Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legendary bolts question  (Read 1249 times)

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
Legendary bolts question
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:07:49 am »

As per title - I has legendary bone carver making legendary camel bone bolts.

Do they hurt/maim more?
Will they hurt ME more - i.e. will their use lead to his tantrum-ing?

Thoughts?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary bolts question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:43:39 am »

Stray bolts that survive their flight, and are laying on the ground, will be stolen by macaque and other thieves, which will cause trouble.  Their regular use, much like masterwork meals, will not cause any trouble.  I'm uncertain if they fly better or hit harder.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:10:23 pm »

They might stick in more often, assuming increased quality levels give a better edge.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:18:53 pm »

My understanding was that bolts got the same sort of quality modifiers that weapons do, dealing almost entirely edged-type damage.  So they get the same penetration/damage modifiers based on quality.

The quality of the crossbow only matters if used for bashing.

goge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:27:06 pm »

The quality of the crossbow only matters if used for bashing.
Quote from: DF.MagmaWiki
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Crossbow
The quality of the crossbow affects the accuracy of the shot, while the material of the crossbow is unimportant.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »

haha, so I now need to make epic crossbows? and bone bolts might become good old destruction bolts?! awesome!

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:49:48 pm »

Stray bolts that survive their flight, and are laying on the ground, will be stolen by macaque and other thieves, which will cause trouble.  Their regular use, much like masterwork meals, will not cause any trouble.  I'm uncertain if they fly better or hit harder.

... Oh shit.

I better get my haulers out there. Or build my legendary bonecrafter some better stuff.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:54:42 pm »

... Oh shit.

I better get my haulers out there. Or build my legendary bonecrafter some better stuff.
That and get him to spam out way more masterpieces. The bad thought received from stolen/destroyed masterpieces is inversely proportional to how many that dwarf has made. If he only ever made one and it got compromised, expect instant sanity failure. 100 masterpieces and he'll probably be more bothered by vermin than losing a single masterpiece.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:07:49 pm »

And since bolts are made in batches of 5 for bone...

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »

You will be ok.  Just don't atom smash a bunch of singles.  That could cause problems.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:56:43 pm »

If it were me, I'd go into z Stocks, hit tab, and forbid the legendary bolt(s).

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 03:27:47 pm »

non-siege ammo types have attack types, so i guess they are influenced by quality levels as weapons do, i.e. masterwork ones have 2x to-hit chance.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 03:43:58 pm »

If it were me, I'd go into z Stocks, hit tab, and forbid the legendary bolt(s).
That is exactly how you'd chip away at the soul of your legendary bone carver - thieves don't give a damn about what you forbid. You need to unforbid them all and bring them back into the fort. That or forbid them before they're ever picked up but that's more tedious.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 04:23:11 pm »

... Oh shit.

That and get him to spam out way more masterpieces. The bad thought received from stolen/destroyed masterpieces is inversely proportional to how many that dwarf has made. If he only ever made one and it got compromised, expect instant sanity failure. 100 masterpieces and he'll probably be more bothered by vermin than losing a single masterpiece.

Oh that is good then. I think he has more masterpiece bone bolts made than I have normal bones in my body.

Productive little bugger.

I think I'll make his room nicer anyways.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 04:35:06 pm »

Hey, he's doing a good job, right?  Dwarves who do good get rewarded with furniture.  And don't say that's elfy of me, because we all know that you all honor your one heroic military dwarf, or that one insane mood dwarf who crawled to the masonry using his chin after all his limbs were hacked off, and proceeded to make an artifact coffin, and then had the gall to stay alive.  Cool guys get rewards, and ammo producers should as well!
Pages: [1] 2