Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Guardedrings, 31.24 Community Fortress (Vae Victus)  (Read 7070 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Guardedrings, 31.24 Community Fortress (Vae Victus)
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:49:57 am »

EDIT: Alright, I decided to take another crack at running a fortress, my last one getting chewed up after some difficulties with my computer.  As before, anyone is welcome to provide feedback, claim dwarves, and in general try to be involved in any way, shape, or form.  My ultimate goal with this fortress is to build a thriving community with a megaproject of some kind, and make the fortress itself into a massive, sprawling affair suitable for exploration in adventure mode (should anyone want to).  We'll see if my seven random dwarves can manage it.  I'll be clearing out the posts that dealt with the original backstory, and doing some minor editing (to take into account the first six people who called dorfs), and posting it with some screenshots.  This post will serve as a table of contents and the like.  Welcome to Guardedrings!

Forum Claimed Dwarves

Plissken: Grower/Herbalist/Militia Commander (Dead; killed by goblins)
CinnabarMan: Woodcutter/Carpenter (Alive)
Inglonias: Miner/Mason/Engraver (Dead; killed by trolls)
Alkhemia: Woodcutter/Marksdwarf (Dead; killed by goblins)
Alkhemia II: Armorer (Alive)
aussieevil: Miner/Mechanic (Alive)
Remalle: Miner/Mayor (Alive)
Aramco: Swordsdwarf (Dead; killed by goblins)
Aramco II: Marksdwarf (Alive)
KCFOS: Chief Medical Dwarf (Alive)
Ahra: Swordsdwarf (Dead; killed by goblins)
Ahra II: Swordsdwarf (Alive)
JacenHanLovesLegos (shortened to "JacenHan"): Weaponsmith (Alive)
Ghills: Farmer (Alive)
Will_Tuna: Blacksmith (Alive)
B4brilliant: Engraver (Alive)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:03:37 pm by Urist_McArathos »
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.19 Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:22:22 pm »

Cool, I just started one too.

I'll join: a lowly plump helmet farmer in my off-time, and a spearsdwarf in a pinch.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:49:53 pm »

((POST REMOVED, entry no longer relevant given glitch))
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:05:48 pm by Urist_McArathos »
On the Nature of Dwarves

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:17:10 pm »

I like how this is going.

I'd like to be dorf'd inf'n ye' please. I'm not picky.

Eagerly awaiting more wordage.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:55:30 pm »

I wouldn't mind being dorfed. Don't really care who I am, although if I have a choice, I'll take mason or crafter.
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:06:27 pm by Urist_McArathos »
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:26:29 pm »

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:06:54 pm by Urist_McArathos »
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:46:20 pm »

Okay, so you're all welcome to think me a complete idiot.  My computer crashed and I'd forgotten to re-enable seasonal saving in the init file.  I've lost the ENTIRE fort.

:-[

So, if everyone still wants to be involved, I'll be restarting the whole fort, with a few tweaks to the backstory (since someone claimed a mason dwarf, I'll be changing which one gets to be leader).  So sorry, everyone.  I feel so stupid to have made such a simple mistake, especially after losing my last fortress to mishaps.  I offer my profuse apologies to all 10 or so of my readers.
On the Nature of Dwarves

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 11:57:47 pm »

Scool man. Happens. Down to be there from the beginning. Get to read some FUN stuff unfold hehehehe.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 12:29:17 am »

I like to be dwarfed Crossbowmen or just anything really.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 12:32:43 am »

I'll take a starting miner.  At least you only lost a year or so, right?   :-\

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 03:15:42 am »

I'd like to be a mechanic.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 10:20:12 am »

Just deal with it and keep moving! Its alright with me!
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:22 pm »

((Okay, here's the entry from the first post edited for the new fortress.  After that are the first few entries from the fortress itself, and screenies!  Enjoy, and my apologies for the chaos.  Also, I started the first fortress and unpaused by accident, causing two of the dwarves to drown off the bat!  For some reason they were dropped into a pool when I arrived, or blundered into one immediately after, not sure which.  I was irritated that I couldn't savescum and fix that, so I had to abandon, reclaim, and start anew.  Since nothing was dug yet it was like a fresh start, but there are scattered supplies from the last one about.  No big deal, really, and I found a way to incorporate it into the story.  I switched from Ironhand to Phoebus graphics when updating to 31.21, so you'll notice that in newer screenshots.))

Expedition Leader's Log, 23rd Moonstone 167

I'm not sure how I got myself into this mess.  I wanted to do something bigger than just carving tables and the like, and signed up for some architecture courses.  Building stone bridges is a step up from stone chairs, and the pay is supposed to be better (assuming your work doesn't collapse and kill other dwarves).  They tell you it's on the job training, so I figure I'll be following around some old, wizened miner and helping him build a new trade depot or bridge.  Instead I get a crash-course in leadership training (which I figure must be to manage my builders or something), get asked a few questions about what kind of names I like for a city, and then next thing I know I'm shoved off to a caravan!  The few guards I tried to protest to were getting a good laugh out of it; apparently the mountainhome has had to resort to new and inventive ways to get dwarves to sign up for the suicide missions that are building new outposts.  It's madness, and even worse I'm in charge of this particular bit!

Terrible idea.  At least I got lucky in terms of sites: supposed to be plentiful metal, lots of local foliage and trees for burning, with a fresh water source and the like.  We're desperate for new metals so this is definitely planned as a mining expedition.  Not sure how they figured out what's in the area, but I'm not about to ask questions.  I got a brief log of my new crew, and was putting faces to descriptions as we loaded the wagon.

I've got three miners, all of whom are fairly well trained.  Remalle's the first; decent sort, cares first and foremost for digging, and with a mind for tradition but a bit of a temper apparently.  Alkhemia's the next; got a bit of training with a crossbow, and he seems calm and organized.  Good enough for me; last is a big, fat, disobedient lout named CinnabarMan.  I'm not sure how well he'll get on with the others, but at least he's good with the pick (or so I'm told).

My next two workers were woodcutters who had recieved some basic training in other fields to help them prepare for this.  Can never be sure about woodcutters, they spend too much time outside.  Let's see...Aussieevil is my first.  He's not very friendly and keeps to himself.  Been trained as a mechanic, which would be better news if he wasn't so damned clumsy.  Yeah, nothing wrong with giving and axe and notoriously lava-prone dwarven machinery in the hands of a clumsy oaf.  No way we'll wind up dead in a month.  Inglonias is the other, and apparently spends a lot of his downtime carving stonework.  He'll make an excellent crafter, or mason (depending on how much I feel like letting him take my job).

They gave me a farmer as well, some guy named Plissken.  Probably the smartest of the bunch, but a hot temper.  Extremely tough and healthy guy, and very energetic.  Decent with a spear too, I'm told.  I'm not sure why he spends his life growing mushrooms, but to each their own.  Some of us grow mushrooms, some of us get drunk and stupidly think a change is in order and wind up leading a gaggle of dwarves to near-certain death in the middle of nowhere.

They gave us a lot of supplies at least: lots of food, plenty of booze, some buckets and bags, rope, a couple guard dogs, some sheep and rabbits and chickens for food and supplies, picks.  We should be alright, I suppose.  They even gave us an anvil, which we don't really need but sends a clear message: "bring back metal, dammit!".

We'll see what we can do.

Expedition Leader's Log, 7th Opal 167

What in the name of Etur!?  They didn't pack any axes for us?  What are we supposed to use to chop down trees!?  Inglnoias said not to worry about it, they had a plan.  How nice of them to form one without me.  This is off to a lovely start.

Expedition Leader's Log, 19th Obsidian 167

We're almost at the site, and it's far too late to turn back now.  I'm told a liaison will be arriving in the fall to bring migrants and work out a trade agreement, which apparently is code for "make sure those seven gits have some metal production in the works, and bring them some more idiots to help dig the stuff".  Lovely future in store for us.  I'm working on a rough plan for now, pretty basic really.  I figure we'll wall in a bit of pasture above ground, and make a surface farm (to help expand our food supply).  Below that, on some soil (hopefully we can find some), we'll have our underground crops.  All that will connect to a shallow work area, lots of workshops.  Next level will be stockpiles and storerooms, with a trade depot.  Below that, the barracks and a choke point separating our industry from living areas.  Down a few more levels (so the sound of smithing and felling trees doesn't keep us awake), we'll start the residential areas, catacombs, etc.  I want a basic outpost up and running before we fool around with exploratory mining, which might upset our liaison (but who cares about that?).  Here goes everything...

Expedition Leader's Log, 1st Granite, 168

Great, just fucking great.  We've been here all of five minutes and already they've screwed up.  No sooner did the wagon come to a halt by a murky pool of some sort, then the damned fools start hucking everything over the sides!  I managed to stop them just after they threw one of our chickens into the water, but not before they'd tossed the rabbits, some food, most of the booze, and nearly all the seeds too!  I guess first order of business will be draining the damned pond so we can get the supplies out before they rot.  It'd be easier if two of those idiots hadn't dropped their PICKS in the water too!  I suppose just one miner will dig the resevoir, hopefully before all our food spoils, while the rest of us will unload what supplies we can and get to work on any other projects.  Plissken said he can forage for food in case the supplies rot; that's something at least.  There's a bunch of supplies scattered around here besides our own, as well.  I suppose that answers my question about how the mountainhome knew what was out here: it appears to be the remnants of the survey team.  I hope we fare better.

Not a bad site though, for elves at least.  Choked out by trees, that's gonna have to change.  I'm not sure how far down magma is anyway, so charcoal will be nice to have in abundance.  Fire clay nearby, so that'll make for easy to make jugs and such.  I figure the first order of business will be to dig out a resevoir for that pool and drain it, then seal it up until we need the water.  Next, I'll draw up some basic plans.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:08:45 pm by Urist_McArathos »
On the Nature of Dwarves

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Guardedrings, 31.19 Fortress (For real start this time!)
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:49 pm »

I like how the narrative is "the same but different" as the first go.  Nice touch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5