Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: What's your music choice?  (Read 24283 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's your music choice?
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2011, 08:43:21 am »

When I'm farewelling a fort, saying goodbye to a treasured dwarf or having dwarves fight a losing battle, the Ice Cap Zone music works well. It's sad, calm and hopeful all at the same time.

Just music to zone out to would be

Ultra Thizz and Dreamzz by a glaswegian electro producer. It's godly stuff and I have decent speakers on my computer so it sounds epic.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:03:32 pm by Reudh »

Noctane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2011, 07:49:44 am »

I personally can't get enough of the default music, but if i must choose...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw , definitely.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2011, 08:34:23 am »

i actually got the soundless version of it and play with no music or sounds running and deleted the sound stuff for the intro and set the intro to not play
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2011, 11:24:43 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcjPFAV1foU&ob=av3e works really well to zone to.
I do so love the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Good stuff. :P

I'm building a 'Siege Music Playlist' on my youtube channel. So far it's all RPG musics, i haven't really found any others that fit DF's medieval theme.
Both of these two are really great for sieges or ambushes against a foe you've little hope against, especially the Trance Kuja song.

"Dark Messenger" (Trance Kuja Battle) from FFIX

"Boss Battle" from FFIX

There's about a bazillion others.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2011, 11:44:08 pm »

If I have any music playing, it's usually my rock/celtic/celtic rock mix - but I've got a ton of tracks in those genres, so that's not really unique to playing dwarf fortress.

Oddly, I find the opening track from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind to be good DF music too.  That might be from the association, the slow pan over a tapestry (engraving?  I can't remember if it was a tapestry or mosaic and am too lazy to plug up my DVD) depicting ancient disaster placed against very pretty music.  I guess that might sum up an "average" DF experience: peaceful, secure, and productive until utter destruction by fire and war ensues.  Now I want to mod in a Giant Warror/God Warrior megabeast. or start a challenge above-ground embark pinned between a coast and an evil forest/jungle... blargh.

Fire Emblem music isn't bad either, but I swear it makes me more protective of my expendable militia dwarves if it's playing while there's a fight on.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2011, 11:56:09 pm »

Those who have experienced Dwarf fortress without listening to Loreena Mckennitt, have hardly experienced Dwarf Fortress at all.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2011, 01:50:48 pm »

Mostly modern dance/electronica- plus a bunch of alternative and other misc. music that a friend had on his music library (we share a comp, so I took it :P). Pandora works, too, as well as movies and stuff that you can 'watch' audio-only.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2011, 02:01:48 pm »

On a related note there is a wonderful redone version of the DF theme here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQG7WUdPYvE

If I'm not playing that, I like to either turn on the net radio to metal or folk metal or sometimes play the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Those are great for any fantasy game, makes it feel all epic-y and stuff. :D
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2011, 03:22:15 pm »

I listen to Rammstein, when epic battle comes, i turn on "Ich tu dir weh" which is german for I hurt you.
Song is about something else, but hurting goblins with magma seems to be enough.
Laichzeit and Weisses Fleisch for normal gameplay.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2011, 03:33:13 pm »

Ephixia's ZeldaStep.  :D

Pelander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2011, 04:18:05 pm »

Haha, I actually listen to the in-game music, turned up to a decent volume. It's repetitive, but not distracting.

Amusingly, the music will put my girlfriend to sleep within about 15 minutes of her hearing it. She sometimes likes to watch me play -- in that case I'll change to Pandora or she'll be down before I get the game loaded.

ddonohu2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2011, 05:00:28 pm »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 05:03:21 pm by ddonohu2 »

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2011, 05:08:37 pm »

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2011, 05:16:24 pm »

Just heard this, and decided that when Oblivion isn't breaking my ear drums with trumpets that are ten times louder than in-game ambiance music, Reign of the Septims makes epic seige-fighting music.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2011, 06:00:03 pm »

I, for one, use the default music :P

Or, if I feel like it, I pull up a random Homestuck album and listen straight through. That's fun too.

This is pretty much what I do. Most of the tracks in the Homestuck albums don't have lyrics and so aren't too distracting and the songs sometimes fit quite well.
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16