight was over before it started.  After this it's just 12 pages of dwarves and dogs gang-banging a puking ettin.

That was anticlimatic.  These dwarves are starting to get scary.  Ahra II claimed the kill, though, making him even with Edem in number of giants killed.  Anyway, back to clearing out the shit in the work area.

Manager's Log, 4th Slate, 174

Twenty fucking migrants!  More bodies to help, and we'd better get this shit done in a hurry, it's fucking up our industries.  I need some time to talk with Remalle about digging more quarters and where the blue fuck we're going to put everyone!  We're nearly at two-hundred dwarves now!

Manager's Log, 15 Slate, 174

Alright, the work area is finally clear.  Now to get the lava pumps working again, and get this place BUILT.  The countess and the mayor are crawling up my ass almost daily about this shit now; I need to get it handled.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.22 Community Fortress (Now with walking cripples!)
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 06:09:13 pm »

Do we have dormitories to put the peasants 'n' such?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2011, 09:27:09 pm »

((Not yet, your Honor  ;D  We have some dormitory space, but not nearly enough for the 70+ homeless peasants.  I'm expanding the entire living levels, and once I finish the industry level, I'll be churning out furniture for rooms.))
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2011, 08:05:24 pm »

((Okay, so I'm a bit embarrassed.  I just noticed a small pocket of white sand AND chalk, just hiding at the edge of the map past a little waterfall.  I'd never looked before because it's down a z-level from where I started, and it was so small I figured nothing could be there.  True, the chalk might not be enough flux for a steel industry, but sand?  Endless damned sand and I missed it this whole time!?  Yeesh.  Anyway, that's my next project: finish my greenhouse.))

Manager's Log, 18th Felsite, 174

We've finally got the floodgates hooked up, the junk around here cleared into manageable piles, and the new magma workshops built.  Time to let the magma flow, and see if we can get things rolling again.  The elves are here, so that means its time to buy some leather, booze, barrels, and unload as much useless junk as we can.

Manager's Log, 26th Felsite, 174

We just had three ambushes at once!  Fucking goblins!  Well, the militia ran out to save the two haulers that were outside, one of whom was also our legendary miller!  They couldn't save the other guy, but they cut the goblins apart.  The few that weren't smart enough to run for the hills, but smart enough to avoid the dwarves with sharp things, ran straight into the cage traps.  Fun times.

Manager's Log, 17th Hematite, 174

Another ettin has come.  What the fuck is with this place?  Goblin ambushes left and right, now our third ettin in as many years.  I'd better send the soldiers out there to handle it;  we've also got some git that's got a glassed-over look in her eyes.  Probably possessed; just what I fucking need.

That was easy enough.

Manager's Log, 3rd Malachite, 174

The dwarf in question made a glass box.  It's very nice, but she doesn't seem to recall any of it.  Figures.  Well, at least we have something nice to make the countess shut up.

Manager's Log, 9th Malachite, 174

More.  Fucking.  Migrants.  Another 9 of them.  This is getting insane.  Alright, time to really step up the rebuilding.

Manager's Log, 14th Galena, 174

The human caravan is here, another chance to unload some useless junk.  Work is going as fast as can be managed, but first Remalle wants the reservoirs drained and the whole living area rebuilt.

Manager's Log, 18th Galena, 174

Another ambush, just as the caravan was arriving!  The soldiers were sent out, but not before the goblins ripped apart one of the haulers.  Worse, we had just dug a tunnel to connect the future pump stack to drain the cistern, since one of the miners was trapped.  That means there's an open tunnel into the damned fortress that bypasses the entire trapped and guarded entry!  Shit!

It ended up alright, mostly.  One of the soldiers took a bolt to the throat, didn't make it.  A couple guard dogs bit it as well.  Shit, this is getting worse and worse.

Manager's Log, 27th Limestone, 174

More migrants; I'm having more work done on the inside, but we need to finish the pumps before winter so the water doesn't freeze as we pump it out. 

Manager's Log, 11th Timber, 174

It's been a busy damn fall.  We finally got the various industries up and running, pumped the water out of the cisterns, and got the city guard organized.  I put work orders in for the rest of their equipment: copper armor (full plate), wooden batons, and the usual packs and waterskins.  The jail has been expanded to thirty cells, though the equipment for them isn't ready yet.  We also are putting in a barracks for the city guard, to free up bedrooms.  We're going to expand the barracks soon, and set up an above-ground training area (to prevent nausea when they have to go outside and fight), and finish up the new, more aggressive defenses for the entrance.   I also want the entire fucking agricultural level redone: it's really irritating to work in as is.  The outpost liaison and the caravan are here, just in fucking time to buy more useless shit from us; hopefully they brought a decent amount of coal and flux and pig iron.  We're completely dependent on the dipshit trader for our steel supplies, and we can't seem to impress that upon him enough.  At any rate, the magma smelters are a great idea, damn glad we finally have them.  I have them running day and night to melt down all the copper and silver our goblin “friends” bring to us, along with the useless junk we buy from the trader and the humans.  Remalle and aussieevil finished drawing up new plans for the expanded living area, and handed them off to me today.  It'll be some time before everything is finished, but who gives a shit?  Not them, apparently, because they're already off designing something new, I don't know what.  Too much damn work.

Manager's Log, 25th Timber, 174

Not a hell of a lot of anything we wanted, but better than nothing.  I personally am sick of this shitty job; there's just no end to the amount of work we have to do out in the fields, and I can't juggle both anymore.  I got word today that the king has made us a duchy, and that means Vucar, the daft bitch, is now a duchess.  I won't deal with her shit anymore.  I told Remalle I'm resigning, effective right this fucking minute.  Someone else can handle this.

Mayor's Log, 1st Granite, 175

This is the personal journal of Remalle Inodlecad, Mayor of Duthnurathel (Guardedrings in the common tongue).  My manager resigned recently, citing conflict in her schedule as the reason (at least, that's the most polite way of putting it).  I've appointed a replacement manager and bookkeeper, but what we really need is a new Overseer and Chief Architect.  Endok, may his beard grow ever longer in the hereafter, left us without anyone truly skilled enough to take up his mantle, and we have much work to be done now that the fortress is self-sufficient.  The spring is upon us, and that means the cisterns will soon be fully drained.  There are complaints about the lack of a well, but we will make do until a proper internal plumbing system can be devised and implemented.  Chief engineer aussieevil has been instrumental in getting us as far as we are with the machinery: we have a functioning magma workshop now because of his efforts, and a powerful wind farm that will enable us to provide the indoor waterfalls, wells, and other wonders that Endok envisioned.  For now, it's back to finishing our most immediate concern: a stronger, more secure entrance to the fortress.

Mayor's Log, 28th Granite, 175

The new fortified entry is almost done; it's a truly impressive structure.  The ground level has the nearby river for a moat, with three ballistas watching the way into the tunnel.  Above this entrance is a watch room, where fortifications allow posted marksdwarves to fire on invaders from the safety of the room above the bridge.  A nearby ammunition stockpile will have ballista bolts and crossbow bolts stored, so the troops can maintain their fire throughout even the longest of sieges.  We also moved the firing range and sparring room to the structure, on the top floor in a glass-ceiling training area.  This will allow soldiers to train and remain comfortable operating in daylight and under the sun.  The next step is to rebuild the barracks and finish the newly expanded living quarters.

Mayor's Log, 11th Felsite, 175

The elves are here to trade; I'm not interested in their goods, for the most part, unless they brought sand.  Either way, they're excellent for unloaded the glut of crafts and loot taken from dead goblins and trolls.  A time honored tradition, really.

Mayor's Log, 17th Felsite, 175

Things with the elves went well; we managed to get rid of a lot of our useless goods and get some sand for crafting.

Mayor's Log, 24th Galena, 175

The human caravan arrived; unfortunately, two goblin ambushes did as well.  The traders were frightened off; this is not going to end well, I'm sure.  No matter; the abandoned goods will be taken in and used if we want, left to be resold if not.  There's not much else that can be done at the moment, sadly.

Mayor's Log, 25th Galena, 175

I feel so monumentally foolish.  Chalk and sand, the two most spare and precious of resources for us here, have just been found on the outskirts of the land we claimed for ourselves.  I'm not sure how large the deposits are, but the immediate demand is that we inspect these potential resources as soon as possible.  It will completely overhaul our plans and work, but will be well worth it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:26:40 pm by Urist_McArathos »
On the Nature of Dwarves

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

You might want to change your last entries from "manager" to me "mayor".  Also, could I get a look at my dorfstat page?

B4brilliant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting to follow.
I'd love to get Dorf'd, if possible. Engraver or military preferably.

Thankee

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You might want to change your last entries from "manager" to me "mayor".  Also, could I get a look at my dorfstat page?

((Done and done.))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mayor's Log, 11th Limestone, 175

I've taken my best miners to the site, but all we've found so far is chert.  There's chalk on the surface mixed in with the soil, but not enough to make use of for the steel industry.  Plenty of sand, though, so our glass industry is about to go into high gear.

Mayor's Log, 14th Limestone, 175

Never mind, we found the chalk deposits a little further down.  I'm still not sure how rich they are, but it's enough for now to put all our troops in full steel.  Excellent news for certain.  If we keep digging we might even find more flux deeper down; it's sedimentary stone here, which is rich in both iron and flux, so this bodes well for the future.  I'm connecting it to the iron mines just below the surface; if only I had more miners.  Somehow five of us just doesn't seem like enough.

Mayor's Log, 15th Limestone, 175

Aussieevil has been taken by the fey spirits, and I'm certainly concerned.  I can't afford to have another founder die (to say nothing of one of our best miners AND mechanics), and if we can't get him what he wants, he'll go mad.  This is not the kind of news I wanted, but it cannot be helped.

Mayor's Log, 20th Limestone, 175

Well, that crisis has been averted.  He's started work on whatever it is he was after, so the supplies were a non issue.  He ended up making a rather impressive weapon rack, I suppose we can shove it into a noble's bedroom to satisfy their demands for luxury.

Mayor's Log, 25th Sandstone, 175

We've begun work on overhauling the entire interior of the fortress.  The dining hall is being expanded to handle 80 dwarves at once, while The Elephant Gentleman (our premiere and, at the moment, only tavern) will be expanded to house a proper dozen or more patrons at once, perhaps more.  The hospital is being expanded to house 20 patients, with a better office for the chief medical officer.  We're also going to expand the statue gardens and zoo, to include an area where dwarves can watch combat between captured prisoners and our soldiers (or perhaps captured prisoners and one another, depending).  The plans for it, for now, involve building a large hallway lined with statues and cages of animals, then opening into a circular room with tables and chairs (more seating for eating and drinking, naturally), with a ciruclar glass room within.  A single door will control entry to the hall, though we'll likely have other security measures in place (perhaps temporary walls will be built in the event of nastier enemies that might smash a door).  On the floor above will be a pit for tossing creatures in, along with a lever control room in the event we need to open cages from a safe distance.  Either way it should make for a good dinner show.

Mayor's Log, 13th Timber, 175

The liaison is here to meet with me, as is the caravan.  I'm not sure we need to order our usual requests; now that we have access to chalk and sand, demanding all the flux, sand, and steel the mountainhome can offer seems ill-advised (in the interests of maintaining a good trade relationship, I'll purchase the supplies they brought this time anyway).  In the future I want to focus on bronze production, as well as silver and rose gold (for decorations and luxury items).  Guardedrings can handle its own mundane needs, such as clothes, food, drink, and basic necessities.  What we need are luxury items for turning this large, if humbly outfitted, city into a true glistening metropolis worthy of dwarven occupation. 

Mayor's Log, 19th Timber, 175

It appears a pair of goblin ambushes has been sprung on us.  I sent the military to dispatch them; I've no patience for this with the traders here and the liaison in my quarters.

That was handled easily enough: the goblins were cut to pieces without any losses, thanks to the rapid response of our military.  The goblins seem to be sitting on a silver mine, as we find they are constantly arriving with silver weapons.  I'm actually starting to look forward to their arrival solely for the silver harvest it brings.  I had a pair of tamed black bears we acquired from our traps chained in the entry tunnel, just in case the traps alone don't catch bandits as they sneak inside.  Besides, it also looks nice and impressive to have guard bears, instead of guard dogs.

Mayor's Log, 22nd Granite, 176

A quiet winter, now we're on to the lovely spring.  Much of the work I wanted done has been finished: the chalk quarry is slowly expanding, allowing us to have two squads fully outfitted in steel armor; the new dining hall is nearly finished, just waiting on the decorations (but the tables and chairs are complete); the new living quarters for myself and the duchess are done and properly appointed; the glassworks are in full production, churning out glass weaponry and blocks.  The projects we're moving on to now are: finishing the new cisterns, so the wells and indoor waterfalls can be completed; finishing up the reconstruction of the entryway and furnishing the hospital; paving roads to connect to our entrance; expanding the bar and adding a public baths; finishing the statue gardens/zoo/arena; expanding the mines in search of more iron; and moving into the caverns to explore and exploit their resources.  There is more on the agenda, but for now we'll have to content ourselves with the projects at hand.

Mayor's Log, 17th Felsite, 176

The elves are here, prepared to trade.  I'm growing tired of their demands, but at least they come with wood and food and booze; the growing fortress is consuming supplies at an amazing rate.

Mayor's Log, 14th Sandstone, 176

The liaison will be here soon, and I'm pleased with how things are going.  The new hospital is finished, except for the last delivery of traction benches.  The baths are done and decorated with stoneware and copper statues, the new dining hall has two lovely waterfalls to clean and comfort everyone as they come to relax, and the bar is better than ever.  The new traps are up in the entryway, so we just need to finish the barracks and the last of the digging and walling to have the whole fortress completely ready for inspection by the king's agent.  There were rumblings last year when the liaison visited that the king had taken an interest in us, and it seems more and more likely that this was not just some story to spurn on steel production.

((Okay, so a ton of rebuilding has been going on, and the fortress looks and runs much smoother now because of it.  Several ambushes have been fought off by our now VERY skilled military.  I feel danger rooms are too gamey and don't use them, but after a few years of steady sparring practice and live fire exercises on caged prisoners, my military is a dangerous force.  They simply tear apart the enemies that come their way.  My policy was that any soldier that got enough kills to warrant a nickname gets a tomb, and I'm WAY behind on tombs now.  That, along with the aforementioned arena and overhauled entrance are the last things on my to-do list before I start digging for adamantine and working on the first megaproject.  There are some impressive things coming, rest assured.  There hasn't been as much Fun recently, but I assure you I'm taking steps to correct that.  I haven't had a siege in some time, I'm a bit surprised the goblins aren't making my life more interesting.  Only time will tell how long this quiet remains.  B4brilliant, I've got a couple legendary engravers and have numerous marksdwarves, swordsdwarves, and axedwarves.  Any preference?))
On the Nature of Dwarves

B4brilliant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hmmmm, engraver, nice safe engraver.

Great story, thus far.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Ask and you shall recieve; I swear this is a huge coincidence, not the coming Fun I hinted at.))

Inside the Watchroom, 12th Timber, 176 

Kivish sighed as she looked out over the battlements.  Sentry duty was one of the more boring tasks to be assigned to, but it had to be done.  She heard the steady “thwack” of bone bolts lodging into the andesite targets in the room behind her, and shrugged as she yawned.  Another dwarf came in, offering her a plate.  “Mm, what is it, Asmel?”  The other dwarf set his steel crossbow down and took a seat beside her.

“Lamb roast, with wild strawberries, plump helmet, and eh...fisher berries, I think.”

“Smells good, at least.”  She tucked into her meal, having forgotten how hungry she was on her long shifts.

“Aramco still hard at work in the back, I see,” Asmel peered out the window while she ate.

“Mmff” came the muffled reply as she gulped down a few mouthfuls of beer from her flask, “yeah, he's in there constantly.  Ever since we got the new steel crossbows the mayor ordered, he's been firing away to get used to it.  They're much more accurate if you ask me.”  She noticed Asmel was staring hard in the distance.  “What is it?”

“The caravan, and the liaison.”

“Oh, good!  I'll go inform the mayor.”

“They're being followed by goblins.”  Asmel lept to his feet.  “Go sound the alarm, I'll wait here.”  The clatter of a plate hitting the floor and food spilling was her answer for him, and the marksdwarf pulled back the bow on his weapon, loading a bolt.  “Captain Aramco, sir!  You'd better get in here!”

An hour later, inside the Watchroom

Remalle stood in the guardroom with the three squad leaders.  He looked out over the battlements; off in the distance of the woods, he could see trolls and goblins coming for them.  The caravan was a ways behind the liaison, but it was unclear how far they were from the besieging force.  He narrowed his bushy eyebrows, and let out a throaty, rumbling grumble.  “It's been far too long, ye green and purple bastards.  Missed us, did ye?”  He turned to Edem, who was sharpening the Spear of Plissken, the heirloom of the fortress and the weapon of its first great hero.  “How many d'ye figure are out there?”

“I count a couple dozen goblins, but there's no telling how many trolls are behind them.  Goblins never lay siege without trolls, and that's no ambush force.  They're not in hiding.”  Edem hadn't been a soldier when she arrived, but she was a fast learner and their best soldier, with over two dozen kills to her name, including a grizzly bear and black bear she killed single-handed, and two Ettins.

“Well, the liaison's close, he'll make it in here alive.  Post yer troops in the industry level, just past where the entrance bends.  Momuz, take yer axes and post them with Edem, in case it gets messy.  Aramco, ye can stay here with the crossbows, pick them off as they arrive;  it's a shame we nae finished the ballista bolts earlier, they'll not be used this time.”

Momuz blinked in surprise.  “Surely you're not going to abandon the caravan?  They could be slaughtered!”

“We've nae the time nor troops to concern ourselves.  They have guards, if it comes to that.  If not, we have to think of the fortress first, all else comes after.  I'll have the city guard further inside, just in case.”

The alarm was sounded, and the city guard rushed the civilians down below, waving their wooden batons to direct the flow of panicked civilians.  No invasion was taken lightly, even if goblins weren't the most dangerous of threats.  The guard for their part were concerned; they were to hold the line if the soldiers broke, but they wore polished copper armor and carried wooden batons.  Plenty for cracking heads and breaking up bar fights, but what hope would they have of stopping an army with their paltry arms?  The situation was much better above.  The marksdwarves raced to the fortifications that overlooked the entry gate, new steel crossbows in hand and quivers packed with bolts.  Stout dwarves raced to the industry hall, their weapons glimmering in the faint light.  The entire military had been outfitted with masterfully worked steel arms and armor, and was prepared for war.  Though the axedwarves had yet to taste true combat, the dwarves under Edem were veterans who had trained for years.  They waited, wondered who would come to the gates: the caravan, or the goblins?

Inside the Watchroom, 14th Timber, 176

Aramco and his dwarves watched, waiting to see if the caravan would make it.  The liaison was already inside, safe and secured in the mayor's quarters.  The caravan was drawing closer, but had two whole squads of goblins bearing down on them.  They had guards, so perhaps if it was dire enough they would have enough time to get inside.  Nervously they waited, the caravan coming closer while the goblins rushed through the thick trees.  Could the caravan even see their danger, through such thick foliage and undergrowth?  They were just turning into the tunnel, into sight of the fortifications where the squad could see and yell to them.  “Get in!  Get in, you damned fools!  Get inside!”  The shouts and frantic waving spurned them on, the merchants lashing their beats of burden and racing into the safety of the tunnel while the sounds of goblin laughter, wicked and eager for blood could be heard as the goblins raced towards their prey. 

The merchants rushed in, but one of the dwarves held back.  A fat axedwarf, she stood there defiantly in a mish-mash of metals, bronze and copper plate and chain, a steel shield; she was a crazy riot of armaments, but she would not let the goblins strike her charges, not this day.  The marksdwarves shouted for her to get inside to safety, they would stall the goblins, but she did not move as they approached.  Heedless of the danger, she charged their ranks, dooming herself to all but certain death as the score of goblin soldiers surrounded her. 

The goblin lord grinned a cruel grin and shouted in his fell tongue as his halberd raced towards her flesh, his charge menacing.  She was too fast for him though, and ducked away!  She swung at him, but he easily dodged her blows, smashing his halberd blade into her foot.  She screamed as he twisted it before yanking it free, smashing her in the chin with the pole and knocking her backwards, stunned.  The other goblins poured onwards, laughing gleefully as they chopped and hacked, cutting her to pieces as she desperately tried to inflict some sort of damage.  An arm, still grasping a shield, flew upwards in the air, free of the mortal bounds of its body. 

A scream of agony couldn't even be heard over the wicked, sadistic laughter of the horde.  The marksdwarves watched, their expressions as hard as the stone that housed them.  The greenskinned filth would pay for this butchery.  Bolts rained down on the goblins as they charged into the tunnel, but the screams of those at the front warned the rest of what awaited.  The bears roared as the smell of goblin blood wafted into their nostrils, the tunnel sprayed as the glass weaponry finished off the first eager few.  It was not enough to slow the horde, though.  The caravaneers raced inside, but the last of the caravan were in great danger of being attacked.  The soldiers waved them onward; inside, damn it all, hurry it up and get to safety!  Edem considered charging, but she knew they could be pincushioned by goblin archers if they met them in the long tunnel.  No, the enemy must turn the corner and face them on their terms, then and only then could they ensure victory.  They had to draw their enemies through the traps, wounding them and hurting morale, before they could engage.  She waited, fighting the urge to rush forward.  Her squad watched her, waiting for the command.  A strange, horrible sound came to them punctuated by a bear's paw sailing through the air and splattering just past the last caravaneer.  Edem winced; the bears were doing their terrible duty.  She heard the sound of footsteps, and saw a pair of the marksdwarves rush into the tunnel from the barracks, firing wildly down the entry hall.  They had abandoned their post to take the fight to the enemy! 

She cursed; so much for tactics.  They wouldn't last a minute in leather armor, so she raced forward, intending to help them.  The others in her squad followed, as did Momuz and his new recruits.  Stones crashed down from the ceiling and glass weapons ripped through the air, filling the hall with green body parts and spraying blue and red blood everywhere.  Edem was in her element, racing forward even as the dwarves unloaded bolt after bolt into the oncoming horde.  One of them smashed its weapon in her face, but she only glowered past her broken nose, striking down the beast with a spear to the gut.  She added two more kills quickly to her list, while the remainder of the marksdwarves poured in, shooting or bashing with their steel crossbows.  Even some of the caravan guards, content that their charges were now safely in the depot, rushed forward to join the fray.  The battle was raging, the entirety of the siege within the tunnels, soaking it in their blood as they fought.  A single goblin had made it through, the only one so far, but he was being ignored as he floundered on the ground, his legs both gone.  He screamed and thrashed his stumps, cursing the bearded devils that had done this to him in every way he knew. 

One of the caravan guards stepped forward to put him out of his misery, his steel spear poised for the death blow.  Edem, meanwhile, was a force possessed.  She bashed, smashed, and speared everything that came near her.  She was a whirlwind of death and ruin, surrounded by goblins and trolls and untouchable in her steel armor and lightning reflexes.  After so much ruin, the few trolls and goblins not yet brutally slain or dying on the floor turned and ran in horror; the dwarves had brutally ruined them, with but a single death of their own.  There was no victory here, only slaughter.  The dwarves chased them back through the tunnel, not even stopping to laugh as the survivors were forced to flee once more through the traps they had been lucky to survive the first time. 

Edem and her dwarves raced past the now-silenced runners, leaping over their severed parts and dashing out into the sun.  A single goblin crawled away, using his crossbow to drag himself between dry heaves and retches, soaked in his own vomit and blood.  He whimpered in pain as the dwarves surrounded him, meekly trying to flee even then.  A few moments passed as they encircled him, followed by a swift and punctuating crunch.  Edem wiped the blood from her brow, and looked to her squadmates.  “I'll give the mayor the all clear; let's hit the baths”.  They grunted in approval, and made their way back inside the tunnel.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:15:21 pm by Urist_McArathos »
On the Nature of Dwarves

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.24 Community Fortress (Vae Victus)
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2011, 05:55:14 am »

Nice battle report sir!

Could you give some stats of the warriors? who got most kills? and how did the recruits do?
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.24 Community Fortress (Vae Victus)
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2011, 08:43:16 am »

This is an awesome story. I hope you don't burn out.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5