Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Guardedrings, 31.24 Community Fortress (Vae Victus)  (Read 7069 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.24 Community Fortress (Vae Victus)
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2011, 06:49:15 pm »

Nice battle report sir!

Could you give some stats of the warriors? who got most kills? and how did the recruits do?

((I can, tell you some of that; I only know the number of kills Edem had before, the others not sure (the recruits had 0, so that's easy).  Complicating matters was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyway, I'm finally getting some bad behavior: my first tantruming dwarf.  I recently added a garbage disposal and pet-removal aid by building two hatches above the lava pool in my work area, sealing it off with doors, and marking it as a dump and pen, then dumping junk and assigning pets.  I didn't want to kill pets, because it felt too gamey (what kind of cruel dwarf overlord would order pets murdered?  I'm not running Blockedlance just yet...), but the dozens of rabbits and cavies and geese was causing an unstoppable petsplosion.  My FPS was dying under the strain, and the rabbits were devouring my pastures which were being used for wool and meat farming.  Most of the dwarves have shaken it off, but one of my legendary brewers is NOT taking the loss of her beloved pet well.  Should be interesting.  Also, my cunning plan to prevent starvation in the jails failed: I lost two dwarves to thirst while serving prison sentences.  Anyway, update coming either tonight or sunday (I work a double tommorow), which will include more diary entries and the aforementioned stats, kills, and more.))
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2011, 10:43:43 pm »

Mayor's Log, 19th Obsidian, 176

The goblins are back, in force.  We have some more traps running, and some ballista bolts ready to fire.  We'll show the goblins the folly of coming here twice in one year.

Mayor's Log, 7th Granite, 177

That didn't go as well as I would have liked; we lost two soldiers in the bloodshed, and somehow the duchess took a nasty blow to the kidneys.  I'm not sure who or what was responsible, as I don't recall her being outside the quarantine zone, but she seems to be in high spirits despite the injury, so it's no pressing matter.  The goblins were defeated soundly though; but it proves we need more training and more troops.  I'm planning to expand our armed forces to include another squad of axedwarves and marksdwarves, each, and keep them training aggressively.  The marksdwarves in particular need to get some practice firing at live targets; we'll be building a chamber for the purpose soon.  We have plenty of live captives for them to use.  I'm planning on finishing up the barracks and the arena, that should pretty much finish up construction, barring a slightly expanded living quarters (the soldiers need more room in the barracks before they can completely move out, but we're not short on beds just yet).  From there, on to more important projects, including more work with the mines and quarries.  My need for a new chief architect and overseer is greater than ever.

((In the near future I'll be working 70+ hours a week, so all my ten fans must bear with me as the updates slow down to perhaps once a week.  No worries about the burnout: I write for a hobby, and I'm actually planning a megaproject for this entire thread (beyond the ones planned for the fort) once the story is done, hopefully you all will like it.  So, onwards to exploring my military:

Firstly, our greatest champion, Edem the Quiet Fed Meal of Granite:

As you can see, she's already a battle hardened badass, tough and brutal and more than a little nihilistic after seeing so many of her first squadmates die brutally in battle. 

A legendary fighter and on her way to legendary with that spear, she's accumulated 17 kills over the course of the two recent sieges.  She's definitely the best I've got.  That brings her to 42 notable kills, and the two bears she slew by herself.

Her squad: the Hatchets of Working. 144 Total Kills.

Roster
Vabok "The Primitive Lock": indefatigable, extremely agile, and very strong, 7 kills during the sieges.
Zulban "The Armored Persuasion of Mobs": quick to heal, 2 kills during the sieges.
Vucar "The Bejeweled Zeal of Nations": absolutely inexhaustible, strong, slow to heal, 1 kill during the sieges.
Asmel "The Recitent Friends of Plunder": quite durable, slow to tire, agile, 2 kills during the sieges.
Mosus "The First Morass of Organizations": unbelievably strong, very slow to tire, quite durable, 6 kills during the sieges.
Ahra II (forum dwarf!) "The Target of Seeds": incredibly tough, almost never sick, very slow to tire, slow to heal, 4 kills during the sieges.
Mafol "The Heather of Equivalence": slow to tire, agile, 3 kills during the sieges.
Kol "The Mire of Echoing": quite durable, very slow to tire, clumsy, really slow to heal, 2 kills during the sieges.
Mebzuth "The Yellow Lace of Response": incredibly quick to heal, very rarely sick, strong, agile, 1 kill during the siege.

The new recruits are The Greennesses of Silver.  None of them have nicknames, which means none have 5 or more notable kills.  Total combined body count: 15, all during the sieges.  Not bad for rookies, though Edem killed more than the entire squad put together.

The marksdwarves are led by another forum dwarf, Aramco II.  His squad, "The Invisible Works", may as well be invisible for all their kills.  Not a named hero among them, and a combined kill count of 9 (all in the sieges as well).  It's not really their fault though; marksdwarves only recently seemed to be fixed, so they've barely got any training under their belts, and since bolts weren't being used properly I haven't bothered to make anything besides bone bolts.  Since they wouldn't respect the combat and training settings, why waste metal?  Now that it appears to be fixed, I'll start forging metal bolts for combat.  They killed 9 creatures using only their bone training bolts.

I'm about to add another axedwarf squad, and maybe even another marksdwarf one (added firepower never hurt).  Anyway
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2011, 03:53:37 pm »

Mayor's Log, 21st Granite, 177

There's so much junk to clean after all the bloodshed; I've built a new garbage dump in the work levels: a pair of hatches placed over the magma in the floor below, sealed off by a pair of security doors.  When the garbage is stacked inside the room, we lock the doors and use a lever to drop the steel hatches, dumping the junk into the magma, destroying it instantly.  It's speedy, but it requires a tad more management than our old methods.  I feel it's worth it, personally.

Mayor's Log, 18th Felsite, 177

Construction has been going well; I am not sure what to do about all this junk laying about; does nobody feel the need to pick up their own possessions anymore?  Adding to this headache is the fact that another siege has been spotted.  Barring any additional casualties, goblins are becoming a welcome sight as a matter of fact.  They're an excellent source of silver, a precious metal prized for decorating our halls, but we have no local sources for it.

Mayor's Log, 26th Felsite, 177

The siege was handled quickly; some of the goblins fled after seeing the trolls and the first few leaders chewed apart by our traps, while the rest were easily dispatched by our troops.  Once again we have a huge mess to clean.  On a somewhat related note, I gave the order to expand our living area, this time adding a new one on the floor below the current living quarters.  We're adding about fifty new rooms, and I'm giving the order for more cabinets to be produced; there are stray clothes everywhere that no one will dump because they claim it belongs to them, and they just need more room to store their possessions.  We have a lot more married couples now, so maybe a second set of cabinets and coffers is in order; two people are sharing the same room, after all.

Mayor's Log, 14th Hematite, 177

Another person died in the jails today; I'm not sure why no one is bringing enough food and water to the prisoners, but to handle the matter I made four dwarves nurses, whose only duties are helping with cleaning and feed and watering the wounded and imprisoned.  Clearly the food and drink stocks I ordered in every cell to prevent just this need some reworking as well.

Mayor's Log, 6th Malachite, 177

We've had six goblin snatchers in the past couple days, and just recently an ambush!  The goblins certainly aren't giving up easily, I'll give them that.  I'm thinking of rebuilding the cage traps once we deal with the prisoners we have.

Mayor's Log, 18th Galena, 177

The humans are here; I'm interested, for the first time ever, in getting every last drop of booze and morsel of food.  We have almost 250 dwarves, and their appetites and thirst seem endless.  Our brewers and cooks can't seem to keep pace; it's not as if we're on the verge of famine, we have supplies to last a couple months at any given time, but we're not building up nearly as large a reserve as I'd like for a fortress this big.  If we had to slam shut the doors for a large siege or something equally dangerous, I'm concerned about how long we'd last with our current supplies.  I'm tweaking a few things here and there, but overall I'm pleased with how we're doing.  I'll still buy whatever precious metals I can get from the humans, but my concern now is more with ensuring the fortress runs smoothly and stays well stocked.

Mayor's Log, 25th Galena, 177

Another ambush, another boost in copper and silver supplies.  The soldiers under Edem are nigh invincible against goblins, with all their practice in fighting and dodging, and the stout steel armor that covers them head to toe.  I am glad we got the cattle from the mountainhome, but between them and the vast herd of sheep, we're starting to see the pastures get worn.  I'm ordering a fair amount of sheep slaughtered (we won't need cloth nearly as much these days), and I'm planning to expand the grazing area soon.  I can't wait for our first round of calves; we need more meat to supplement our stocks since I've ordered the kitchen not to cook anything that can be brewed, or any seeds and sprouts.  The exceptions are seeds and sprouts for dye producing plants and rope reed: we've got plenty of pig tails and wool for cloth, and a vast store of dye laying about plus a steady crop of dimple cups.  I'm finding cloth to be another excellent source of exported wealth.  We're definitely not hurting financially.

Mayor's Log, 17th Timber, 177

There's been no sign of the liaison, so it's been a slow autumn.  Mostly it's just been work on the arena, new living quarters, and cleaning and finishing the refinements to the fortress.  We just spotted an ambush outside, I dispatched the soldiers to handle it in case those goblins are responsible for delaying the caravan.

Mayor's Log, 18th Timber, 177

Ah, right on time.  The caravan and liaison just arrived.  The last huge importation of meat brought our food stocks to an acceptable level, but there's still the need for luxury metals, drink, plants for brewing, and any interesting supplies.

((Slow year so far; I'll post more detailed stonesense pics of the renovated fort once it's done, but after all these little details are sorted out it's on to bigger and grander goals.  I just want a smoothly running fort first, and I'm about there.  I also have around 40 children, so as the years go by we're only gonna have more and more able hands on deck.))
On the Nature of Dwarves

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2011, 04:00:10 pm »

... We have almost 250 dwarves...
Did you turn up the population cap or just get a really big migrant wave?  Either way, that must be hell on your FPS.  I recommend ritual sacrifice of the peasants to appease the FPS god.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2011, 10:55:35 pm »

((The cap is at 250, but they won't stop friggin' breeding!  Some of my couples have nine kids, and over 50 of the population are children or babies.  I have a pretty good computer; FPS moves between 40 and 65 FPS, depending on what everyone is up to.))
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2011, 01:01:16 pm »

Special Update

"How is your dwarf doing?"

This is a special OOC update for everyone with a claimed dwarf, alive or dead, to give you a rundown on how your dwarf is doing.  Let's get to it, shall we?

Plissken

Plissken rests here in his lavishly outfitted tomb.  He left behind a lover, and was the first true hero of the fortress.  He earned 7 kills before being struck down, but his steel spear has gone on to help our current militia commander rack up over 50 more kills.

CinnabarMan

CinnabarMan (a female dwarf, since I only had so many males at embark) has a lover, and is a highly skilled woodworker on the verge of being legendary.  The only hurdle for CinnabarMan is that I use him (her, whatever) for both cutting and carpentry, so time has to be split between both.  Oh, and you killed a raccoon once.

Inglonias

Inglonias, since he was not a heroic soldier, was buried in a regular coffin.  Losing a skilled miner sucked, and required leveling up a migrant miner who wasn't quite as skilled. 

Alkhemia

The first Alkhemia was also female (again, shortage of males on embark), and was romantically involved with aussieevil before being her squad was wiped out in a siege.  She got a normal grave.

Alkhemia II

Alkhemia's second claimed dwarf is doing much better than the first.  He's a legendary armorsmith, with his own room and everything.  That's about it for now; this dwarf was a more recent migrant who hasn't had time to form strong bonds with anyone yet.

aussieevil

aussieevil is both a skilled mechanic and a legendary miner. He's gotten over Alkhemia's death it seems, as he's ecstatic about how damned good the food and drink is in this incredible dining room.

Remalle

Remalle is the mayor, for now (elections are always a dicey thing).  He hasn't managed to form any real close relationships these days: the majority of his friends from the founding of the fortress are dead, and his duties as mayor and head miner keep him from the meeting areas a tad too much.

Aramco

Aramco was killed in his first battle, while still a recruit.  He did kill a goblin in the same fight though, so at least he got that much.

Aramco II

Like others with a dead dwarf, Aramco's second dwarf is doing much better.  He's killed two deer, commands his own squad of marksdwarves, and has a wife.

KCFOS

KCFOS is still our chief medical dwarf.  A female dwarf (since at the time KCFOS asked we only had one dwarf with any medical skill), she's getting more skilled with every injury suffered (which, thanks to an increasingly tough and powerful military, are decreasing in occurrence).

Ahra

Ahra died in his first battle, quickly killed and moved to a coffin.  I can assume you know where this is heading...

Ahra II

Ahra's second dwarf has 13 kills, and is one of the most skilled swordsdwarves we have.

JacenHan

JacenHan is a legendary weaponsmith, who is charged with making most of our gear: ballista arrowheads, bolts, crossbows, melee weaponry...if we use it to kill things, he probably made it and made it well.  As with other newer migrants, he hasn't had a chance to get really close to anyone.  It doesn't help that he's usually busy with work.

Ghills

Ghills is a legendary farmer, which means he keeps our stockpiles overflowing with all the food he harvests.  He also keeps our BEDROOMS overflowing, as he and his (presumably very tired) wife have 10 kids (8 still alive).  His eldest daughter is a named hero, who killed seven goblins before dying in battle.  His youngest son somehow died of thirst as a baby.  No idea why; the wells weren't dry, and we haven't been under 300 units of booze for ages.  It is a mystery, but the large Cattenetol family is handling the losses well.

Will_Tuna

Will_Tuna is our go-to dwarf for metal furniture and crafts.  He's a hard worker who is still making friends among the population, but has some local fame as the maker of an artifact pig iron throne (currently saved in our vaults).

B4brilliant

B4brilliant is a legendary engraver who once made an artifact bracelet, and spends his time vandalizing decorating the fortress.  He seems fond of engraving the deaths of the various goblin invaders.  Here's one of a dwarf laughing as he kills a goblin pleading for its life:

So, that's the status of all the claimed dwarves in the fortress.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 12:27:37 pm »

nice
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »

Okay, sorry for the long silence on this thread.  Part of the reason for the delays is work, which has ramped up to six days a week, and frequently 70+ hours per week, leaving me little time to do, well, ANYTHING.  The other problem is that the fortress is now pretty much stable: we have a decent military, armed in steel, a well defended entrance, and a reliable source of food, booze, and money.  Thus, I decided that there was no point in continuing to play until opportunities for Fun and the like could be had.  Nobody wants to read update after update of "This week, we ate and drank, and killed a dozen goblins with no injuries on our end.  Again."

I'm currently working on the first megaproject, and because I want it to look pretty good, I'm sketching out ideas on graph paper.  I have no experience in 3D artwork, though, so it's slow going because when I do find time to work on the sketches and plans, I find they're turning out pretty awful.  I'm making progress, but I'm going to have to put this on the backburner for a bit until I can make a little more headway on my designs.  In the meanwhile, I'm starting a new fort to keep me occupied, because I'm really missing playing DF itself.  I'll be making a new thread for it today, so anyone who found my writing interesting can enjoy it.  It won't be in an Overseer's journal style, but rather a narrative, sort of like Birth of an Artifact, but not quite.  There will still be screencaps and dorfing allowed by all.  Sorry again, and hope everyone enjoys the new thread and this one when it's ready.
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]