Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hello there. I'm new here, i guess.  (Read 5025 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Hello there. I'm new here, i guess.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 02:22:04 pm »

It's because these forums are impossible to flame or troll.  I mean, what's someone gonna do?  Come try and gross us out with slaughtered kittens, melting children, and 100z tall golden phalli?  In fact, any attempt to troll us, would simply result in a discussion about how the method of trolling could be done better.  Slaughtered Kittens becomes auto-butcher pits, melting children becomes waterfalls-pushing-children-into-pits, and phallic towers... well...

Also, I find that most of the more extreme circles are disgusted by DF.  Hardened /b/tards and EDiots shudder when they hear about even a simple fortress.  Statements like "I had my best engravers dismembered in a drowning pit accident, and wasn't able to build my failed mood suicide tower above my kitten farm, so I abandoned" are what keeps DF on top of the Internet's list of avoided places.  Or would that be the bottom?

TheYeIIowDucK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 02:31:02 pm »

Hey there, dwarf overseers. I am new to these forums and Dwarf Fortress overall. I started playing about a week and a half ago, and got a little addicted :/

Unfortunately, non of my fortresses managed to survive longer than 3-4 years. Please don't judge me! D:

Anyway, I hope to stay in your community here. From what I've seen, it's a very nice one and not full of mentally challenged little kids :D

Suggested reading material:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Boatmurdered
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Introduction/
It's from an older, 2D version of the game. A lot of things have changed since then.

This thread describes a more recent succession fort:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64258.0

Oh yes! I already read about Boatmurdered! In fact - it is what made me look into Dwarf Fortress in the first place!
Welcome to the community, Duck. As others have said, for playing a week and a half, it sounds like you're maintaining pretty good forts. If you haven't seen it already, I recommend checking out this tutorial. It's extremely useful, and will give you a good hand in understanding anything you don't know yet. Besides the military. Also, grab Dwarf Therapist if you don't already have it. This tool is invaluable after 40 or so dwarves.

Again, welcome to bay12, and enjoy the kitten roasts.
Already tried that tutorial out. It's quite helpful, but I prefer to learn things myself and using the wiki. The Dwarf Therapist looks really interesting and awesome.

And yes. I already noticed that you can kill, cook and eat kittens in this (twisted) game.

EDIT: I also noticed that in a lot of screenshot people are using a certain mod that improves the graphics in the game (for example - the screenshot here). Any help/info on what it is and where can I get it?
ASCII is nice, and i'm kind of a fan of retro graphics, but after a while it gets confusing and ugly.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:35:42 pm by TheYeIIowDucK »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 02:57:56 pm »

That screenshot it Mayday's Graphic Set, by May Green.  I don't think he's got a .19 version yet, but Phoebus is also very good and is certainly .19 friendly.  Check the modding forum and do a search for "graphic set".

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 03:03:12 pm »

I'd recommend Phoebus' Graphic Set. Being able to tell the approximate value of gems from just looking at the tiles is nice.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 03:09:07 pm »

......build my failed mood suicide tower...

Hey, great idea! I'm building a 35-z aboveground goblin dropper to harden up the militia and was going to parapet the top to avoid any accidental falls, but now I remember that safety is for humans. We'll definitely include a gangplank to give the suicides an access point.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 03:14:58 pm »

For best results, build your crafts shops atop the tower.  I had trouble convincing depressed dwarves to suicide until I put the crafts shop at the edge, then they were like "Awwwwww fuck, there's no shell!  But there is a tower edge about five steps away..."  For added benefit, make sure your important dwarves are at the bottom, like your armor/weapon crafters and your military.  Chances are they'll witness the death and be a little bit closer to "doesn't really care about anything".

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 03:15:46 pm »

......build my failed mood suicide tower...

Hey, great idea! I'm building a 35-z aboveground goblin dropper to harden up the militia and was going to parapet the top to avoid any accidental falls, but now I remember that safety is for humans. We'll definitely include a gangplank to give the suicides an access point.

In order to stay on-topic with the thread, make sure it's phallus-shaped.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 03:17:57 pm »

I want to make a comment on that, but I'm afraid I'll get banned...

nevermind.

Dress the goblins in white first.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 03:19:35 pm »

A tip with the plants and brewing: start farming with plump helmets only, go into z Kitchen and disable cooking on plump helmets but leave brewing enabled, and have brewing going 24/7 along with barrel production as needed. Don't be afraid to slaughter animals if food is running out, and cook meat to make sure it doesn't rot on you. Also if you have any fishing going on make sure you have a fishery as they won't eat whole uncut fish.

I normally disable cooking on all plants and save them for brewing, then cook all meat and force all dwarves onto a meat and beer diet. Took me a while to find the z Kitchen screen so I could stop them from cooking my brewing material.

The best tip is, when in doubt, search df.magmawiki.org as almost everything you'd want to know is there.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 05:59:17 pm »

I'm new to the forums as well, though I've been playing for a while. Most of my fortresses die before that, although that has more to do with unfortunate accidents involving a lethal combination of magma and boredom.  ;)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 06:36:46 pm »

A standard feature in all my forts for ages now has been a garbage chute. I'm not sure how deep it is - about 10-15 z-levels, probably, a 1x1 open space next to a staircase. Everything that's going to rot gets chucked down the chute, and the miasma (the purple 'something just rotted' gas) will rise up the shaft but not far enough to stink up your hallways.

Plus you can throw captured goblins down it, and they explode on impact. I was very pleased when I discovered this. Their assorted limbs can fly up the shaft though, and land on the staircase halfway up, and when that limb then rots you get miasma in the hallways again. Also, goblin thieves can escape while they're being led from the cage to the pit, so be careful with them!

When I start a fort, I dig out the entrance hallway (with space for the bridges, traps etc I'll add later) and a room that will eventually house the trade depot, and use both as a food stockpile and temporary dormitory/dining room/mason's workshop until I dig out more of the fortress. I haven't built any epic dining rooms yet; they're all basically square with tables and chairs inside,  only on one z-level, the only advanced feature being a foot-bath at the entrance.

Kudos for the g-mod/TF2 avatar by the way! If you like Team Fortress 2, you'll love Dwarf Fortress - it has many, many more hats!

Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 06:39:57 pm »

I highly recommend the Lazy Newb Pack http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.msg1319616 for all your graphics needs. It also has Dwarf Therapist and some needed utilities included.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 06:55:19 pm »

Something I learned that helps me personally: until you get a proper military going, make sure you have an emergency drawbridge that will seal off your fortress in case of a massive (or multiple) seige(s).
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 07:09:29 pm »

Brawbridge, that is, not a door.  Doors get their asses kicked from any direction, while bridges have proper asses that are only kicked from behind.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 09:24:26 pm »

I normally disable cooking on all plants and save them for brewing, then cook all meat and force all dwarves onto a meat and beer diet. Took me a while to find the z Kitchen screen so I could stop them from cooking my brewing material.

Force? FORCE?Sir you are not forcing your dwarves into that siet, you are allowing it, and every one of them dies happily in the throws of extacy induced liver/heart failure.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.
Pages: 1 [2] 3