Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hello there. I'm new here, i guess.  (Read 5023 times)

TheYeIIowDucK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hello there. I'm new here, i guess.
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:08:42 am »

Hey there, dwarf overseers. I am new to these forums and Dwarf Fortress overall. I started playing about a week and a half ago, and got a little addicted :/

Unfortunately, non of my fortresses managed to survive longer than 3-4 years. Please don't judge me! D:

Anyway, I hope to stay in your community here. From what I've seen, it's a very nice one and not full of mentally challenged little kids :D

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hello there. I'm new here, i guess.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:14:41 am »

it's a very nice one and not full of mentally challenged little kids :D

Ha dont make me laugh start reading the posts and you will find out were mentally sick people here in bay12

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:24:15 am »

Yes, but we are articulate mentally sick people. That's good enough for the internets.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:24:30 am »

Ha dont make me laugh start reading the posts and you will find out were mentally sick people here in bay12

We're all warped in one way or another. Bay12 forums: Yet another Insane Asylum on the internet.

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:43:02 am »

We're all warped in one way or another. Bay12 forums: Yet another Insane Asylum on the internet.
but its the best insane house ever snd i mean !!EVER!!

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:43:18 am »

Welcome to the madhouse Duck.

Also 3 year survival is fine. It means your outpost is a testament to dwarven fortitude.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:47:20 am »

Also 3 year survival is fine. It means your outpost is a testament to dwarven fortitude.

I've never lasted more than five years before abandoning because of boredom.

Red Cossack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:12:28 pm »

Welcome to Ward 12, err I mean Bay 12....

TheYeIIowDucK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 12:28:18 pm »

Well, I mainly gathered plants for a food supply and screamed at the screen, frustrated by the fact that my dwarves had to drink every 30 seconds. My first year had passed without me even finishing my "great" hall :(
Eventually, I got all stupid and sent one of the miner into a suicide mission involving water. Before late, the whole area was flooded by that purple gas, and from that point everything went downhill. I eventually abandoned the fortress after some of the retarded dwarves died off starvation even though I had like 50 plants in my stockpile.

articulate mentally sick people
That's THE best you can get on the internet.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:34:02 pm by TheYeIIowDucK »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 12:30:40 pm »

Well, I mainly gathered plants for a food supply and scream at the screen, frustrated by the fact that my dwarves had to drink every 30 seconds. My first year had passed without me even finishing my "great" hall :(
Eventually, I got all stupid and sent one of the miner into a suicide mission involving water. Before late, the whole area was flooded by that purple gas, and from that point everything went downhill. I eventually abandoned the fortress after some of the retarded dwarves died off starvation even though I had like 50 plants in my stockpile.

That's the best you can get on the internet.
Yes, but we are articulate mentally sick people. That's good enough for the internets.

Not all plants are edible raw.

Also: You are a successful DF player!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:58:20 pm »

If you're getting forts to run for 3~4 years after only 10 days of playing, you're doing pretty good. After you get the hang of things, you'll figure out what playstyle you want to use.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 01:01:50 pm »

Well, I mainly gathered plants for a food supply and scream at the screen, frustrated by the fact that my dwarves had to drink every 30 seconds. My first year had passed without me even finishing my "great" hall :(

Also: You are a successful DF player!

^^^ This.  Flooding your fort, getting miasma choking the halls and watching your dorfs die of utter stupidity starvation with food in the stockpiles is a sign of superior dorfiness.

Or as the classic line goes:  "WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!  Hope you like miasma."

I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 01:19:35 pm »

Hey there, dwarf overseers. I am new to these forums and Dwarf Fortress overall. I started playing about a week and a half ago, and got a little addicted :/

Unfortunately, non of my fortresses managed to survive longer than 3-4 years. Please don't judge me! D:

Anyway, I hope to stay in your community here. From what I've seen, it's a very nice one and not full of mentally challenged little kids :D

Suggested reading material:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Boatmurdered
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Introduction/
It's from an older, 2D version of the game. A lot of things have changed since then.

This thread describes a more recent succession fort:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64258.0

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 02:07:24 pm »

Welcome to the community, Duck. As others have said, for playing a week and a half, it sounds like you're maintaining pretty good forts. If you haven't seen it already, I recommend checking out this tutorial. It's extremely useful, and will give you a good hand in understanding anything you don't know yet. Besides the military. Also, grab Dwarf Therapist if you don't already have it. This tool is invaluable after 40 or so dwarves.

Again, welcome to bay12, and enjoy the kitten roasts.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 02:14:47 pm »

We may be mentally twisted, but we're a very nice bunch of people as internet forums go. I've only seen someone being rude to another person once, maybe twice the whole time I've been here.  Considering the flaming that goes on in many other game sites, that's extraordinary.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: [1] 2 3